First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

How on Earth did you know that that many of my ancestors had come here from Wales? They came here in mass from there way back in the 1600's

I don't think I've ever talked about that here.
    And apparently some of your ancestors's descendants will carry on to be space marines in the future.

Last edited:

At times, Mr. Biden has seemed to hover on the verge of self-awareness, as when he reportedly told Democratic governors last week that he needs to sleep more, work less and avoid public events after 8 p.m. But he has resisted the obvious conclusion that a man who needs to clock out at 8 should not attempt to perform simultaneously two of the world’s most difficult and all-consuming jobs — serving as president and running for president.

From the grass roots to the highest levels of the party, Democrats who want to defeat Mr. Trump in November should speak plainly to Mr. Biden. They need to tell him that his defiance threatens to hand victory to Mr. Trump. They need to tell him that he is embarrassing himself and endangering his legacy. He needs to hear, plain and clear, that he is no longer an effective spokesman for his own priorities.

And apparently some of your ancestors descendants will carry on to be space marines in the future.
    I can read the subtext in that. Yes, some have, and some more will. I have children.

I don't often encounter someone else who can converse in deep subtext. I can, you can, so we can.

I can read the subtext in that. Yes, some have, and some more will. I have children.

I don't often encounter someone else who can converse in deep subtext. I can, you can, so we can.
    I think it's more Tamarian than subtext for me. See the link below for reference:

Meanwhile, Black leaders from former President Obama to former CBC Chair Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio) have spent the last few days reaffirming their support for the Biden-Harris reelection campaign, a major plus for Biden as both he and Trump hope to build support among Black voters.

I don't think Obama continues to support Biden if he thinks Biden isn't fit or that Biden has no chance against Trump. It just doesn't add up for me.

Last edited:

I don't think Obama continues to support Biden if he thinks Biden isn't fit or that Biden has no chance against Trump. It just doesn't add up for me.

I'm not saying this would even be likely, but I'm curious if this is from discussions Obama had with Biden or with his staff? Could his staff not be telling his supporters the whole story?

Just a thought anyway. Was wondering if Obama had actually spoken directly with Biden.

The Biden hyper-scrutinizing and hyper-criticizing is out of control. I can imagine this happening:

Biden buys some kids ice cream at a campaign stop.

Press, pundits, Trump, Republicans and armchair political experts respond by screaming, "How dare Biden give those kids all that sugar and fat. That proves he's lost his mind and is unfit to be president."

I'm not saying this would even be likely, but I'm curious if this is from discussions Obama had with Biden or with his staff? Could his staff not be telling his supporters the whole story?

Just a thought anyway. Was wondering if Obama had actually spoken directly with Biden.
    I think it should be beyond credulous to think that Obama made his decision without having direct interaction with Biden. Both of them say they stay in touch. They have both made several appearances together in the past couple of months. They served together for 8 years. They say they are friends.

The general hysteria being whipped up by a very vocal minority reminds me of UFO's. If you believe UFO's absolutely exist and you are hell bent to see them, then you'll start seeing things that aren't UFO's as UFO's.

"Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding."
    -- Abraham Kaplan

I think it should be beyond credulous to think that Obama made his decision without having direct interaction with Biden. Both of them say they stay in touch. They have both made several appearances together in the past couple of months. They served together for 8 years. They say they are friends.
    Yep, that's what I would think. I can't imagine he's getting second hand reports from Biden’s staff. But I have no idea what's actually true there.
    The general hysteria being whipped up by a very vocal minority reminds me of UFO's. If you believe UFO's absolutely exist and you are hell bent to see them, then you'll start seeing things that aren't UFO's as UFO's.

"Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding."
    -- Abraham Kaplan
    Lol, yeah.

they found it was caused by a combination of spinal stenosis and peripheral nephropathy.
    And get this, Biden’s actual medical report lists both of those condition, which is why he has been seen by a neurologist every year since he was president as part of his annual exam. Biden has been disclosing his medical results regularly.

I am completely shocked by Donk and a bit disappointed at GA. Not that they have the opinion that Biden should step down, that is fine, and I get it.

I just don’t care for the labeling of those of us who feel the opposite, especially while Donk subscribes to a crazy conspiracy theory put out there by several media outlets, who are being irresponsible journalists right now.

And get this, Biden’s actual medical report lists both of those condition, which is why he has been seen by a neurologist every year since he was president as part of his annual exam. Biden has been disclosing his medical results regularly.

I am completely shocked by Donk and a bit disappointed at GA. Not that they have the opinion that Biden should step down, that is fine, and I get it.

I just don’t care for the labeling of those of us who feel the opposite, especially while Donk subscribes to a crazy conspiracy theory put out there by several media outlets, who are being irresponsible journalists right now.
    Spell check messed me up on the peripheral neuropathy. I didn't know Biden's been diagnosed with that and spinal stenosis. That's a weird coincidence.

I was just pointing out that a lot of conditions have similar outward presenting symptoms that can't be diagnosed just by "looking at someone across the mall." That doctor is an attention hound at best and NBC showed what they are all about by putting him on.

My father had to have parts of 3 of the vertebrates in his neck stripped out to take pressure off of his spinal cord. He was nearly paralyzed before the surgery. Now, he's walking with a walker again. He had the surgery about a year ago at the young age of 84. His peripheral neuropathy isn't as bad since the surgery.

I'm baffled by some posters as well that seem to think they are being the most objective and logical when they are clearly very biased and illogical. In my experience, anyone who thinks they're the smartest person in the room is never the smartest person in the room.

The Dunning-Kruger Effect explains why that is.

I don't care!!! I really don't care. All day and all night I don't care.
    I don't care to eat green eggs and ham, says Sam I am.

I am Sam. I don't care Donk, I don't care at all.

Biden will be the candidate, win or lose in 2024.

So there’s more here than just not caring.

Should you not care with regard to your voting preference in 2024 because he’s the Democrats choice in 2024 and the only real choice vs Trump? Certainly. That’s a no brainier.

Should you care as an American citizen because slowing down as sharply as Biden has could undoubtedly affect his ability to lead now and beyond? I think so. Absolutely.

Last edited:
    This is not a typical election. This election comes down to two choices, unless something that can not be expected happens:

1720535249029.png

Love 'em, like 'em, or hate 'em, those are the choices nonetheless. Only one of those two is going to win.

Vote for the one you most want to win or against the one you most want to lose.

I don't see how anybody could truly not care one way or the other. That's why I don't believe there are many voters who are truly "undecided" or fence sitters.

ETA: By not many, I mean not a large percent.

Last edited:

There is definitely no consensus on Biden. Lots of talk about how difficult the situation is for Dems.

Rep. Jahana Hayes (D-Conn.) said that putting Harris atop the ticket would be setting her up for failure.

Rep. Mark Takano (D-Calif.) said he saw a poll recently that had Biden losing in his district. Biden won his district with 62% of the vote last time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom