First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Why?

Because it’s important we notice patterns about certain behaviors or beliefs so we can go back and analyze them. If one cares truly about making the party better, it’s probably important that we understand and hopefully agree on what our actual problems are.
    And if people don't come to a consensus on that, then what?

That makes it easier to actually have the conversation over what we should do to improve it, thus getting us closer to improving it.
    The improvement always has to start with the person in the mirror.

Can we get out of the way what particular group of voters will be the scapegoat if Biden loses in November? Just so we’re all on the same page here.

I have a not so subtle prediction, but I’m interested to hear the takes.
    I would think it would be the billy goats who eat labels off of tin cans who will be dubbed the scapegoats after that fell event.

Define scapegoat.

Someone who is made to bear the blame for others’ actions/failures. Has a biblical origin if I am not mistaken, involving sending a goat that bore the “sins” of the people out into the wilderness.

Someone who is made to bear the blame for others’ actions/failures. Has a biblical origin if I am not mistaken, involving sending a goat that bore the “sins” of the people out into the wilderness.
    Thanks for pointing out the definition. I just wanted to be certain that you were using it the way I thought you were. Now I know that you are.

If Biden loses, everyone who did not vote for Biden contributed to Biden losing. That's an irrefutable fact.

I'll leave the responsibility deflection games to you. I have no interest in playing that game or the blame game.

If you want to be a person who's serious about focusing on finding solutions to problems, the first thing you need to do is completely erase the concept of blame from your mind. You're more focused on blaming than solutions. You're not setting up an argument that no one should be blamed. You're setting up an argument to shift the blame onto the people you want to blame.

To me, you are not the logic, solution and value driven person you present yourself as being.

Thanks for pointing out the definition. I just wanted to be certain that you were using it the way I thought you were. Now I know that you are.

If Biden loses, everyone who did not vote for Biden contributed to Biden losing. That's an irrefutable fact.

I can agree with that partially. Though I think much of it too lies with the party.
    I'll leave the responsibility deflection games to you. I have no interest in playing that game or the blame game.

If you want to be a person who's serious about focusing on finding solutions to problems, the first thing you need to do is completely erase the concept of blame from your mind. You're more focused on blaming than solutions. You're not setting up an argument that no one should be blamed. You're setting up an argument to shift the blame onto the people you want to blame.

To me, you are not the logic, solution and value driven person you present yourself as being.

Personally I see the need to clarify what problems will be the reason Democrats lose if they do. I think many people tend to have a scapegoat after an event that is tough to stomach. Many need people or groups to blame and often get angry with each other and point fingers. I’m simply curious at what the consensus was pre election and wanted to compare it to what happens after should the worst situation manifest (and we both likely hope it does not).

I don’t know that I am always the most logical person in the room. I haven’t claimed that, and I think it’d be a fool’s errand to go around acting that way. I think I’ve been open generally to hearing other opinions. I’ll take yours in stride and appreciate what you’ve said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom