Immigration is completely out of control (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    A couple of days ago, one of the main US-MX border points of entry was blocked by 1000's of migrants demanding entry into the country, which caused chaos for those who lawfully cross the border on business, for work, or for delivery of goods, both ways.

Lawful border crossings are getting progressively worse across the border, and drug cartels are finding it easier to move product, as the CBP has to transfer personnel and efforts to the processing of migrants.

It's not different on MX's South border. Yesterday, ~5000 migrants stormed into Chiapas all the way to the INM building (INM is immigration) running over fences, barricades, and elements of the National Guard. They are now taking over an ecological park in Tapachula, Chiapas, which it's going to be severely affected, as it's been the case with just about everywhere migrants squat.

Unfortunately, Juan Trump (that's Donald Trump's pet name for the President of México) was bamboozled by his "friend" Donald into making MX a "lobby" for migrants trying to reach the U.S.

Many people would argue that migrants are "good for the economy", but that is not always the case. Billions of dollars leave the U.S. economy every year, because migrants send money from the U.S. to other countries to support families there. The biggest destinations are India and MX, to the tune of 100 billion dollars in 2023 alone, according to the Bank of México (kind of like the MX version of the Fed). These billions of dollars do not circulate in the U.S. economy.

Speaking of inflation, the past year, the U.S. dollar has lost ~20% of its value against the MX peso. One of the main reasons for it, is the amount of money being sent to MX from the U.S. And MX is the U.S. 2nd largest trading partner.

Gregg Abbott is a lot of things, but I don't blame him for his attempts at curbing the hordes of people demanding entry into the U.S., even the busing of migrants to other States, making some put their money where their mouth is, like the Mayor of NYC, who was so welcoming of migrants, until he he got a taste, then went crying to the federal government for more money, while the shelters were at full capacity; shelters which BTW serve the NYC poor as well.

And please, no one mention a wall. There is a wall. A wall can be climbed; a wall can be dug under.; holes can be punched through walls.

I was reading through the Republican immigration proposal HR2 the other day.

It would punish visa overstays with 6 months in jail, and would massively increase enforcement of it.

Imagine if that became law and our jails were full of white Europeans from friendly countries who hadn't committed any crimes other than overstaying their visa.
    This reminds me of when Rs decide they want to allow religious displays on government property and then are outraged when they find out the local Satanic Temple puts up a display. Or when they steer tax money towards religious schools and then are completely amazed that local Muslim schools are getting the stipends also.

The current GOP is just stupid that way.

This has been tried and quietly reversed.

This issue screams of "But the trade deficit with China" of 2016. Immigration is a net positive economically.

And haven't we already discussed that the majority of illegal immigrations are visa overstays since 2017?

This post right here should have been the main premise that Systemshock's entire thread was challenged on to begin with. You need to show the harm that immigration: illegal, or legal has on the American economy, and jobs.

If you don't have any data to backup your opinion. How did you even come about it?

What are we talking about otherwise? You sound like racist if all you care about is brown people coming into the country.

Yeah, the convoy is “helping”.

The main problem [Mod Edit: :nono: Partisan Trigger] have with immigration/border control is that they want a reverse Iron Curtain, but they don't want to pay for it. Or deal with the resulting problems.

Give a MAGA a magic wand that only works on the US side and watch the chaos ensue.

Last edited by a moderator:
    I’ve been hearing Speaker Johnson saying that Biden has the authority to stop the flow of immigrants, so I did a little research and found this article:

It states that Trump tried to stop asylum in 2018 and lost in court. So Biden doesn’t have the legal authority to halt asylum, because asylum laws protect even illegal crossings. I think the only legal option under current law to stem asylum may be the remain in Mexico policy which he has previously adamantly opposed. I know Mexico opposes it, but I think it should be re-imposed.

This article was first published in The NY Times in 2019.

It's why people from Guatemala come north.

Despite what the conservatives say, global climate change is real.

It will cause even more migration.

An opinion piece... ok...

But let's say climate change has targeted 4 out of the 7 countries that made C.A., and that thousands are migrating North because "food doesn't grow there anymore".

First, why go North? Why not go South, to places like Costa Rica? Or Panama? Uruguay? Why only North?

Second: I spend most of the year in Mérida, Yucatán. Here, anything you toss in the ground grows, the land as fertile as it can be. Very safe too; a bad year in the murder rate here Statewide is a slow Saturday in St. Louis. There isn't a single State in the Union that's safer than the State of Yucatán. And it is way closer than Texas, Arizona, or California from the Guatemalan border. The last few years, the Governor has worked very hard to bring businesses from all over, in many different industries, so there are jobs here; and there was the construction of a train track that goes from Cancun to Palenque, Chiapas... But you don't see caravans heading here. Why do you think that is?

That's been my whole point. You very much have made judgemental and categorical statements of migrants based solely on what is a lot of them in numbers, but is a minority in percentages.
    And you know this, how?

1% of more than 2.2 million people per year is more than 22,000 people which is a whole lot of people per year, so showing a whole lot of people doing the things you say they are doing does not prove or indicate that it's typical of the more than 2.2 million people that traveled through Mexico to the US just last year.
    Again, you got the 1% from....?
    You never literally referred to them as "all people,"
    Well, there you go.
    But nothing. I never said all people.

Anytime anyone said that your examples wasn't all of them, you balked and made it clear you thought it was norm and not the exception.

Really? Show me?

What does that have to do with what I posted?

The crazy people went to the border and didn't find a lot of migrants.

I don't know how true that is but I thought it was something that was part of the immigration situation.

I think that it's being blown out of proportion. I think that the republicans need an issue to campaign on and immigration is that issue.

The fact that trump has ordered republicans to reject the immigration bill because trump wants it as a campaign issue falls right into what that article said.

Yes people are coming north. They've been coming north for decades. What's different? The republicans want a campaign issue.

The crazy people went to the border and didn't find a lot of migrants.

I don't know how true that is but I thought it was something that was part of the immigration situation.

I think that it's being blown out of proportion. I think that the republicans need an issue to campaign on and immigration is that issue.

The fact that trump has ordered republicans to reject the immigration bill because trump wants it as a campaign issue falls right into what that article said.

Yes people are coming north. They've been coming north for decades. What's different? The republicans want a campaign issue.

100% being used as a campaign issue, just like economy, and a dozen other things.

But, I'm thinking systemshock (who lives in MX) - and I don't want to speak for him, but I'm guessing it is more what happens while they travel through MX vs the end destination (US).

I know bills can have the opposite name of what it really does so I looked up the bill.

This bill makes driving while intoxicated or impaired a ground for (1) barring a non-U.S. national (alien under federal law) from admission into the United States, or (2) deporting the individual.

The bar to admission shall apply to an individual who has been convicted of the offense or has admitted to having committed the acts which constitute the elements of the offense. As a ground for deportability, the individual must have been convicted of the offense.

It's hard to take people seriously who don't think we should deport illegal immigrants who are drunk drivers.

Many Republicans who claim to want to fix the border are full of shirt and want the illegals in for cheap labor.

Democrats want them here for votes for whenever they get amnesty passed.

There are very few members of Congress who actually want to fix the border/immigration.

The game is to pretend they’re compromising, so that the parts unpopular w/each side’s voters can be blamed on the other.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom