First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

I read that a pedestrian approached George Stephanopoulos and asked him, "Do you think Biden should step down? You've talked to him more than anybody else has lately." George's response: "I DON'T THINK HE CAN SERVE 4 MORE YEARS."
    (this was apparently caught on tape)

I read that a pedestrian approached George Stephanopoulos and asked him, "Do you think Biden should step down? You've talked to him more than anybody else has lately." George's response: "I DON'T THINK HE CAN SERVE 4 MORE YEARS."
    I don't care.

That’s interesting and not surprising. If that’s true that it was recorded, that will be another devastating hit to Biden. The mountain keeps getting steeper.

That’s interesting and not surprising. If that’s true that it was recorded, that will be another devastating hit to Biden. The mountain keeps getting steeper.
    A journalist’s opinion given when he didn’t know he was being recorded is a devastating hit? Not to me. I am well aware that Biden may not finish his term. Anybody with a brain is aware of that fact given his age. That’s why we have a VP and a Cabinet who can make the transition smooth.

I'm sorry I was able to intuit something you apparently weren't able to. Like I said, I actually paid attention to what was going on leading up to J6.

Trump is like a mob boss huh? People just know what kind of crimes Trump wants them to comitt without Trump saying anything about it right?

What a convient narrative when you don't have any facts that back up your argument.

Well, let's see. Trump claimed there was fraud, the election was stolen, he really won, etc. Let me ask you something: If you believed - I mean REALLY believed - the other side STOLE an election.... why wouldn't that be a legitimate reason to rise up against an "illegitimate" government?

So he has his cult members - sorry, I mean "supporters" - whipped up into a frenzy. While he proceeds to lose one court challenge after another. He tries to put pressure on politicians in Michigan, Georgia, etc. to change the outcome of their votes. He tries the alternate elector scheme. And as J6 approaches, he and his camp start arguing that VP Pence and Congress can refuse to certify the election. And he summons his most rabid cult followers - sorry, "supporters" - to DC for a rally on the same day, coincidentally, as the day the Congress is supposed to certify the election. And tells his crowd that they need to "fight like hell or they won't have a country left" and to walk to the Capitol to "encourage" their elected reps.

You're a rational person. What would you expect to happen?
    It's funny how the left has to refer to Trump supporters as a cult because many of you live in such a bubble that you can't even comprehend why people would support someone like Trump.

It's not just people on the left who refer to MAGA as a cult. If you blindly believe anything a leader tells you and will do anything he says in defiance of whatever reason you might otherwise possess, that pretty much makes you a cult follower. It's far beyond simply being "in a bubble."

We want someone who is going to buck the system in any way possible. The system needs to be cut back to where it serves the interests of the American people and not the elite, the military industrial complex, the weapons manufacturers, the powerful companies, like how it is currently.

Oh, I thought you were for small government and reducing the deficit and all that. You really just want to burn everything down. Trump could very well do burn "the system" down if he gets into office again, but I seriously doubt he will do anything close to what you say above. He doesn't care about us beyond whether our interests serve his.

I would think one could make the argument that the Democrats are largely more of a cult for continuing to support a corpse for President.

Yes, the Democrats are a cult - that's why there's been this internal debate the past couple of weeks about whether our cult leader should step down. We're exactly like your tribe, obviously.

I'm very clear eyed about this. I'd like our candidate to be someone other than Biden. He has liabilities that are clear, and I'm open about that. I still prefer him or Harris as President over Trump, and have no ambivalence about that choice whatsoever.

From my previous post:

Are you saying the only reason why Trump didn't get charged with participating in a coup was because the Biden administration didn't direct his DOJ to prosecute him?

For as many times as Democrats repeat over and over that Trump participated in a coup, I've yet to see one credible reason why Trump wasnt charged for it.

What is Jack Smith's prosecution about then?

Regardless of whatever the DOJ decided to do, we all know what Trump tried to do. There is plenty of evidence, despite you insisting there isn't. The only difference between you and me is that you've decided to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

I like this guy’s POV. Biden apparently did a great speech today at the NATO conference. I didn’t see a lick of coverage on it, just some tweets from people who watched. It was supposedly like his SOTU speech, though. This is from Twitter, copy-paste so all can see it.

“I will just say this: I am all for folks having a debate about their preferred candidate. But the reality is that Biden has been very clear that he is in it to win it.

He held over 20 events before Trump held 1 in the past week. He interfaced with voters. He gave a powerful NATO speech today. He is determined, and while lots of voters wish there was a younger candidate, if you put Biden up against any other name being thrown out, he comes out on top. It’s not as if there is a consensus alternative, and you certainly cannot skip over and disregard VP.

The polls have not fundamentally changed since the debate. If you truly care about democracy, or view Trump as a threat, you of course can have your opinion about who is the best person to take him on. But based on the data referenced above, and the fact that Biden has made clear he is not going anywhere (to the delight of key factions of the Dem Party), it is your job, if you are in any way part of the pro-democracy coalition, to do everything in your power to make sure he wins.

You don’t wave the white flag and say you are going to lose 4 months before an election when not a single vote has been cast. Especially when you actually have a historically incredible record to run on. Seeing electeds do this is the epitome of irresponsibility.

Record job growth. Best GDP growth in the G7. Record low unemployment. Energy independence. Beating OPEC. A stronger than ever NATO alliance. Historic investments in manufacturing. Historic climate efforts. Outpacing China for the first time in decades. Leading the world in semiconductors and chips.

Be loud about your accomplishments. Be loud about the Trump threat. Call out all the reasons he is unfit. Call out his danger to the American experiment. Sound the alarm about Project 2025. Be loud about his connections to Epstein. Remind Americans of the fact that he is responsible for millions of deaths with the way he botched the COVID response. Remind people of the daily chaos under his presidency.

If you can’t do that, and you’d rather give up, then maybe it’s you who should retire and get out of the way.”

A journalist’s opinion given when he didn’t know he was being recorded is a devastating hit? Not to me. I am well aware that Biden may not finish his term. Anybody with a brain is aware of that fact given his age. That’s why we have a VP and a Cabinet who can make the transition smooth.
    Well a lot of people deny that he seems too frail to finish a 2nd term, so there are a lot of brainless supporters. Steph is not just another journalist. He was selected as the trusted journalist to interview Biden to demonstrate that he can do the job. If he was secretly caught saying he is not, that will carry a lot of weight. It is definitely another big blow. Maybe not to you, but you aren’t the concern. It is the fence sitters.

demonstrate that he can do the job
    Saying he doesn’t think he can finish his next term is most definitely not the same as saying he cannot do the job. He is currently doing the job, and doing it quite well. Did you see any reporting on his address to the NATO conference today?

I’m not worried about Biden on a teleprompter. It’s when he’s off that the cringe moments happen.

That phase is over Lapaz.

The beginith the follow up phase. That's when things go back to a normal dull roar.

An example today Biden addressed the world leaders in NATO, for once something like that was televised live by the same media who will usually ignore speeches like that.

It's not live now but it was:

I’m not worried about Biden on a teleprompter. It’s when he’s off that the cringe moments happen.
    Your dilly old Senator Bennet has joined the ranks of those who have a political reason to call for Biden to step down. I think that is hot of the pan new news, minutes ago.

What does it mean, it means nothing. I think that's 8 now in the whole combined House and Senate who have gone that far.

"There are a total of 535 Members of Congress. 100 serve in the U.S. Senate and 435 serve in the U.S. House of Representatives."--Google

Let's do the poll math in this, this afterall a real poll >>> 8 divided by 535 = 0,015, move the decimal point over by two 1.5%

1.5% of lawmakers who want him to step down compared to the 98.5% who appear to not want him to step down. That's not polling very well especially not after all this publicity and hype. Not after what has it been? 10 days perhaps

I can call that. It's over.

“We stand with President Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris,” the caucus leaders said in a statement. “For the last year and a half, the Biden-Harris Administration partnered with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus’ initiative to take CHC on the Road. Through that initiative we have worked to empower Latino communities across the country.”
    The Black and the Hispanic caucuses are both standing resolutely with the white as white can be Biden, I wish there was a "white supremacist panic time" dancing banana gif.

I agree with all of that but your point about the GOP is why I think about this the way I do. Democrats need to be more effective in countering that propaganda. Not something I think is a strength of the left. We shouldn’t be losing the messaging battle on something like healthcare, for instance, but yet far too many people will still vote against their own best interests on those kinds of quality of life matters.
    People who have been swayed by emotional appeal, have to be swayed back with and equal and opposite emotional appeal. Logic and reasoning will only work if it's combined with an equal and opposite emotional appeal.

But even then not as cringy as Trump ON the teleprompter. Seriously, he’s been off the cuff several times since the debate. Including immediately post debate in some restaurant, IIRC. He’s been fine, and by that I mean the same as previous to the debate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom