General Election 2024 Biden vs Trump (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    As we head toward the summer and the National Party Conventions, it might be handy to have a thread focused on the upcoming matchup of current President Biden vs Former President Trump.
    As of April 28,2024 , CNN's poll shows Trump leading. Yet polls are not always accurate and they are constantly changing.
    Feel free to use this thread for all things relating to Biden vs Trump.

I’m not sure this is real, but here it is:

Flynn is denying their authenticity. But he lies all the time, so who knows?

Yes! I am hesitant to apply an age limit to elected officials. But for SCOTUS? abso-freaking-lutely
    I'm for term limits not based on age. I will never support discriminating against an adult just based on their age.

I understand the concerns about diminished capacity due to age, but diminished capacity happens to people of all ages and nearly the same statistical rate, especially now. Incapacity due to dementia which is what people are worried about is starting to happen in peoples mid 50's instead of their mid 70's, so should we set the maximum age at 55?

The best way to address a problem is to directly address the problem instead of shotgun blasting. The problem with someone with dementia is not that their, it's that they have a disease that has diminished their capacity. Someone in their 40's can suffer diminished capacity from an autoimmune issue, age limitations wouldn't protect us from them being president.

The best way, and the only fair and just way, to protect against someone with diminished capacity holding a public office is to setup minimal capacity requirements and mandatory testing. That's the practical approach and it's the fair and just approach. The majority of people that live into their 70's or beyond do not suffer from significant diminished capacity. It's only around 30% of them, so age limits would punish 60% of them for what is a valid concern for only 30% of them and we would be losing out on a lot of wisdom that can only be gained from a lifetime of experience.

I'm for term limits not based on age. I will never support discriminating against an adult just based on their age.

I understand the concerns about diminished capacity due to age, but diminished capacity happens to people of all ages and nearly the same statistical rate, especially now. Incapacity due to dementia which is what people are worried about is starting to happen in peoples mid 50's instead of their mid 70's, so should we set the maximum age at 55?

The best way to address a problem is to directly address the problem instead of shotgun blasting. The problem with someone with dementia is not that their, it's that they have a disease that has diminished their capacity. Someone in their 40's can suffer diminished capacity from an autoimmune issue, age limitations wouldn't protect us from them being president.

The best way, and the only fair and just way, to protect against someone with diminished capacity holding a public office is to setup minimal capacity requirements and mandatory testing. That's the practical approach and it's the fair and just approach. The majority of people that live into their 70's or beyond do not suffer from significant diminished capacity. It's only around 30% of them, so age limits would punish 60% of them for what is a valid concern for only 30% of them and we would be losing out on a lot of wisdom that can only be gained from a lifetime of experience.
    Term limits on SC justices would go a long way to depoliticizing the Court.

I think the DNC is a disaster. There is no way party elites on the inside didn't know Joe has severely declined since 2019. There is a video making the rounds showing Joe debating in 2019 vs last Thursday. He is sharp as a knife in 2019 vs 2024. Now, He's old, 80+ and the DNC didn't put failsafe plan in place to address this specific scenario should it came to pass? I'm not a Democrat nor Republican, and this just looks awful campaign strategy. A bulk of the Biden re-election strategy is panting Trump as this Tyrannical Insurrectionist who must be stopped at all costs. Yet, he's obviously declined pretty rapidly and is deciding to cling onto his power and ordering your entire apparatus to gaslight everyone into thinking you're fine enough to get another 4 years. "Trumps tyrannical, drunk with power!" But you're refusing to step aside because you wanna cling onto your power, just not a good look to anyone who isn't living under the left vs right cult umbrella.

The DNC should have told Joe no a year ago and started finding a viable replacement who could connect with the democrat voting base and run them in 24.

While waiting for food to arrive at Cracker Barrel I scrolled on my phone and saw this. I can only screen shot it though....

Screenshot_20240704_123025_Chrome.jpg

It was nice to hear the message still getting out there.

He’s right, there is no cult around Biden. If there was, a majority of his supporters would have either tried to spin his debate performance into something good (he wasn’t taking it seriously to let us know he hates the system too!!), or just ignored it. Instead, pretty much universally, people were disappointed and concerned. The fault lines are generally about the best way to move forward, and whether that should include Biden.

Meanwhile, I read that Biden gave 2 radio interviews to WI stations today. I listened to a few minutes of one of them. Other than his usual halting stutter that has always been there, he sounded fine. Was able to recite what he considered his admin’s main accomplishments. Everything was coherent, no freezing.

Also no reporting from media on it.

Edit: I just remembered - the videos were recorded yesterday and aired today, so not live.

Yale history professor Timothy Snyder shared a warning on X (formerly Twitter) about what will happen if presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump wins back the White House in the 2024 election.

“Unless Trump loses, America ends,” he wrote in his first of a five-post thread.

Snyder, an expert on authoritarianism and the author of “On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century,” said the U.S. Supreme Court has “made this clear” with its ruling on Monday that Trump has total immunity for “official” acts carried out when he was president.

“As has Trump himself. Over and over,” he added.

“Our enemies know this. Which is why they all, without exception, support Trump,” Snyder cautioned in further posts. “We have no excuse not to know this. And once we know it we can act. Each of us doing what we can, trusting one another, making contact.”

“We can do this. If we each do what we can, this republic will go on, and this republic will get better,” the historian concluded the thread.

In 2021, Snyder warned how Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election result had been based on “personal charisma and signals to his followers and a few people in the Justice Department and hope.”

Trump was back then still toying with the idea of another presidential bid.

Snyder, though, predicted that a 2024 Trump attempt to flip a loss would be much, much different due to the “institutional machinery” now backing him.

“What we know historically is that a failed coup is a trial run for a successful coup,” Snyder said at the time. “Usually when you fail in a coup, something happens to you— and Mr. Trump, nothing has happened to him.”................

Edit: I just remembered - the videos were recorded yesterday and aired today, so not live.
    If he's not backing out and he wants to win in November, Biden needs to get out and talk to everyone that will listen - LIVE. Prove you are capable and competent. Don't hide behind tape delays and edits. Show yourself often. It's the only way.....and I'm not sure that will be enough. Republicans will hammer the brain freeze relentlessly in commercials once the election nears.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom