First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

I'm being completely serious. You know me well enough to know that.

Well, I saw AFTER my post that you said you changed your mind after the debate. Forget Biden for a second, what exactly did you see in Trump during that debate that changed your mind?
    Hmm, I just reread your post. Now I am focusing on your final question.
    I don't see anything I like about Trump.
    I don't like him Dave.
    I have nothing good to say about him.
    My "whole thing" is driven by my fear of Biden in the Situation Room.
    He shouldn't be there.
    Trump would not be my first choice by a long shot but at least he knows we are in the year 2024.

So most of MAGA, including MOC and at least one sitting Senator tweeted this out right after the interview aired. I’m going to take this as an indication that the interview did in fact go well for Biden.

Oh, and just to be sure, it’s a complete lie, made up out of thin air.

It’s fine if you think Biden isn’t fit for the office but it’s absurd if you think Trump is, and you’re reasoning is mental lapses or misspoken words.

Covfefe to you, though.
    "Covfefe to you as well"
    I'm not promoting myself for President.
    My words actually are not important except to the person who asked me a question.

So, I’m reading from regular people on Twitter that the interview went well. I may read the transcript.

I really don’t see how the interview moves the needle in Biden’s favor but if I’m wrong about that, great.

I think it’s more likely going to increase pressure from within Democratic ranks. Biden is a decent man and means well, but I’m worried he’s dug in and not looking at everything clearly. Understand, I still share the concerns you have about making a change. I just came away from this interview feeling more so like we’re just moving closer to that. His answer on how he’d feel if Trump wins was bad. Really tone deaf to the dangers we are facing. At least that’s how is struck me.

"Covfefe to you as well"
    I'm not promoting myself for President.
    My words actually are not important except to the person who asked me a question.

Lol, I wasn’t responding as if you are.

I’m saying your reasoning is entirely hypocritical.

You don’t won’t to vote for the guy who misspoke on the year but will vote for the guy who tweeted Covfefe, and says and posts the most absurd stuff on a regular basis.

Me too. I have stress related trauma from the 2016 election. When Bernie supporters (including some in the left wing media) were so pissed they basically boycotted. And we got Trump. (I know it wasn’t the only reason, but it was undeniably part of it.)

Once Biden steps down, politicians are going to politic. Media is going to put a microscope on every little thing. Giving up the incumbency is not a super great idea, at least in a normal race.

I don’t think anyone knows what effect Biden stepping down will have. I don’t believe he is actually behind Trump like the polls say. Too many polls are wrong these days, and they always are underestimating democratic support.
    You can’t be serious? You have stress related trauma from an election? If that’s the case you probably need to take a step back from politics. That’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard.

Hmm, I just reread your post. Now I am focusing on your final question.
    I don't see anything I like about Trump.
    I don't like him Dave.
    I have nothing good to say about him.
    My "whole thing" is driven by my fear of Biden in the Situation Room.
    He shouldn't be there.
    Trump would not be my first choice by a long shot but at least he knows we are in the year 2024.
    Your words betray you then. You didn't gave a single reason anyone should vote for Trump. That says all I need to know.

If you vote for Biden then YOU don't give a damn about our country. Right back at you. I expect Biden to step down so too many people are focusing on Steve voting for Trump....with Biden gone, Steve will NOT be voting for Trump.
    Bullschlitz. The only damn thing you care about is abortion. And, since I am fairly new here so I don’t know about this but if you don’t care about programs to help such as SNAP, Head Start, higher minimum wage then you aren’t pro-life. You are simply anti-abortion. Which is fine. But if you you don’t want programs to help then you are just as intellectually dishonest as the entire Republican Party claiming they are Pro-Life. What is worse is you vote for idiots that don’t give a damn about a baby after it is born.

That is disgusting. Force a woman to carry a dead fetus. Feel good about yourself?

When you vote Republican for ANY office you show you don’t give a damn.

You can’t be serious? You have stress related trauma from an election? If that’s the case you probably need to take a step back from politics. That’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard.
    Dude, seriously? She's completely serious. If you understood what a setback Trump being elected was for a pro-choice Democtratic woman, you'd realize that was traumatic for a lot of them. I mean, Trump singlehandedly turned SCOTUS into the one that overturned Roe vs Wade. That might not register with Republican men, but it definitely does to pro-choice women.

Your words betray you then. You didn't gave a single reason anyone should vote for Trump. That says all I need to know.
    I agree with your take on me.
    I don't have any words of encouragement to future voters about Trump.
    For a couple of years I've been consistently posting I dreaded either Biden or Trump.
    I have not actually budged from that.
    Yet my fellow Americans nominated Biden and Trump.
    Wrong decisions on both sides of the political aisle.
    Oh well. It's not of my doing.

Concerns about big money contributions and down ballot elections and initiatives are about to add to the mounting pressure.

So that’s a bit of hyperbole. But not entirely. Your response is exactly as I would have predicted. Completely dismissive.

Politics affects everyone’s lives. I lost a neighbor due to Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic. She didn’t take it seriously - even though we all tried to convince her. My husband served with her on the neighborhood board. She was a very nice lady, a retired school principal. They wintered in Gulf Shores, and she came back from there with Covid that first year. She made it at first, but not without some permanent lung damage. She believed Trump - it’s nothing, it will go away. She thought it was silly to take precautions, it’s just the flu. She eventually died from her lungs failing her. We thought she was getting better, she came home on oxygen, until she went back in the hospital and she never came out.

The day Trump won, I was sick to my stomach. I knew he was a monster. In 2019, I actually thought we almost made it through his presidency without a cataclysmic catastrophe. Well, we didn’t make it. There are approximately 400,000 excess deaths in the US from Covid. That is what Trump did.

You can act like his presidency didn’t hurt people, but I know better. Most people know better.

Not good odds. Since polls have been wonky since 2015, I usually don't care too much unless there is a 5+ point difference. Biden is now behind by 6
    Biden’s slide in the polls since the debate puts him in a hole larger than all but two incumbents — who were both defeated for reelection — going back more than four decades.

For a couple of years I've been consistently posting I dreaded either Biden or Trump.
    You haven’t answered my question. Why do Biden’s gaffes count, but Trump’s do not?

And if you vote for Trump, it is exactly your “doing”.

Just how I see it, but if you were true to yourself, you'd abstain like you said you would.

But it's your conscience and your decision. I disagree with it is all I can say.

I ask myself this simple question, would Biden and his supporters have attacked the Capitol had he lost the election, and the answer there is pretty obvious. And that's really the bottom line for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom