First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Certainly, but far more than those 4 are absolutely concerned about what's going on with the Biden campaign right now.

I do agree with the click baiting, but that's been SOP for as long as I can remember.
    Yes, but I've limited my comments to the set who have actually called for Biden to bow out of the election, perhaps resign the Presidency.

None but that four have crossed that crimson line. Frankly they have not thus far developed any more clout by being mere members of Congress with the leadership of the party than I have over my life developed through activism.

Four grandstanders amoung them is all. That's not a sign of a movement which is moving anywhere. That's a sign of random action occurring with a few, amoung many in a much larger set.

Yesterday I called this as being a flap which has run its course, is over. Baring something new being added, Biden is here to stay through at least the end of this election.

I closed ranks with the leadership and appear to have gotten my way for at least this one.

:D

So, you don’t care that Trump would most likely beat Harris.

Thanks for clearing that up.

So you don’t care about the constitution? Thanks for clearing that up.

I think he beats both. But we have a process for this situation and that involves the VP being elevated.

So you don’t care about the constitution? Thanks for clearing that up.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? The only ways Harris becomes candidate is if Biden resigns or the congress pushes a 25th amendment action. The first isn’t happening and the second will never happen. Your personal position is a wish for Harris to become president when she stands exactly zero chance of beating Trump.

Thus you do not care if Trump is elected.

Furthermore, in point of opinion, the Democratic Party is engaged in ritual suicide. The RWNJs are loving this. Yes, the media is driving the narrative. That does not excuse the actions within the party.

That's what I've been concerned with. I love it that someone has tabulated that data. Here's an image of how that feels to be on the receiving end of that big dredge hose.

This image is of a dredge nourishing an eroding beach. (That euphemism of it being "nourishment," it means they blow a big hose of sand on it)

solent-1.jpg

How did you arrive at that conclusion? The only ways Harris becomes candidate is if Biden resigns or the congress pushes a 25th amendment action. The first isn’t happening and the second will never happen. Your personal position is a wish for Harris to become president when she stands exactly zero chance of beating Trump.

Thus you do not care if Trump is elected.

Furthermore, in point of opinion, the Democratic Party is engaged in ritual suicide. The RWNJs are loving this. Yes, the media is driving the narrative. That does not excuse the actions within the party.

If the reports are correct Biden is unfit to be president today. That’s why I say he should resign. It has nothing to do with the Election. It shouldn’t have anything to do with the election.

I don’t think either party gave us their best candidate. Nothing can be done about that now.

I'd say I'm mostly agnostic towards them really with the caveat that I'd feel much more comfortable if Biden were consistently ahead.
    That's what I understand from you. I'd feel a bit less anxiety if Biden were consistently ahead too, but I still will have anxiety until the election officially certifies anyone but Trump as the winner.

Last edited:
    If Biden isn't going to step down and wants to continue his campaign, then it's time for the D party, and anti-Trump voters, to stop fantasizing about alternative realities and get behind the one we have. This election is about preventing Trump from getting back into the Oval Office. That's not just the primary objective - it's the only objective.

I'm no campaign strategist, but it doesn't seem to me that a focus on Biden's past accomplishments is getting the job done. But neither should the campaign be focusing on whether Biden is "up to it" anymore. Focus on why letting Trump back into power would be a complete catastrophe: his outrageous social media comments; his complete selfishness and willingness to abuse the powers of the office; the real prospect of an imperial President who will NOT step down at the end of a second term; the real weaponization of the DOJ; more hard right SC justices on the way; Project 2025; the selling out of Ukraine, NATO and allies; his planned economic policies to include high tariffs on imported goods; the general non-stop lying and buffoonery that is Trump; etc.; etc. Compared to the alternative, and if you are truly a voter who opposes Trump, why should it matter to you whether Biden is old or that Harris might become President?

If the reports are correct Biden is unfit to be president today. That’s why I say he should resign. It has nothing to do with the Election. It shouldn’t have anything to do with the election.

I don’t think either party gave us their best candidate. Nothing can be done about that now.
    We know for sure Trump is unfit and have known that for a long time, yet no one is calling on him to resign.

Greg, I think I need you to reevaluate those reports. There's nothing in those reports I've seen which would cause me to feel Biden is unfit. I think he fits in real well in DC.

DC being that mythical place in this word where both the old elephants, and the old jackasses go to die.

Along another vein. This time you're not half right, this time you're alright. "Nothing can be done about that now."

I will affirm that whole truth for that isolated factual matter, nothing can be done about it now.

Certainly, but far more than those 4 are absolutely concerned about what's going on with the Biden campaign right now.

I do agree with the click baiting, but that's been SOP for as long as I can remember.
    You can only remember as far back as the internet's been around? I wish I was that young. I can remember as far back as the sensational headlines being above the fold to get you to put a quarter in one of these things:

1720372125515.png

That was the OG clickbait.

I'm no campaign strategist, but it doesn't seem to me that a focus on Biden's past accomplishments is getting the job done.

Seems voters have woefully short term memories. It is why trump is ahead (sometimes by a large amount) in polls regarding opinions whether he or Biden would be better at such things as immigration, China/tariffs, economy etc

Facing backlash from many of the people who made up their readership, it appears the New York Times has closed its account on Threads.

To me that suggests that the New York Times was not reporting what the general public thinks, but was instead reporting what they want the general public to think the general public thinks. That's not reporting. That's trying to sway what people think and do. That's the very definition of propaganda, regardless of the fact that it was the New York Times doing it.

By the way, does anybody remember the New York Time's role in the ramp up to the invasion of Iraq?

We know for sure Trump is unfit and have known that for a long time, yet no one is calling on him to resign.

He’s not president right now struggling to put two sentences together. The voters will decide who is most fit in November. The problem is Biden is President now and probably shouldn’t be.

There is also an implied belief that if the media treated them equally Biden wouldn't be losing. That's conjecture.

It's also implied that Biden is actually losing.....polls are incredibly unreliable.....THAT is conjecture.....

Again for all the reasons MT15 stated above.....if you aren't seeing that then you have blinders on.....if you had Biden stating half the outrageous incredibly incoherent, lying, ranting ramblings as Trump they would have run him off the rails a while ago.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom