First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

This is good to see. I have my differences with Bernie - actually more with some Bernie supporters - but he sees what I see in this case.

Fantastic!

And I appreciate Sanders acknowledging this; I don’t think Biden has received the credit he deserves.

“I will do all that I can to see that President Biden is re-elected. Why? Despite my disagreements with him on particular issues, he has been the most effective president in the modern history of our country and is the strongest candidate to defeat Donald Trump.”

Replying to Sam I Am, I think the debate turned out to be the end of this,,, nonsense.

Going forward with vigor now. With the media covering what Biden does instead of covering the Criminal's every move and udderance.

Funny how the "Biden has to go crowd," none of the people on this board, keeps pushing back the deadline of their ultimatum to Biden. Since the debate Biden was allegedly going to be forced out:
    • The week following the debate which was last week. It didn't happen.
    • Then it got moved to this week before Biden met with NATO leaders. It didn't happen.
    • Then it got moved to 48 hours after Biden met with NATO. It didn't happen.
    So what are these unnamed "insiders"now shifting the deadline to, regarding the day that Biden will absolutely and inevitably be forced to drop out of the race?

I’m not very confident Harris or anyone else would win. I think anyone but Biden would have a non 0 chance though.
    Then why bother as much as you are and do?

It’s not “right now”.
    Right now is absolutely right now. That's how time works for us humans. Are you a Time Lord or something?

The debate wasn’t the beginning of this.
    Historically, the debate won't be any part of this. Debates have never played a role in how voters choose to vote.

Funny how the "Biden has to go crowd," none of the people on this board, keeps pushing back the deadline of their ultimatum to Biden. Since the debate Biden was allegedly going to be forced out:
    • The week following the debate which was last week. It didn't happen.
    • Then it got moved to this week before Biden met with NATO leaders. It didn't happen.
    • Then it got moved to 48 hours after Biden met with NATO. It didn't happen.
    So what are these unnamed "insiders"now shifting the deadline to, regarding the day that Biden will absolutely and inevitably be forced to drop out of the race?
    Those are all valid questions.
    Good post.

My dad voted for President Obama twice, Ron Johnson in '16 (despises Hillary) and voted for Biden last time. He hates Trump more than I do and that is saying a lot. He openly wishes death upon him.

He isn't sure he can vote for Joe Biden again.

He is very worried about how many people are focusing on winning the election when those in the military are worried about who is going to command them.
    What I've written below is intended as a comforting reminder. It is not intended to be telling anyone to just shut up and vote a certain way.

If Biden can't command them, either he will step down or someone will step up. The highest levels of the military chain of command has the backs of those who serve in the military and all of our backs as well. Remember that Trump tried to get the military to back his attempted coup and military leadership told him to eff off.

The military brass hate Trump. A lot. They would never say anything disparaging about a CiC publicly however. He isn't going to get more votes from them.
    That's comforting to know. Maybe they could think of voting for Biden as a way of making sure Trump is never their commander in chief again. If Biden is on the ballot they will have to choose between Biden or Trump, as understandably an undesirable choice it may be to them. I think military personnel know all too well that things are seldom the best case scenario.

But the rank and file he does much better with, as Republicans typically do.

Biden won the military popular vote in 2020. He needs to perform well here again.
    Why would military personal who voted against Trump in 2020 vote for Trump now? Wouldn't they just not vote if they can't bring themselves to vote for Biden? What percentage of each state's voting base do military personnel make up? Their voices and concerns are important to hear and acknowledge, but in the context of winning and losing elections, all that matters is how their votes can impact election outcomes in each state.

Quoting my dad here "Saying you shut it down at 8 each day doesn't instill confidence. Tyranny doesn't sleep"
    If Biden is asleep and needs to be waken up, he'll be woken up, just like ever president before him. If Biden is chilling out and needs to make a decision, he'll make a decision. He'll also have several trusted advisors authorized to make a decision if there's ever a situation in which he can't. The VP would be one of those trusted people, as would the highest ranks of the military.

Tyranny doesn't sleep and it also doesn't keep anyone's schedule. Every president has to sleep, because they are human. Every president has to shut it down at some point. What time they go to sleep doesn't matter as long as others are manning the watchtowers and will wake the president up for any authorizations they need from him. The US military command makes most of their decisions and take most of their actions without having to get the president's authorization every time they do. If tyrants attack a military base or vessel, they don't need the president to give them an order to fight back.

Telling the military men and women that these concerns don't matter and they should just shut up and vote can be a problem with a group you don't typically win in the first place.
    I agree that would be disrespectful even more so than an election problem. Is anyone telling them that?

It looks like the dust has settled and he is going to stay in the race. History will tell us if this was when we defeat tyranny and enter a new era or was the final nail in democracy and the free world's coffin. I have very little hope the American people will make the right decision.
    I understand why you and anyone else would have little hope in the American people. What I do for myself is focus on the people I interact with, ranging from friends to strangers I interact with in the physical world and the digital world, to get my sense of how the American people really are. I can honestly say that it's my experience that a sizeable majority of Americans are kind, honest, helping and mostly know what's what. I drown out the bombardment of messages that tell us how the American people are and focus on what I see from the people I interact with.

Just look at this board. I believe and have full faith that majority of you will vote for whoever is the Democratic candidate opposite of Trump on the ballot, no matter how much you'd rather it was someone else.

This couldn’t have captured the current state of our outrage manufacturing media any better.

It was at this point the narrator felt it was important to point out, "that disingenuous, hypocritical, negative reporting targeting Biden came from NBC, the allegedly liberal network in the bag for Biden and Democrats. Those allegations are just stupid *bleepity* *bleep* *bleeping* some stupid *bleeping* *bleepity* *bleep* people say."

Last edited:
    If Biden and Harris win the election and Biden can't serve his full term, Kamala Harris becomes president. That's an objective fact.

Not speaking of anyone on this board.

Most of the people pushing for Biden to step out, due to concerns he couldn't finish his term, said that they wanted Harris to replace him. Most of them also said they were confident Harris would win. When you think about it, that doesn't make sense. If Harris would win, then surely Biden Harris would also win. Anyone that would vote for Harris is also going to vote for Biden Harris, because they know that if Biden has to step down, Harris becomes president. I think that most of the people who would vote for Harris, think it's a given that Biden wouldn't be able to finish his term and would vote Biden Harris with the expectation that Harris would become president at some point during Biden's term.

The people who pushed for Biden to step out, because he is "too and old and frail to finish his term," also claimed they want Harris to replace Biden, because they're confident Harris would win. If they are being sincere about all of that, then it makes no sense for them to want to push Biden out. If they are right that Harris would win, then that means Biden Harris would also win.
    The GOP is definitely going to run on the "if Biden wins, Harris is going to be President" narrative. We have 4 months left in the campaign, and the question I have isn't whether people who would vote for Harris would vote for Biden/Harris or vice versa. The question I have is: Which of the two would be a more effective campaigner going forward in persuading the "independents," fence sitters and "double haters." I'm not confident at all that Harris as the top of a ticket would win; but I am confident she can deliver her - and the party's - message more effectively than Biden can at this point.

And I'm jumping in late on this, but want to ask a question about the lawsuits threatened by the GOP. Is it possible that the reason for those threats is because they strongly do not want Democrats to move forward with an alternative candidate?

This couldn’t have captured the current state of our outrage manufacturing media any better.

There's quite a bit of a difference between someone calling someone the wrong name and what happened to Biden at the debate and you know that. Why do you pretend to act like Biden's problem is just saying the wrong names?

Last edited:
    And I'm jumping in late on this, but want to ask a question about the lawsuits threatened by the GOP. Is it possible that the reason for those threats is because they strongly do not want Democrats to move forward with an alternative candidate?
    It could be, but I don’t believe that’s true. I think Trump wants Joe out of the race. They’ve been breathlessly predicting Biden stepping aside for 2 weeks now. The last prediction was Junior saying his sources tell him it would be Friday, as in yesterday. Trump has predicted it himself a few times. Our resident MAGA is practically spamming the board with posts about it, which I am taking to be an indication of MAGA Twitter.

Politically, if you don’t have to run against a sitting President, that is an advantage. Economy looks good, crime is down, stock market is up, inflation is down, border crossing are way down, jobs are plentiful. All favoring the incumbent.

I think they would file lawsuits because - why not? Create chaos and sow doubt about the legitimacy of the Democratic candidate? It’s their {blank} dream. They’re going to challenge the vote anyway. Just gives them a head start and if it suppresses a few votes, well that’s great for them.

Last edited:
    Then why bother as much as you are and do?

Right now is absolutely right now. That's how time works for us humans. Are you a Time Lord or something?

Historically, the debate won't be any part of this. Debates have never played a role in how voters choose to vote.

You seem to think we’re not going to see debate Joe again.

The GOP is definitely going to run on the "if Biden wins, Harris is going to be President" narrative. We have 4 months left in the campaign, and the question I have isn't whether people who would vote for Harris would vote for Biden/Harris or vice versa. The question I have is: Which of the two would be a more effective campaigner going forward in persuading the "independents," fence sitters and "double haters." I'm not confident at all that Harris as the top of a ticket would win; but I am confident she can deliver her - and the party's - message more effectively than Biden can at this point.

Why do you apply an either / or logic when the situation is that both Biden and Harris campaign together which combines their effectiveness.

Not doing anything is ideal.

the other night on MSNBC (i read about it - I didn’t see it) Alex Wagner was trying to make a point, lost her train of thought in the middle and just trailed off. Multiple talking heads make these kind of mistakes all the time.

Should we take this to mean her mental capacity is seriously in decline?

My point is: people who are saying he’s senile have been proven wrong since the debate. Everybody verbally glitches from time to time - everybody. Biden already verbally glitches more than most due to his speech impediment.

I care about results, not debate performance, not speeches. Truthfully he can be a bit much sometimes when he talks. He’s not great a speeches. He’s corny, sometimes. I don’t care.

IMO, his strengths overcome this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom