House Select Committee Hearings on Jan. 6 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

6nl0ay.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — America’s top television networks on Thursday turned prime time over to a gripping account of former President Donald Trump’s actions during the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol — with one prominent exception.

The top-rated news network, Fox News Channel, stuck with its own lineup of commentators. Sean Hannity denounced the “show trial” elsewhere on TV just as he was featured in it, with the House’s Jan. 6 committeeexamining his tweets to Trump administration figures.

Hannity aired a soundless snippet of committee members entering the hearing room as part of a lengthy monologue condemning the proceedings.

That was all Fox News Channel viewers saw of the hearing.

“It’s really just a cheap, selectively edited political ad,” Hannity told his viewers……

iirc it took watergate about three years to bring down end of nixon.

this panel has done their job well.

wish i had a dollar for every time someone has said..."i never thot id say this about
    liz cheney but she has done an Excellent job with this committee".

i Agree.

Brief timeline:
    May ‘72 - DNC break-in at Watergate.
    July ‘74 - Articles of impeachment passed
    August ‘74 - Nixon resigns

That was fascinating to watch. It appears that the committee prepared the presentation of evidence in a manner to counter the usual denial statements - extreme left bias, partisan witch hunt, mainstream media, fake news, etc.
    - They used Fox News clips to show what was being broadcast to the nation to sync with activities in the White House.
    - A lot of testimony from Trump's staff, friends and relatives and not the Dems or his foes.
    - I'm shocked that they didn't bleep out the expletives on national broadcasts (I watched on ABC).
    - I'm not a fan of Cheney's father at all and she's more hard core conservative than I like (I'm a fan of the near non-existent moderates), but I applaud her for sticking to her vision of the Republican Party. The real RINOs are the Trump supporters.
    - I chuckled at a comment about Pence becoming animated when calling for re-enforcements. I've never seen Pence "animated."
    - Kinzinger and Luria got a little dramatic with their delivery at times and it wasn't necessary. Luria stumbled a lot. Cheney's delivery was great, unemotional and to the point.
    - Mathew Pottinger, Sarah Mathews and Cassidy Hutchinson are some brave individuals. They held nothing back.
    - The Hawley fist-pump segment didn't add much to the case, IMO. The frenzy of the crowd came from the speeches from the Ellipse.
    - What was very telling was how so many Trump allies denounced his actions and plead for a response from him at the moment. That was their genuine reactions and they were appalled. Then they systematically all started waffling and trying to downplay the severity of the events. They caved and betrayed their true feelings for fear of political backlash.

- The Hawley fist-pump segment didn't add much to the case, IMO. The frenzy of the crowd came from the speeches from the Ellipse.
    I'm pretty certain that they did that specifically to get the effect we've been getting since they showed it in the MSM and social media, much like they've been jabbing at McCarthy in the same fashion. And I love it.

In no small part, the GOP in the Donald Trump era has been marked by a craven failure to take offramps.

Trump’s encouragement of white supremacy, his strong-arming of a foreign ally, his multi-tentacled plot to destroy our political order, and his incitement of a violent, deadly insurrection — none of these have pushed Republicans to finally disavow him as a leader of their party and unfit to lead this country.

When Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) delivered her closing statement at Thursday’s Jan. 6 hearing, she offered Republicans one more offramp. She posed this question:

Every American must consider this: Can a president who is willing to make the choices Donald Trump made during the violence of January 6th ever be trusted with any position of authority in our great nation again?

Now ask yourself this: Why will so few Republican lawmakers forthrightly answer Cheney’s question in the negative?

The failure of most leading Republicans to answer this question has the capacity to be a defining moment in Republican politics, perhaps for years to come.

While every one of these situations has been different, other previous historical moments — McCarthyism, Watergate, the militia movements of the 1990s — created a similar crossroads for party elites…….

Republicans failed to render Trump unable to run again by overwhelmingly voting against his impeachment and conviction after Jan. 6.

So Cheney is asking: Now that we have starkly demonstrated Trump’s depraved dereliction of duty and illustrated the full scope of his likely criminal coup attempt, are you ready to say at this point that he’s unfit as a leader of your party and the country?

So far, the answer is a resounding “no.” Trump remains the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP nomination, and may announce as early as this year………

That was fascinating to watch. It appears that the committee prepared the presentation of evidence in a manner to counter the usual denial statements - extreme left bias, partisan witch hunt, mainstream media, fake news, etc.
    - They used Fox News clips to show what was being broadcast to the nation to sync with activities in the White House.
    - A lot of testimony from Trump's staff, friends and relatives and not the Dems or his foes.
    - I'm shocked that they didn't bleep out the expletives on national broadcasts (I watched on ABC).
    - I'm not a fan of Cheney's father at all and she's more hard core conservative than I like (I'm a fan of the near non-existent moderates), but I applaud her for sticking to her vision of the Republican Party. The real RINOs are the Trump supporters.
    - I chuckled at a comment about Pence becoming animated when calling for re-enforcements. I've never seen Pence "animated."
    - Kinzinger and Luria got a little dramatic with their delivery at times and it wasn't necessary. Luria stumbled a lot. Cheney's delivery was great, unemotional and to the point.
    - Mathew Pottinger, Sarah Mathews and Cassidy Hutchinson are some brave individuals. They held nothing back.
    - What was very telling was how so many Trump allies denounced his actions and plead for a response from him at the moment. That was their genuine reactions and they were appalled. Then they systematically all started waffling and trying to downplay the severity of the events. They caved and betrayed their true feelings for fear of political backlash.
    Pence and “animated” don’t belong in the same sentence
    In no small part, the GOP in the Donald Trump era has been marked by a craven failure to take offramps.

Trump’s encouragement of white supremacy, his strong-arming of a foreign ally, his multi-tentacled plot to destroy our political order, and his incitement of a violent, deadly insurrection — none of these have pushed Republicans to finally disavow him as a leader of their party and unfit to lead this country.

When Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) delivered her closing statement at Thursday’s Jan. 6 hearing, she offered Republicans one more offramp. She posed this question:

Every American must consider this: Can a president who is willing to make the choices Donald Trump made during the violence of January 6th ever be trusted with any position of authority in our great nation again?

Now ask yourself this: Why will so few Republican lawmakers forthrightly answer Cheney’s question in the negative?

The failure of most leading Republicans to answer this question has the capacity to be a defining moment in Republican politics, perhaps for years to come.

While every one of these situations has been different, other previous historical moments — McCarthyism, Watergate, the militia movements of the 1990s — created a similar crossroads for party elites…….

Republicans failed to render Trump unable to run again by overwhelmingly voting against his impeachment and conviction after Jan. 6.

So Cheney is asking: Now that we have starkly demonstrated Trump’s depraved dereliction of duty and illustrated the full scope of his likely criminal coup attempt, are you ready to say at this point that he’s unfit as a leader of your party and the country?

So far, the answer is a resounding “no.” Trump remains the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP nomination, and may announce as early as this year………

Your post elsewhere answers the question. Enough of the Republican base wants a tinpot dictator which in turn is causing the politicians of the Republican Party to embrace that stance. They are having a greed/fear response. They crave power and they are afraid of being challenged from inside the party’s most radicalized people. Of course they also put party over country.

This good news/bad news

The good news is that more people than ever do seem to want to move on from Trump

The bad news is that they want to move on from Trump not because of anything he and those around him said or did leading up Jan 6th or that day

It's because he won't shut up about 2020 being stolen
    =====================================

For Republican voters, the January 6 hearings haven’t so much broken through as seeped in, slowly changing opinions about whether former President Donald Trump should be the GOP nominee in 2024.

I conducted dozens of focus groups of Trump 2020 voters in the 17 months between the storming of the Capitol on January 6 and when the hearings began in June. One measure was consistent: At least half of the respondents in each group wanted Trump to run again in 2024. The prevailing belief was that the 2020 election was stolen—or at least unfair in some way—and Trump should get another shot.

But since June, I’ve observed a shift. I’ve conducted nine focus groups during this period, and found that only 14 percent of Trump 2020 voters wanted him to run in 2024, with a few others on the fence. In four of the groups, zero people wanted Trump to run again. Their reasoning is clear: They’re now uncertain that Trump can win again.

“He’s just too divisive and controversial,” a participant in Washington State said about Trump. “There are good candidates out there waiting to shine.”

A participant in Wyoming said, “I feel like there’s too many people against him right now. He’s never gonna make it … So I feel like somebody else needs to step in that has similar views, but not as big of an ego—who people like, I guess.”

“At first I thought I would” want him to run again, an Arizona participant said. “I think it’s time to move on.”..........

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom