First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

What the hell is that. I'm not accustomed to dealing with you in the same manner that I deal with MAGA.

Do you really want to go there?

You pulled this stunt of showing us MAGA here last night, and now you return with more MAGA today. Come on dude you're older than that

No moderators ? No sane person would accept that. Trump would intercept Biden repeatedly with lies after lies after lie - never letting Biden speak.
    Well this way he can say that Joe wouldn't debate him.

Biden should respond with a debate setup he would do anytime.

If I were Biden I would ignore him because as Biden I would now possess the Criminal's fire. Not a damned thing he could do about except in another debate.

What I would do If I were Biden is to consider myself as comfy in the catbird seat insofar as another debate, or food fight with a chimp based on the last one.

No one can deal with someone who lies like that criminal during what would otherwise be a a debate. That's why liars are not allowed in a real debate. They are sent packing by the moderator.

If yo don't have a moderator you don't have a debate,

No moderators ? No sane person would accept that. Trump would intercept Biden repeatedly with lies after lies after lie - never letting Biden speak.

Exactly. Biden PR team should call them out on this nonsense.

Do you think he will, though?

Playing devils advocate for a minute, if you’re the Trump team you’re salivating over Biden potentially avoiding any future debates. They’ll probably beat that drum incessantly until / if Biden decides to accept…which, let’s be honest - may not be the best idea at this point.

What exactly is the problem with this statement?

“If he decides to continue to run I will support that decision and continue to support and vote for Joe Biden.”

“If he decides to step down and end his campaign I will support that decision and I will support and vote for whoever the democratic nominee ends up being”

Sounds like a pragmatic ‘adult in the room’ response to me

Dang I put my fart lady sings post in the wrong thread. This is the thead I intend to sing out of existence , not the one that got the dire warning before I turn myself into the fart lady and sing post.

I expect you better go find that lost post of mine, watch that warning video, and then flee, Sorry for the confusion, I've never tried to be a singing fart lady before. The singing part worries me, I'm not very good at singing.

Do you think he will, though?

Playing devils advocate for a minute, if you’re the Trump team you’re salivating over Biden potentially avoiding any future debates. They’ll probably beat that drum incessantly until / if Biden decides to accept…which, let’s be honest - may not be the best idea at this point.
    I would cancel the already scheduled debate, and not even respond to this latest request

So I think folks in the media are absolutely flogging this controversy trying to get a couple more days out of it for clicks. Pelosi’s statement is not controversial in my eyes. And look at the way this statement is framed. Reporting becoming a source of revenue is killing journalism, IMO. Networks used to do news as a public service. Now they put profits over the public.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom