Increasing racist attacks on Asians (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/09/attacks-asian-american-elderly-/

I will admit, I didn't know anything about these these strings of attacks and the murder of elderly Asian American out west. Really disturbing. In most cases, they have caught sub human scum that have committed these crimes.
    In the case of the murder of Ratanapakdee, I sincerely hope the death penalty will be sought, although that is not possible in the state of CA.

Can’t wait to see the right’s arguments for decriminalizing pedophilia and your inevitable defense of it once they send out their talking points.
    Matt Gaetz approves this post.

How often has a white person had to think about the mental calculus of being the ONLY white person in the room?
    Not to even pretend for a half second that I agree with any of the bullshirt Farb is shirtting all over this thread, but I went to McDonough 28 for the second semester of my ninth grade year. I was the only white kid in the whole school, much less the classroom. That was my choice though. Transferred to McMain the next year.

And as far as redlining goes, pre-Katrina, Lakeview was straight up the only 99% white area in Orleans Parish. They even created the LCPD to stop black people who were driving or walking in the neighborhood. If you had a little LCPD sticker on your car you could get away with murder in Lakeview in broad daylight. And don't get me started on the sentencing discrepancies. I should have been sentenced to at least 10 years hard time when I was 26. The little amount of time I did in JPCC during drug court for violations told the true story of criminal justice in LA. The 70 year old man in the bunk below me was going away for 25 years for a 4th DWI. I had 3 first DWI's by the time I was 21.

Why isn't there a White Entertainment Television channel or an Ivory Magazine or a Miss White America???????

This has been hashed and rehashed a million times

How often is a white person the ONLY white person in the room? And the room can be a classroom, dorm room or office?

How often has a white person had to think about the mental calculus of being the ONLY white person in the room?

In the 90s my girlfriend was in the running for a job that would have required her to move to a city that had less than 5% black population

She didn't want the job for a variety of reasons but that was one of the concerns

And it wasn't just concerns over racism, it was more practical

Are there salons that know how to handle black hair? are there stores that sell the hair and skin products she needs? Will there be restaurants serving the food she want to eat? Will radio stations play the music she wants to hear? Will the artists she likes ever come for a concert? Will bookstores sell the books she wants to read? Will theaters show the movies she wants to see? etc.

One of her white co-workers said that he'd never thought about that

To which her response was a simple - "because you never have to. because you will never have to"

I’m the only white person in my office of 20+. I am usually the only white person when involved in agency or inter-agency meetings.

There was a white woman hired the same time as I. My union rep went to my black male boss and asked why he was hiring all these white people - 2. When the white woman became a supervisor, multiple employees complained they felt threatened by her. They ran her out of there by just filing baseless complaints to the union that she had to fight. That same union rep forced a second round of interviews for an internal only position (something I’ve never seen done) when I scored the highest for a position. I still got the position after scoring the highest a second time.

I’ve been on upper management level conference calls where it was made clear the previous Asian, Latino managers couldn’t address equity issues because “they don’t know the issues we face”. It’s also been made clear that management will become more reflective of the employee population, 90-95% POC in a city with 37% non-Hispanic white. I have purposely avoided taking a management position despite my experience because of my race and the previous incidents.

My experience is probably unusual and means nothing, but I think diversity is innately valuable. Things get pretty out of whack when there isn’t diversity or when people self-segregate based on immutable characteristics. I think it’s different when people come together vs create exclusive space.

Farb, honestly, you’re becoming a parody. When we get our marching orders? Jeez Louise, man, you need to take a break from the alt right fear mongering. Its not reality and it makes you either miserable or an outrage junkie. Its ridiculous.

You‘re the only person on this site that knew anything about this crazy theory that you brought up because one college was thinking about assigning a woman’s club their own floor in a dorm. Yet you think by the end of summer we will all be self-segregating?

Don’t you think you’re being a bit outlandish?

I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time we’ve seen the “this is how it starts”/“marching orders” post too. It may not have been Farb, but it was a poster in that cloud.

I’m the only white person in my office of 20+. I am usually the only white person when involved in agency or inter-agency meetings.

There was a white woman hired the same time as I. My union rep went to my black male boss and asked why he was hiring all these white people - 2. When the white woman became a supervisor, multiple employees complained they felt threatened by her. They ran her out of there by just filing baseless complaints to the union that she had to fight. That same union rep forced a second round of interviews for an internal only position (something I’ve never seen done) when I scored the highest for a position. I still got the position after scoring the highest a second time.

I’ve been on upper management level conference calls where it was made clear the previous Asian, Latino managers couldn’t address equity issues because “they don’t know the issues we face”. It’s also been made clear that management will become more reflective of the employee population, 90-95% POC in a city with 37% non-Hispanic white. I have purposely avoided taking a management position despite my experience because of my race and the previous incidents.

My experience is probably unusual and means nothing, but I think diversity is innately valuable. Things get pretty out of whack when there isn’t diversity or when people self-segregate based on immutable characteristics. I think it’s different when people come together vs create exclusive space.

Yeah, I've seen this on a few occasions before. People are biased. They can't help themselves no matter what color they are or where they come from.

Farb, honestly, you’re becoming a parody. When we get our marching orders? Jeez Louise, man, you need to take a break from the alt right fear mongering. Its not reality and it makes you either miserable or an outrage junkie. Its ridiculous.

You‘re the only person on this site that knew anything about this crazy theory that you brought up because one college was thinking about assigning a woman’s club their own floor in a dorm. Yet you think by the end of summer we will all be self-segregating?

Don’t you think you’re being a bit outlandish?
    I guess we will wait and see.

Well, that was an example. There are a lot more of the push to self-segregate. Just because you don't like it and don't like me doesn't mean it is not happening and like I said, we will see. This will be a common debate from the left in short amount of time.

No, I do not.

Farb, I don’t dislike you, I don’t really even know you. I do dislike that you seem to have been taken in by the fringe right wing outrage mongers. They’re feeding you crap and you are willingly just consuming their garbage. They tell you lies and you believe them. That I will admit that I don’t like.

Farb, I don’t dislike you, I don’t really even know you. I do dislike that you seem to have been taken in by the fringe right wing outrage mongers. They’re feeding you crap and you are willingly just consuming their garbage. They tell you lies and you believe them. That I will admit that I don’t like.
    I feel the exact same way about you. Exactly, well, substitute 'right' for 'left' and it would be exact.

Is there anyone here on the left who knows anything about a push to self-segregate?

I have no idea what he’s on about at all, and I suspect no one else here that’s actually on the left does either.

Is there anyone here on the left who knows anything about a push to self-segregate?

I have no idea what he’s on about at all, and I suspect no one else here that’s actually on the left does either.
    Never even heard the term before Farb said it

I'm guessing he's thinking of when there was talk of California seceding from the Union. That's really the only thing I can think of.

It doesn’t seem to be the direction he is going, Dave. If you go by his example, it’s along racial lines that he is talking about. His example, IMO, was totally benign. I am not sure what the objection was to it. When I asked him what was wrong with it, he didn’t really answer.

BTW, it was a black women‘s club asking if they could all be assigned to the same floor of a dorm. It wasn’t preventing other people from living on that floor and the school had done several “themed” floors before. But from that he seems to think we are all “getting our marching orders” and will be advocating self segregation really soon.

I had never heard the term before he said it. This is what I’m speaking of when I say that I think he’s reading some really crappy websites that are filling him up with alarmist nonsense. Especially on racial subjects it seems to me.

Unless a physical attack occurs looks like there's not much that can be done

Of course unchecked verbal abuse can easily escalate to physical
    =====================================================

WASHINGTON – Jasmine Li's daughter ignored the group of boys. The fifth-grader was standing at the curb outside her Southern California elementary school one day in October, waiting for her parents to pick her up, when they asked her if she had COVID-19.

A few minutes later, she walked to the school's front office to see if one of the staffers could call her parents. She passed by a bigger group of boys, including the ones who taunted her earlier.

They chanted "COVID" as she walked by. Again, she ignored them.

"She said she was almost in tears when she got to the front office," Li said. "You would think that school is the one place where you don't have to worry about this issue … but unfortunately, that's not the case.".............

There have been thousands of similar stories of bias- or hate-motivated conduct fueled by a false rhetoric that blamed the pandemic on the AAPI community. While the news has been dominated by videos of violent and sometimes deadly attacks, less attention has been paid to this vast gray area of verbal harassments that are neither criminal nor civil rights violations.

Because such incidents are largely protected speech, law enforcement can't take action unless there are threats. And because they don't usually fall under the types of discrimination or harassment barred under civil rights laws, there's not much recourse in civil court either, experts say..............

She's in forking fifth grade being harassed by groups of boys specifically because she's Asian. You seem to have no capacity for empathy whatsoever.

Yeah, to not acknowledge this is just ridiculous. This isn't sticks and stones. This is forking up a vulnerable person's day taunting her. I can't see how anyone can miss the abject cruelty of those idiots.

This is the defining characteristic of the modern right wing in America, an inability to empathize with anything that doesn’t look, sound and act like them.
    If anything, this is why people identify with Trump. They have zero ability to empathize with people who face very real and unjust circumstances in life regardless how good their personal responsibility is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom