General Election 2024 Biden vs Trump (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
As we head toward the summer and the National Party Conventions, it might be handy to have a thread focused on the upcoming matchup of current President Biden vs Former President Trump.
As of April 28,2024 , CNN's poll shows Trump leading. Yet polls are not always accurate and they are constantly changing.
Feel free to use this thread for all things relating to Biden vs Trump.

The hypothetical people I believe should change their votes are those who plan to vote for Trump. I...Steve plan to only vote for my state's Senate and House of Reps..so I have no adjustment needed....(and btw I am out enjoying the day. I have a moment to be on this thread while my wife is in a store we just arrived at)
A vote for Biden is 50% more effective at preventing a Trump presidency than abstention.

For the future of the country, you need to do all you can to prevent a Trump presidency.

It’s early, and we have thought the tide was turning before, but I really think it might be turning this time. Before, Trump hadn’t killed people with his pandemic incompetence and he hadn’t inspired violent insurrection trying to overturn an election he lost. I give you Colin Cowherd, who seemed to support Trump a while ago:

youtube vide here, I don't usually agree with his sports takes,but he nails Trump here.

Interesting. Again, your right to do so. That being said if you are supporting politicians that support Trump then…your protest lack of vote doesn’t really serve its purpose, does it.
I am back home now...and let's be clear.
I am not "protesting"....I am just not wanting to vote for Trump or Biden.
I don't have a "purpose" to serve ...yet I simply don't have a "candidate" to vote for that I feel good about.

A vote for Biden is 50% more effective at preventing a Trump presidency than abstention.

For the future of the country, you need to do all you can to prevent a Trump presidency.
I don't "need to do" anything.
The GOP needed to pick someone else....but they are idiots.
Biden needed to step aside, but he failed to do so.
I am free to do whatever....and in the end the Lord is still on the throne and saving the country is not up to me.

I don't "need to do" anything.
The GOP needed to pick someone else....but they are idiots.
Biden needed to step aside, but he failed to do so.
I am free to do whatever....and in the end the Lord is still on the throne and saving the country is not up to me.
You are free to do whatever you want with your vote and you don't have to vote in any specific way.

If you don't vote for a president, you are not doing everything you can to keep Trump from winning the election.

More precisely, if you don't vote for Biden, then you are not doing everything you can to keep Trump from winning.

You keep saying that Trump is the worst candidate and would severely damage our democracy, so it seems like you would want to do everything you can to make sure Trump doesn't win.

But, like you said, you don't have to do anything or vote in any specific way.

A friend of mine posted this on his FB page. Jim Jordan is another maga who doesn't get it.

…….Two big questions could define the debate between Trump and Biden from here forward. The first is which candidate poses the bigger threat to the future of the country.

The second is which candidate will make the lives of Americans better than they are today. Though related, the first focuses on character and temperament, the second on substance and policy.

For supporters of the incumbent president, the answers to both are simple and straightforward.

It is the former president who is the clear danger, someone who vows retribution against his adversaries; would allow a restriction of freedoms, including access to abortion; favors an expansion of executive power that could lead to authoritarian rule and undermine democratic institutions; and, internationally, to disrupt or shatter traditional alliances.

And it is Biden who they see as both determined to protect democratic institutions while pursuing policies that would support American families, combat climate change and advocate a leadership role for the United States in the world.

William Galston of the Brookings Institution pointed to one domestic priority Trump has talked about as an example of the threat he would pose if elected to another term.

“If Trump is serious about his plan to round up and deport 10 to 15 million illegal immigrants, that would require a profound transformation of not only law enforcement but the U.S. military and many, many aspects of American society,” he said.

“It would represent a profound disruption to every town and city. Ripping 10 to 15 million people out of the body politic is momentous.”

But for every Biden supporter who believes these answers are obvious, polls suggest there are as many or more supporters of Trump who believe the opposite.

The New York trial has heightened distrust of the judicial system by, in their view, unfairly targeting their champion to weaken his political standing.

They blame Biden for bringing the pain of inflation to many families, increasing illegal immigration, degrading society itself and, globally, overseeing a decline in American power and prestige.

They believe they were better off during Trump’s presidency than they are now — and that another four years with Biden as president is the greatest threat.

The risks that voters will weigh before November are not equivalent. Trump, by his past actions — including trying to overturn the 2020 election — and present-day statements about his intentions if elected, poses threats to core elements of democracy.

What voters are weighing about Biden is whether he has the capacity for another four years in office and the strength of leadership and the policies needed at a time of turbulence at home and abroad…….

You are free to do whatever you want with your vote and you don't have to vote in any specific way.

If you don't vote for a president, you are not doing everything you can to keep Trump from winning the election.

More precisely, if you don't vote for Biden, then you are not doing everything you can to keep Trump from winning.

You keep saying that Trump is the worst candidate and would severely damage our democracy, so it seems like you would want to do everything you can to make sure Trump doesn't win.

But, like you said, you don't have to do anything or vote in any specific way.
Please quote me where I said "Trump will severely damage our democracy".
That's what many on the left say. That's what many here on these threads say.
I have never said that.
I said that I am against Trump because of Jan 6th ...against Trump because of his unlikeable personality and because of his lack of morality with women....all these things make me not want to vote for him. I also don't like when he holds the Bible and waves it around as if he reads it and follows the doctrines written inside.
That's what I've said....because that is the truth as to how I feel.
I'm NOT worried about "democracy"...so I don't have any desire to "do everything I can do".
If I say to my wife: "Hon, let's see if one of the ten movies showing in our local movie theater is something we like"....and then we look together and we like something....we see it.
If all 10 movies do not interest us, we don't pick one ...we don't pick one "for the good of Hollywood"..we don't care to "save Hollywood". We just stay home.
If on election day the only thing to vote for was Trump vs Biden I would just stay home.
Yet since there are other down ballot races, I will go cast my vote for those races.
To summarize...
There is no candidate for President that I like....and I'm not worried about saving the country or saving democracy.
That's it.
The end (of my responses on this topic)

Last edited:
If I say to my wife: "Hon, let's see if one of the ten movies showing in our local movie theater is something we like"....and then we look together and we like something....we see it.
If all 10 movies do not interest us, we don't pick one ...we don't pick one "for the good of Hollywood"..we don't care to "save Hollywood".
There is no candidate I like....and I'm not worried about saving the country or saving democracy.
That's it.

This is all extremely more important than picking a movie. Not caring about Hollywood isn’t comparable to not caring about the country you live in.

Are you not worried about saving democracy because you don’t actually think it’s under threat? Or you don’t care about democracy?

This is all extremely more important than picking a movie. Not caring about Hollywood isn’t comparable to not caring about the country you live in.

Are you not worried about saving democracy because you don’t actually think it’s under threat? Or you don’t care about democracy?
I have faith that democracy will survive even if Donald Trump is President.
We have three branches of government and a ton of citizens who want democracy to survive. So it will. It will survive.
The movie analogy was just that...an analogy to provide a glimpse into Steve's thinking.
Bye.

I am back home now...and let's be clear.
I am not "protesting"....I am just not wanting to vote for Trump or Biden.
I don't have a "purpose" to serve ...yet I simply don't have a "candidate" to vote for that I feel good about.
Of course you are protesting. “The GOP needed to pick someone else…but they are idiots.” The problem lies in two things. In order to actually help Trump be defeated you need to vote for Biden. And voting for Biden implies support for one thing in particular. Thus you have a conundrum. You understand that Trump is dangerous yet through him your issue has, well, appears to have started to be resolved even though that isn’t really the case. So, you choose to sit out by looking at the scales and deciding your issue surpercedes the overall health of the country because the down ticket races also support your issue but they also support Trump.

I have faith that democracy will survive even if Donald Trump is President.
We have three branches of government and a ton of citizens who want democracy to survive. So it will. It will survive.
The movie analogy was just that...an analogy to provide a glimpse into Steve's thinking.
Bye.

Three branches don’t save us if they are occupied by people who share malicious intents. That’s the point a lot of people are missing. This isn’t just Trump anymore. It’s the majority of a political party that is quickly, and openly, embracing authoritarianism.

You’ve expressed a respect for Haley. Look how quickly she fell back in line with Trump. And quite frankly, her politics already aren’t that far removed from his, and in keeping with the Christofascist direction of the GOP. The only real difference anymore is the window dressing. Trump is crass while others are more polished.

The guardrails of our democracy are only as strong as the people enforcing them. Anybody who still believes we will somehow be fine - especially when they aren’t willing to support Democrats, who are the only remaining firewall of protection - is dangerously naive. The Republican Party you might think you support doesn’t really exist anymore. It’s quickly dying out as the remaining decent stewards flee or are forced out.

Last edited:
At a Black outreach event packed with Democratic heavyweights on Wednesday, it was Kamala Harris who proved the unexpected star of the show.

The vice president has been pilloried in the past for her awkward and stilted delivery at events. But at Girard College in Philadelphia as the warm-up act for Biden, she seemed far more at ease, cracking jokes and responding to applause.

She also received some of the biggest reactions during a slick performance where she rattled off a list of the Biden administration’s accomplishments that specifically benefit the Black community - from a $35 cap on the cost of insulin and student debt forgiveness to record investments in historically-Black colleges.

She underlined how the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v Wadedisproportionately affected Black women. “And today, one in three women and more than half of Black women of reproductive age live in a state with an abortion ban - a Trump abortion ban,” she noted.

She also delivered a few pugnacious lines that landed well with the majority Black crowd. When she decried Trump’s Supreme Court picks, she described it as “the court of Thurgood,” referencing the first Black justice, Thurgood Marshall, which elicited a strong, positive response.……..

Please quote me where I said "Trump will severely damage our democracy".
You've said he's corrupt, self-serving, dishonest and violates the Constitution. All of those things severely damaged our democracy with him as president and he will do even greater damage if elected again.

I mistakenly thought you were aware of that.

I said that I am against Trump because of Jan 6th...
Which has been the second greatest threat to our democracy only beat out by the Civial War.

I was mistaken again in thinking that you were aware that Jan 6th was a grave risk to our democracy and we survived it through luck, not institutional protections.

Yet since there are other down ballot races, I will go cast my vote for those races.
If you vote down ballot for any Republican who supports, enables, and/or makes excuses for Trump, you are voting in support of Trump and for someone who is a threat to our democracy.

Not judging, just stating an objective fact. Republicans who support, enable or make excuses for Trump have chosen authoritarianism over democracy.

You always say stuff like this, but you never ever stick to it, so I don't understand why you keep saying stuff like this.

You're going to respond to what I just said. It's understandable that you're going to respond, so why keep saying you're not going to respond? What's the point of saying that over and over?

Last edited:
Article on AI and the election
====================
……….This would all be less concerning if the first big AI crisis were some hypothetical far in the future. But there’s one circled on the calendar: Nov. 5, 2024. Election Day.

For more than a year, FBI Director Christopher A. Wray has warned about a wave of election interference that could make 2016 look cute.

No respectable foreign adversary needs an army of human trolls in 2024. AI can belch out literally billions of pieces of realistic-looking and sounding misinformation about when, where and how to vote. It can just as easily customize political propaganda for any individual target.

In 2016, Brad Parscale, Donald Trump’s digital campaign director, spent endless hours customizing tiny thumbnail campaign ads for groups of 20 to 50 people on Facebook. It was miserable work but an incredibly effective way to make people feel seen by a campaign.

In 2024, Brad Parscale is software, available to any chaos agent for pennies. There are more legal restrictions on ads, but AI can create fake social profiles and aim squarely for your individual feed.

Deepfakes of candidates have been here for months, and the AI companies keep releasing tools that make all of this material faster and more convincing.

Almost 80 percent of Americans think some form of AI abuse is likely to affect the outcome of November’s presidential election. Wray has staffed each of the FBI’s 56 field offices with at least two election-crime coordinators. He has urged people to be more discerning with their media sources.

In public, he’s the face of chill. “Americans can and should have confidence in our election system,” he said at the International Conference on Cyber Security in January.

Privately, an elected official familiar with Wray’s thinking told me the director is in a middle manager’s paradox: loads of responsibility, limited authority. “[Wray] keeps highlighting the issue, but he won’t play politics, and he doesn’t make policy,” that official said. “The FBI enforces laws. The director is like, ‘Please ask Congress where the laws are.’”……..

I mean, they have been. It was Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg who initially dismissed the impact of Russian misinformation on the 2016 election as “pretty crazy.”

But a year later, Zuckerberg recognized he was wrong, kicking off what security people at Meta and other platforms, as well as officials in law enforcement, describe as something like Glasnost.

Each side acknowledged the stakes of failure and found a way to work together — often using their own AI software to detect anomalies in posting patterns.

They would then share findings and zap malicious content before it could spread. The 2020 and 2022 elections were more than proof of concept. They were a success.

But all of that collaboration preceded the boom in AI — and all of it ended last July. Murthy v. Missouri, a case brought by the Republican attorneys general of Louisiana and Missouri, claimed that federal communication with social media platforms to remove misinformation was a “censorship enterprise” that violates the First Amendment.

Was the suit an act of political vengeance motivated by the misperception that social media leans left? You bet. But you don’t have to be a partisan to imagine how a back-and-forth between a social media platform and, say, a president with narcissistic personality disorder could turn coercive.

U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty sided with the plaintiffs and issued a temporary injunction that was affirmedby the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit.

In March, Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, revealed the consequences of that decision: eight months of total silence between the feds and social media companies regarding misinformation. “That ought to scare the hell out of all of us,” said Warner.

The Supreme Court is scheduled to rule on Murthy v. Missouri next month, and there are at least preliminary indications the justices are skepticalof the lower court’s ruling……..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom