Increasing racist attacks on Asians (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/09/attacks-asian-american-elderly-/

I will admit, I didn't know anything about these these strings of attacks and the murder of elderly Asian American out west. Really disturbing. In most cases, they have caught sub human scum that have committed these crimes.
    In the case of the murder of Ratanapakdee, I sincerely hope the death penalty will be sought, although that is not possible in the state of CA.

Laws should not make a distinction between adults based on race as the law in 'blind'. Completely different than age
    So you can’t visually tell when someone is young, old, middle aged?

The law is blind except for when you agree that it shouldn't be. Gotcha.

Baking a cake is different than selling a cellphone, but we clearly aren't talking about just baking. It is baking a cake specifically to sell to a client. And a store that refuses to sell an iPhone to someone based on their race or sexuality is just as wrong as someone refusing to bake and sell a cake for someone based on their race or sexuality.

A barber charging more for certain services is perfectly fine, much like a baker charging more for a three-tiered wedding cake with elaborate piping work than for a quarter sheet cake with standard icing and no decoration. What does this have to do with intentionally refusing a service to someone based on their sexuality?

This isn't always true. And even if it were, it doesn't matter. The law says that everyone is to be treated equally when it comes to public services and accommodations. Do you agree with the law on this matter?
    When did I say the law should not be blind? So no, you don't understand.

No, they are not. One is a mass produced good, the other is a creation of a person mind, art if you will.

If it take an artist more time (that is essentially labor) to motivate, meditate and create a product because he did not 'feel' his muse and therefore is taking away from other projects, like a 'happy birthday" cake with a stupid Iron theme. If it takes more time, it costs more. I am willing to bet there is a bakery in walking distance that does the gay marriage/Transition day cakes often and they probably could create one in no time at all and lot less cheaper. Does that make sense to you?

Define your term 'public'? Would a store that is also membership based be considered public?
    We are essentially debating what constitutional right trumps the other. One being the right to refuse server to anyone vs. the civil right act.

When did I say the law should not be blind? So no, you don't understand.

When you said that age should be taken into consideration. You acknowledge that there are circumstances where the judicial system should be able to seek harsher punishments based on an uncontrollable characteristic.

No, they are not. One is a mass produced good, the other is a creation of a person mind, art if you will.

This argument is a ridiculous attempt to justify discrimination. If I own a pizza joint and decide that my pizzas are an artistic creation of my mind, should I be able to legally ban minorities from my business?

If it take an artist more time (that is essentially labor) to motivate, meditate and create a product because he did not 'feel' his muse and therefore is taking away from other projects, like a 'happy birthday" cake with a stupid Iron theme. If it takes more time, it costs more. I am willing to bet there is a bakery in walking distance that does the gay marriage/Transition day cakes often and they probably could create one in no time at all and lot less cheaper. Does that make sense to you?

Not a bit. You don't need a muse to bake a cake, you need a recipe. If my three-tiered straight wedding cake costs X, the same cake for a gay wedding should also cost X.

Define your term 'public'? Would a store that is also membership based be considered public?

If you mean a store like Costco, yes.

We are essentially debating what constitutional right trumps the other. One being the right to refuse server to anyone vs. the civil right act.

One doesn't trump the other. A business can legally refuse service, they just can't be discriminatory in doing so. It's really easy to understand. Refusing service to someone being an butt crevasse is fine because being an butt crevasse is a choice. Refusing service to someone because they are African American or gay or disabled is not fine because those things are not choices.

@Farb -

I can’t believe you don’t understand what makes something public. It isn’t hard to define.

Are you a business? Do you utilize streets, utilities, and emergency services ? Then you are in the public domain and therefore must service those whose taxes pay for those public services.

Now you are able to refuse service to an individual because they are, say, a MAGA idiot, but you can’t refuse because they are gay - because the second are a protected class. Red hat wearing mouth breathers are not.

Does that clear it up for you?

……Gun ownership rates soared to record heightsduring the pandemic, as more than 5 millionpeople became first-time owners, according to the trade organization National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).

That includes Asian Americans. As videos of anti-Asian violence began flooding social media and cable news, gun sales to Asian Americans, though still significantly lower than those of other racial groups, rose by an estimated 43%.

Asian Americans who experienced or witnessed increased acts of racism at the start of the pandemic were more likely to buy firearms for self-defense, according to a new peer-reviewed studyfrom the University of Michigan and Eastern Michigan University. More than half of those who purchased a gun are first-time owners.

“Racism is like a time bomb that causes stress and anxiety, which increases people’s intention to buy firearms,” said Tsu-Yin Wu, the lead researcher and director of EMU’s Center for Health Disparities Innovation and Studies. “Not only are people carrying it on more days, they’re also carrying it more than 50% of the time.”

During the pandemic, a host of Asian American affinity groups have emerged in southern California to provide resources and a sense of community to new gun owners.

Tom Nguyen founded LA Progressive Shooters to provide firearms education to people of color, after seeing a “massive increase in first time gun owners”, particularly single women and queer people……

The National Rifle Association, meanwhile, has taken the pandemic as an opportunity to more aggressively market guns to Asian Americans. Varun Nikore, executive director of AAPI Victory Alliance, said it’s opportunistic for gun manufacturers to court the group given the existing data linking rising gun ownership rates to firearm-related deaths.

“They’re directly exploiting our pain and trauma by doing direct and targeted campaigns to increase the amount of gun ownership in communities that have not typically had it,” he said. “And they’re doing it just for profit.”…….

A 56-year-old woman stabbed an 18-year-old Indiana University student while riding a public bus in Bloomington and told a detective she did it because the victim was “Chinese,” according to court documents obtained by The Washington Post.

Billie Ranard Davis of Bloomington approached the Carmel, Ind., woman on Wednesday as she was waiting to exit the bus and began stabbing her repeatedly in the head, according to a probable-cause affidavit.

Security camera footage showed that Davis and the woman had not interacted before the attack, the affidavit said. The footage showed Davis stabbing or attempting to stab her about seven times before returning to her seat on the bus. A witness later followed Davis on foot until police were able to arrest her sometime after 4:45 p.m.

The student received treatment at a Bloomington hospital for several head wounds. Her condition was not released.

According to the affidavit, Davis mentioned targeting the woman “due to [her] being Chinese” and “made statements that race was a factor in why she stabbed her.” Davis also told the detective that she attacked her because it would be “one less person to blow up our country.”…….

@Farb -

I can’t believe you don’t understand what makes something public. It isn’t hard to define.

Are you a business? Do you utilize streets, utilities, and emergency services ? Then you are in the public domain and therefore must service those whose taxes pay for those public services.

Now you are able to refuse service to an individual because they are, say, a MAGA idiot, but you can’t refuse because they are gay - because the second are a protected class. Red hat wearing mouth breathers are not.

Does that clear it up for you?
    It does and thank you for proving my point.

My point, protected classes, by their existence is racist, sexist, misogynist and any other 'ism' and 'phobe' you want to dream up. Perfect for those that want to silence their political desistence.

My point, protected classes, by their existence is racist, sexist, misogynist and any other 'ism' and 'phobe' you want to dream up. Perfect for those that want to silence their political desistence.

Now that I know that it pisses off the red hats so much, I'm going to wear my "protected class" cape the next time I go to the rural parts of Texas. :0056:

Last edited:

Nope. Not racist. In the west racism evolved as an ideology against, primarily, Africans based upon skin color. If protection were not required then why did Jim Crow exist? Why did redlining exist? Why do we still see incidents of unequal action based upon being Black? Why do women get paid less for doing the same job? Why are Gays/Trans called groomers? Why do men deem that they are the arbiters of how women must dress?

Do the country a favor. Don’t vote anymore.

c'mon, we all know if we just ignored everything after slavery was outlawed, we wouldn't have a shred of racism today. Its all about ignoring it and it'll go away.. lol

WASHINGTON (AP) — As if running a restaurant during a pandemic wasn’t tough enough, Christopher Wong also had to contend with a racist troll.

“I will not have my dog eat in this place because they might cook him,” read the Yelp review of Wong’s eatery, the Curry Up Cafe in suburban Los Angeles. “The owner works for the Chinese government.”

Yelp removed the review after Wong and several regular customers complained, but not before it had already been seen by an unknown number of potential customers.

“If one person read that and decided not to come in, that’s someone who could have been a satisfied customer for years,” Wong told The Associated Press.

Last year, Yelp, which is based in San Francisco, removed more than 2,000 racist business reviews before they went online — a nearly tenfold jump over the year before.

It’s a sharp increase that reflects improved efforts by Yelp to combat racist content and shows how even a site known for reviews of restaurants and repair services can become ensnared in America’s ongoing battle over online civility.

While the content included hate speech targeting Black, Latino and LGBTQ people, too, the largest increase was seen in reviews denigrating Asian Americans and Asian American-owned businesses, according to Yelp, which included the figures in its annual trust and safety report, released Wednesday.

In 2021, Yelp proactively removed only nine posts that included anti-Asian hate. In 2022, it removed 475.

Yelp first began tracking racial hate speech on its platform in 2020, just as Asian Americans experienced a rise in racially motivated hatred related to COVID-19, which was first identified in China. Then-President Donald Trump added to the controversy, referring to the coronavirus as “kung flu” and “ the Chinese virus.”

In that context, an increase in racist restaurant reviews isn’t surprising, according to University of Michigan marketing professor Justin Huang, author of a recent study that found Asian restaurants saw an 18% drop in customers compared with non-Asian restaurants in the same communities in 2020, equating to more than $7 billion in lost revenue.

“We’ve seen an increase in violent incidents, in random attacks,” Huang said. “Anti-Asian stigmatization during the pandemic really runs the gamut.”

In total, Yelp said, it removed 26,500 business reviews last year that violated its rules about hate speech, threats or lewdness, an overall increase of 1,300 over the year before……

WASHINGTON (AP) — As if running a restaurant during a pandemic wasn’t tough enough, Christopher Wong also had to contend with a racist troll.

“I will not have my dog eat in this place because they might cook him,” read the Yelp review of Wong’s eatery, the Curry Up Cafe in suburban Los Angeles. “The owner works for the Chinese government.”

Yelp removed the review after Wong and several regular customers complained, but not before it had already been seen by an unknown number of potential customers.

“If one person read that and decided not to come in, that’s someone who could have been a satisfied customer for years,” Wong told The Associated Press.

Last year, Yelp, which is based in San Francisco, removed more than 2,000 racist business reviews before they went online — a nearly tenfold jump over the year before.

It’s a sharp increase that reflects improved efforts by Yelp to combat racist content and shows how even a site known for reviews of restaurants and repair services can become ensnared in America’s ongoing battle over online civility.

While the content included hate speech targeting Black, Latino and LGBTQ people, too, the largest increase was seen in reviews denigrating Asian Americans and Asian American-owned businesses, according to Yelp, which included the figures in its annual trust and safety report, released Wednesday.

In 2021, Yelp proactively removed only nine posts that included anti-Asian hate. In 2022, it removed 475.

Yelp first began tracking racial hate speech on its platform in 2020, just as Asian Americans experienced a rise in racially motivated hatred related to COVID-19, which was first identified in China. Then-President Donald Trump added to the controversy, referring to the coronavirus as “kung flu” and “ the Chinese virus.”

In that context, an increase in racist restaurant reviews isn’t surprising, according to University of Michigan marketing professor Justin Huang, author of a recent study that found Asian restaurants saw an 18% drop in customers compared with non-Asian restaurants in the same communities in 2020, equating to more than $7 billion in lost revenue.

“We’ve seen an increase in violent incidents, in random attacks,” Huang said. “Anti-Asian stigmatization during the pandemic really runs the gamut.”

In total, Yelp said, it removed 26,500 business reviews last year that violated its rules about hate speech, threats or lewdness, an overall increase of 1,300 over the year before……

I remember Yelp from many years ago, back then they had a well earned reputation amoung union tradesmen for pushing referrals of sleazy fly by night repair contractors upon unsuspecting innocent home owners.

I didn't know about the restaurant part, and never found out because I never went to their site after the goods on them circulated around the union shops all those years ago. I'm kind of surprised that they're still floating around.

When someone said something racist then it turned out they were affiliated with far right groups or far right websites

Then you can say “I’m not surprised “

Now someone says something racist and it turns out they are deeply involved in their church and belong to several religious groups

And the response is “I’m still not surprised “

How sad is that?
    Sad? Very. Unsurprising? Unfortunately, yes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom