General Election 2024 Biden vs Trump (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    As we head toward the summer and the National Party Conventions, it might be handy to have a thread focused on the upcoming matchup of current President Biden vs Former President Trump.
    As of April 28,2024 , CNN's poll shows Trump leading. Yet polls are not always accurate and they are constantly changing.
    Feel free to use this thread for all things relating to Biden vs Trump.

This is a great sentiment from someone on Twitter. It’s too long to post each tweet so I am copying and pasting it.

“Something I learned long ago as a fiction writer: A happy ending happens only because that's where the author stopped telling the story.

Life always goes on, and even after momentous achievements, there will come more challenges.

Why am I telling you this now?

I've had some dorks ask me versions of, "Why should we reelect Biden to save democracy? What's he gonna do to fix the problem?"

They're looking for a permanent happy ending. They want Dumbledor (or Harry Potter) to save us all, once and for all.

That's not how it works.

Biden isn't going to permanently "fix the problem." No one is, because it can't be "fixed".

YOU save democracy, by electing the non-fascist candidate. And YOU have to do that every goddam election. (Yes, you lazy bastage, you have to vote every goddam time.)

Continued next post

“See, YOU are the hero of this story--or the villain. Saving democracy is YOUR job, and you do it by not EVER letting a fascist get into power. YOU do that.

And each time you win, each monumental achievement, means there will be more challenges afterwards.

Because there are no permanent happy endings.

But there are inflection points in the story, where things can get better. Or they can get far, FAR worse.

And it is up to YOU. At least partly. Yes, as in any good story, there are forces even the hero can't control.

But your vote ALWAYS counts. Your voice matters, so speak truth, and don't descend into cynicism. You can sway others (if you don't believe what you say makes a difference, then delete your account and stop posting).

You have to reelect Joe Biden--NOT because he's going to change the world (though he will change it in all sorts of awesome ways), but because he is a way for YOU to change the world for the better.

I won't regale you with all the dreadful ways the world can get worse (remember that now Trump is immune to criminal prosecution--and also go read up on Project 2025).

If you think you're so goddam important that someone has to "earn" your vote, then realize you are the protagonist of your story, and what YOU decide matters. Take that responsibility seriously. Don't wait for someone to convince you to do the rational thing. Do it yourself.”

Yeah I think a lot of the very concerned about Biden posters here are missing the big picture. We've been told ad nauseam by pundits and pollsters that over 70% of voters don't want Biden or Trump.

What happens when people don't won't either of the people on the ballot, they vote on what each candidate represents, the principles behind each candidate.

The overwhelming majority of women are going to vote against Dobbs and vote for Roe, which means putting a check mark by Biden or whoever is the Democrat on the ballot. It doesn't matter how unexcited they are about the actual Democratic candidate they check off, because they will be voting for who stands behind Roe and against who caused Dobbs.

Add to that that a very substantial percentage of male voters are going to vote the same way, because we actually give a damn about the welfare of women, even the ones we don't even know.

Corporations aren't going to be able to control themselves. They will immediately take advantage of the overturning of Chevron and do very destructive things before Sept 20th (got to maximize those July through Sept 3rd quarter earnings) that's going to harm and screw over a lot of voters. Guess how they will be voting? And a lot more of them will be motivated to vote than before.

Everyone keeps saying perception is reality, well the perception amongst the majority of voters is that Trump was just given the ultimate get out of jail card. The overwhelming majority of Americans don't trust Trump and no he's always up to no good. A lot of the voters weren't that concerned or fearful of Trump doing terrible things, because the law and courts would keep him check.

Linus's security blanket just got ripped away from him, was shredded, incinerated, and sub-atomically disintegrated. It exists no more and that's going to give Biden, or whoever the Democrat is, a substantial bump in votes, a bump that may never show up in the polls.

The challenge for Biden, or whoever the Democrat ends up being, was not that people would vote for Trump instead of them. The challenge was that they just might not vote at all. A whole lot of people who were leaning toward not being bothered to vote are going to vote now and it ain't going to be for Trump.

There's a plausible possibility that Trump would lose votes, because of the immunity ruling. How many times have we heard, I hate Trump but I'm voting for him because I like his conservative policies and the government will keep him in check. A lot of those cats are getting in line with Linus to vote.

====================================================

Dear Republicans and Trump,

As a concerned citizen who cares very deeply about all people and our Constitutional values, I sincerely and wholeheartedly ask you to all to please keep saying and doing all of the brazenly corrupt and threatening things that you do and say. I ask the same thing of all of you Trump supporters on this site.

What you're doing and saying is the greatest public service you can perform for the public good. This is not reverse psychology or some rhetorical game to try to get you to stop. I'm 100% sincere in wanting you all to keep it up. In fact, would you please do me the favor of kicking it up a notch and turning it up to 11. The more you show the American voters everything you're truly about and will sincerely do if Trump wins the election, the more the overwhelming majority of American voters will benefit.

Go with your deep rooted impulse to intimated and bully. Let it consume you and spew from you unhindered and target as many people as you can with it. Show us your true faces and shout out your true names. Trust yourselves that this is your moment and you can not be denied, so you no longer need to hide your true self. Very loudly and very publicly be everything you believe you are inevitably destined to be. This is your moment, so grab it by the balls.

I'd very much like for you all to do that.

Sincerely, gratefully and hopefully,
    Me

Last edited:
    So…

Some thoughts on the upcoming quadrennial fustercluck we call presidential elections.

Despite some claims Trump was an unmitigated failure. His tariffs on China cost the government billions to go to farmers damaged by not being able to sell to China. His stupidity and arrogance emboldened China, NK and Russia while alienating our allies and causing consternation among emerging nations. His response to SARS CoVid-2 was astoundingly incompetent if not downright criminal. His grifting with the Secret Service paying ridiculous rates to stay in his less than stellar accommodations was, imo, criminal.

And he is completely detached from reality.

Of course, none of that matters to his base.

On the Democratic side we have Biden. His accomplishments during his term have exceeded expectations. There are a pile of Republican legislators taking credit for bills that sent money to their districts due to Biden policies put into law which they voted against. Of course, none of that matters to their base.

The actual issue revolves around Bidren’s age and mental condition (it should revolve around Trump’s age and mental condition as well but the Right doesn’t give a damn about that).

The debate, some claim, exposed Biden as a doddering old man. That within a day or two his actions showed something different appears to be irrelevant. This has caused some, if not, many, on the Left to call for him to drop out of the race. Some names have been floated as to replace him.

The problem is this…polls, which have been shown in the last several elections to be damn near meaningless, are showing Biden behind Trump or in a statistical tie with him. We will leave what this says about the electorate for some other time. I get the calls for Biden to pull out. That being said, there is nobody, NOBODY, that can step in at this point in time to take his place and make a good enough showing to beat Trump. Not because they would not be a far better choice but because the machinery is in place on the Right to hammer whoever it might be. In addition, in point of opinion, independents and those in the mushy middle will likely not support whoever it is. They may not vote for Trump but they likely won’t vote for Biden’s replacement.

Does this mean that Biden should automatically stay in? That is up to him, his family and the party. Those Democratic politicians calling for him to get out publicly are not serving the country or their party, imo. They are not looking down the road.

Is there an answer? Sure. Do we know what it is? Nope.

The only answer doesn’t answer the question of whether Biden should stay in or not.

The only answer is that Trump must be politically destroyed come November.

Take it for what it's worth...

I appreciate the report that he's taking the concerns seriously and is looking at this with an open-mind.

Nothing is reassuring to me, right now.

Biden and McConnel are poster boys on why we need strict age limits on politicians. Heck, Trump is way too old to be running again as well.

I understand not doing it for Congress. The presidency though already has a minimum age limit so an upper age cap is fair game.

Biden and McConnel are poster boys on why we need strict age limits on politicians. Heck, Trump is way too old to be running again as well.
    I like this idea. A quick google search shows 32 states have a mandantory retirement age of 70 for judges. I'd like to see
    that applied to SCOTUS.

I like this idea. A quick google search shows 32 states have a mandantory retirement age of 70 for judges. I'd like to see
    that applied to SCOTUS.
    Yes! I am hesitant to apply an age limit to elected officials. But for SCOTUS? abso-freaking-lutely

Status
    Not open for further replies.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom