First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

No, we have one older man with actual morals and a competent team around him - I will grant you the ego, nobody who runs for president is deficient in that area.

And we have a criminal, immoral conman who cares nothing about anything except himself. A pathological sociopath, who thought it was awesome that he convinced a bunch of people it was patriotic to break in and deface the Capitol and threaten his VP.

Trump doesn’t have mere ego - he’s mentally ill. He tells us who he admires on the world stage all the damn time. Dictators, people who murder their political rivals.

Calling them the same in any way, shape or form is just gaslighting. Pure bull shirt.
    All of what you said is your opinion and that’s fine. I disagree. I think Biden is a racist and a crook as well with a huge ego. I can see past R and D and be honest about both. I will probably be voting independent because Biden, Trump, Harris, AOC, Newsome, DeSantis, etc are all horrible people who shouldn’t be in charge of anything. Having to pick the lesser of 2 evils should never be a situation Americans should be in.

What is the infatuation with Newsone. He is destroying CA, there is mass exodus out of California because of his politics. Some of the most liberal people in the world are getting the hell out and being vocal about it.
    Are you voting for Trump? If so, it's not gonna matter what you think of Newsom. What matters is whether he'll bring enough votes to make it worth considering him. I think out of all of the Democratic candidates, he brings a lot more to the table than the others. Winning is all that matters right now.

Last edited:
    The Hill, Fox News, The Blaze, I could go on. (how could I forget the WSJ?)
    You're ignoring the fact CNN, CBS, NBC, and others are saying the same thing. Hell, Sanjay Gupta is saying Biden should submit to tests and make the results public. Is he in the GOP's pocket? Are those other news outlets?

All of what you said is your opinion and that’s fine. I disagree. I think Biden is a racist and a crook as well with a huge ego. I can see past R and D and be honest about both. I will probably be voting independent because Biden, Trump, Harris, AOC, Newsome, DeSantis, etc are all horrible people who shouldn’t be in charge of anything. Having to pick the lesser of 2 evils should never be a situation Americans should be in.
    So I gave you facts about what Trump has actually done - and you respond with what you “think” Biden thinks or what you suspect he has done? You have zero proof of any criminal activity on Biden’s part. He has released his taxes for decades.

There is never a perfect person, we always pick the better of two imperfect people. But Trump is definitely a different beast. He’s mentally ill. Should never have any authority over anything or anyone.

So I gave you facts about what Trump has actually done - and you respond with what you “think” Biden thinks or what you suspect he has done? You have zero proof of any criminal activity on Biden’s part. He has released his taxes for decades.

There is never a perfect person, we always pick the better of two imperfect people. But Trump is definitely a different beast. He’s mentally ill. Should never have any authority over anything or anyone.
    It will come out. I would venture to guess that’s why he doesn’t want to give up his spot. His son’s problems are just starting and it’s obvious his dad was aware and involved in his wrongdoing and you can bet the republicans are going to go full steam ahead after the Biden family. It won’t end well for any of them. Everyone said Trump was a crook before he even went to trial and now people are saying the same about the Bidens. It will come out.

You're ignoring the fact CNN, CBS, NBC, and others are saying the same thing. Hell, Sanjay Gupta is saying Biden should submit to tests and make the results public. Is he in the GOP's pocket? Are those other news outlets?
    I’m not saying all of them, I said some of the news media is. Some are chasing clicks. What I am saying is use a little bit of healthy skepticism when sources are unidentified. I did that with the Trump stuff too. Here is a good example:

The letters supposedly being circulated in Congress - a staffer for a D congressman wrote on Twitter that he nor his boss knew anything about it. He pointed out that the story used a single anonymous source supposedly a D staffer. (He’s not anonymous, his name is out there.) He didn’t say it wasn’t true- he just cautioned that reporters are under a lot of pressure right now to come up with news about Biden. They’re just people, they will try to save their jobs. They may run with a story that isn’t vetted up to their normal standards in this situation. Using a single anonymous source isn’t great journalistic practice.

That’s all I’m saying. There’s a totally non-zero chance that the Dems would be making a huge mistake to force Biden out. There’s a totally non-zero chance they would be making a huge mistake if they don’t. It’s not as simple as some people are making it out to be.

My guess is that a large portion of the GOP would LOVE to run against Harris rather than Biden. They’ve been bad-mouthing her in horrible, misogynistic, racist terms since 2020. Her poll numbers reflect the hit job they’ve already accomplished.

But if Harris is pushed aside, I believe it will splinter the party. We cannot afford more Trump, we just can’t. I don’t want to rush into any huge decision here. And I feel like we are being absolutely rushed into it.

It will come out. I would venture to guess that’s why he doesn’t want to give up his spot. His son’s problems are just starting and it’s obvious his dad was aware and involved in his wrongdoing and you can bet the republicans are going to go full steam ahead after the Biden family. It won’t end well for any of them. Everyone said Trump was a crook before he even went to trial and now people are saying the same about the Bidens. It will come out.
    Bull shirt. No evidence except for Kremlin plants.

We heard the same about Hillary, Trump’s DOJ reportedly tried until the end of his term, and came away with nothing.

Whatever criticism can be made of Biden, he’s about as close to what a lot of people say they want in the character of their elected officials. Before our most bitter divides set in, even Lindsey Graham gushed about what a great man Biden is and the nicest person he’s ever known in politics.

I’m not trying to convince you of anything, just expressing how wrong I think you are.

This is just nonsense. If it were legit, it would have been litigated already. You're repeating typical MAGA Republican talking points. Hunter made mistakes and he's paid the price for those mistakes. And fwiw, most normal folks would never get prosecuted for what Hunter got charged with. Iirc, less than 1% of those cases ended up with a conviction. Usually those charges happen when some other crime is committed with the gun. It was a political hit job. And I'm not even a fan of the Bidens. I call a spade when I see a spade.

I’m not trying to convince you of anything, just expressing how wrong I think you are.
    IMO it is a coping mechanism. They (GOP who supported Trump in the past, or support him now) know deep down what they are supporting. They know how broken, twisted and malevolent he is. They have to make Biden out to be the same to justify what they are doing or did.

People don't believe you because you claimed multiple times that you wouldn't vote for either of both were still in the election. Now you're saying you'd vote for Trump over Biden. You haven't explained what changed between then and now, so I can understand why people are skeptical of what you're saying.
    I haven't explained! Seriously?
    I have been quoted multiple times and I've explained multiple times.
    Seriously!?
    I just went back to my post from this afternoon and edited it : " @DaveXA "
    It was a response to @J-DONK

Last edited:
    IMO it is a coping mechanism. They (GOP who supported Trump in the past, or support him now) know deep down what they are supporting. They know how broken, twisted and malevolent he is. They have to make Biden out to be the same to justify what they are doing or did.

Yep. Trump has been accused of misconduct going back decades. It’s who he is. He’s mistreated people his entire life and is only motivated by greed and to serve himself. He’s the dreadful antithesis of the man being pushed out of the race. It’s true that Biden might not have enough left for one more political fight but it’s a travesty that Trump has been elevated to these heights and that anybody has to run against him. I’ve lost respect for many people, and faith in our nation to ever move away from its worst impulses.

I haven't explained! Seriously?
    I have been quoted multiple times and I've explained multiple times.
    Seriously!?

I'm being completely serious. You know me well enough to know that.

Well, I saw AFTER my post that you said you changed your mind after the debate. Forget Biden for a second, what exactly did you see in Trump during that debate that changed your mind?

I'm being completely serious. You know me well enough to know that.

Well, I saw AFTER my post that you said you changed your mind after the debate. Forget Biden for a second, what exactly did you see in Trump during that debate that changed your mind?
    I see you found it.
    My @ with your name was not needed after all.
    Now I have yet another reason.
    Biden said today that he will beat Trump a second time in the year 2020.
    I HAVE to do everything in my power to keep Biden out of continuing to be the Commander in Chief.
    What else has changed?.....
    NJ is now up for grabs. If Biden won by one vote I'd have failed my country.
    If Biden drops out I will resume my pledge not to vote for Trump.
    Harris vs Trump....I abstain
    Newsom vs Trump...I abstain
    ANY Democrat vs Trump....I abstain
    I will only vote for Trump if Biden doesn't drop out.
    That's how much I fear having "Mr. 2020 confused old guy" as the President for another 4 years. It just can't happen Dave. It's so important to get him to retire with honor instead of continuing down this embarrassing path.

So, I’m reading from regular people on Twitter that the interview went well. I may read the transcript.

I also like this Fetterman guy:

I see you found it.
    I HAVE to do everything in my power to keep Biden out of continuing to be the Commander in Chief.
    That's how much I fear having "Mr. 2020 confused old guy" as the President for another 4 years. It just can't happen Dave. It's so important to get him to retire with honor instead of continue down this embarrassing path.
    Why do Biden’s gaffes count but Trump’s gaffes don’t? Answer me that and I might believe you.

I see you found it.
    That's how much I fear having "Mr. 2020 confused old guy" as the President for another 4 years. It just can't happen Dave. It's so important to get him to retire with honor instead of continue down this embarrassing path.

It’s fine if you think Biden isn’t fit for the office but it’s absurd if you think Trump is, and you’re reasoning is mental lapses or misspoken words.

Covfefe to you, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom