First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Enh, a few minutes into this interview, I don’t think it’s going to do anything to reassure people. I’ll see if my opinion changes, but he just comes across as tired. I’m not worried about his mind like others are, but I am worried that he’s not going to be able instill confidence in the electorate.

He’s admitting he’s exhausted. That’s just not something I recall presidents doing publicly.

Enh, a few minutes into this interview, I don’t think it’s going to do anything to reassure people. I’ll see if my opinion changes, but he just comes across as tired. I’m not worried about his mind like others are, but I am worried that he’s not going to be able instill confidence in the electorate.

He’s admitting he’s exhausted. That’s just not something I recall presidents doing publicly.
    I’m not watching. Won’t change anything for me, my vote is solid for the democratic ticket, whoever it is. And it may make me feel bad.

Watching this interview and Biden is not all there anymore. He’s confused and can’t stay on subject. He needs to stop calling Trump a liar and actually answer a question. Politicians calling politicians liars is one of the funniest things in politics.

Sorry, I just don’t think that’s true. I think Trump knows he lost one time and feels like it’s not at all certain he would win this time. When he doesn’t fear someone, he doesn’t talk about them. He’s been hammering Biden hard ever since he announced.

I think Trumpworld knows that if Biden steps aside it’s a new ball game. He will no longer be running against an incumbent president and he will pretty much assume the mantle of the incumbent because he was already president. Incumbency is a huge advantage.
    You not listening to the news then, mt. Reports out of Trumpworld is that they want Biden and see him as weak and ruined. Why do you think that Trump's been mostly quiet. Are the news outlets now being played?

The idea that we should put AOC on the ticket, or Sanders, or anyone else from the left flank of the party just shows how little thought people are giving to the actual campaign. Harris will be pilloried as too progressive by the GOP.
    Don't care waht the GOP thinks. I don't really care if the VP candidate is a moderate or progressive, I'll vote for Harris over Biden and Trump if it comes to that.
    Absolutely gutted. Pairing another farther left person is just tone-deaf.
    Maybe, I'm not sure. Personally, I'd go with Newsom in the VP spot with Harris. Whether he'd be willing to do that, idk.
    Ditto for the couple of people I have seen suggesting putting Adam Kinzinger or Liz Cheney in the VP slot with Harris. I admire both of them for their principled stands against Trump, but their stances on policies will turn off most of the Democratic Party. (I mean, I would still vote for that ticket, as well as one with AOC or Sanders - but like you said, I’m not the swing voter they’re trying to attract).
    They would attract swing voters and independents in droves, without a doubt. I'd bet my house that a Harris-Anti-Trump Republican would win the election in a landslide. It wouldn't be close.

As I stated earlier, it's a pipe dream though. DNC ain't gonna allow that. I do think the best option is a moderate Democrat, but how effective that will actually be, idk.

The problem is that the Dems I know don’t like Harris and right now people think they are voting Harris not Biden. Secondly people have been talking about Bidens health for years but it was Chalked up to the republicans making it up. They wouldn’t even allow Dems to run against him which is why Kennedy went independent. The Democrats did this to themselves and how Trump will win is people not going to vote or voting Jennedy independent.

If God comes down and tells him not to run he may change his mind. Bat shirt crazy

He’s throwing his own VP under the bus by saying nobody can do what he can. It also sets him up in a bad place to endorse a replacement if that happens.

When asked how he’ll feel if he stays in the race and Trump wins, knowing the dire consequences, he said (paraphrasing) he’ll feel good that he gave his all.

That’s a bad answer and is going to resonate with people that he doesn’t fully accept what’s on the line.

He’s confident in himself - and that’s fine and expected - but I expect this all falls flat with people who want him out of the race.

I’m not watching. Won’t change anything for me, my vote is solid for the democratic ticket, whoever it is. And it may make me feel bad.
    You better dress up like God and head to the White House or you don’t have a chance in this election

There is absolutely an unfairness to this as it relates to Trump, but that’s politics.

Anybody who is planning on voting for Trump doesn’t have the standing to be smug about Biden needing to drop out.

If Biden is replaced, the far worse candidate will still be in the race.

Don't care waht the GOP thinks. I don't really care if the VP candidate is a moderate or progressive, I'll vote for Harris over Biden and Trump if it comes to that.

Maybe, I'm not sure. Personally, I'd go with Newsom in the VP spot with Harris. Whether he'd be willing to do that, idk.

They would attract swing voters and independents in droves, without a doubt. I'd bet my house that a Harris-Anti-Trump Republican would win the election in a landslide. It wouldn't be close.

As I stated earlier, it's a pipe dream though. DNC ain't gonna allow that. I do think the best option is a moderate Democrat, but how effective that will actually be, idk.
    What is the infatuation with Newsone. He is destroying CA, there is mass exodus out of California because of his politics. Some of the most liberal people in the world are getting the hell out and being vocal about it.

There is absolutely an unfairness to this as it relates to Trump, but that’s politics.

Anybody who is planning on voting for Trump doesn’t have the standing to be smug about Biden needing to drop out.

If Biden is replaced, the far worse candidate will still be in the race.
    Actually Bidens own party and the liberal media are putting the final knife in his coffin. Listening to ABC they are saying most Dems in congress are calling for him to step down and the media is pushing him to do it. They are not instilling confidence in people on the fence.

You better dress up like God and head to the White House or you don’t have a chance in this election
    BS. Trump isn’t ahead in any polls, I don’t believe it for a minute. He is the worse person we have ever had in the presidency, a cheating, lying bag of absolute shirt, who would sell out this country in a flat minute to stay out of jail, or make a buck. Most people know this. An oily, wanna-be gangster.

Actually Bidens own party and the liberal media are putting the final knife in his coffin. Listening to ABC they are saying most Dems in congress are calling for him to step down and the media is pushing him to do it. They are not instilling confidence in people on the fence.

That has nothing to do with what I said.

You not listening to the news then, mt. Reports out of Trumpworld is that they want Biden and see him as weak and ruined. Why do you think that Trump's been mostly quiet. Are the news outlets now being played?
    Because when your enemy is making a mistake, you don’t interrupt them. That’s why.

Some news outlets are being pretty lax with sources. They are facing huge revenue cuts, and they want controversy. It sells. Some are in the bag for the GOP.

BS. Trump isn’t ahead in any polls, I don’t believe it for a minute. He is the worse person we have ever had in the presidency, a cheating, lying bag of absolute shirt, who would sell out this country in a flat minute to stay out of jail, or make a buck. Most people know this. An oily, wanna-be gangster.

ABC just said Trump is up 6 points and Biden agreed with him. And let’s be honest here Biden doesn’t care about you me or anyone else. His ego is as big as Trumps which is why he won’t step down. We have 2 idiots running for president and nobody has put up a half decent opponent to compete against either one of them.

ABC just said Trump is up 6 points and Biden agreed with him. And let’s be honest here Biden doesn’t care about you me or anyone else. His ego is as big as Trumps which is why he won’t step down. We have 2 idiots running for president and nobody has put up a half decent opponent to compete against either one of them.
    No, we have one older man with actual morals and a competent team around him - I will grant you the ego, nobody who runs for president is deficient in that area.

And we have a criminal, immoral conman who cares nothing about anything except himself. A pathological sociopath, who thought it was awesome that he convinced a bunch of people it was patriotic to break in and deface the Capitol and threaten his VP.

Trump doesn’t have mere ego - he’s mentally ill. He tells us who he admires on the world stage all the damn time. Dictators, people who murder their political rivals.

Calling them the same in any way, shape or form is just gaslighting. Pure bull shirt.

No, we have one older man with actual morals and a competent team around him - I will grant you the ego, nobody who runs for president is deficient in that area.

And we have a criminal, immoral conman who cares nothing about anything except himself. A pathological sociopath, who thought it was awesome that he convinced a bunch of people it was patriotic to break in and deface the Capitol and threaten his VP.

Trump doesn’t have mere ego - he’s mentally ill. He tells us who he admires on the world stage all the damn time. Dictators, people who murder their political rivals.

Calling them the same in any way, shape or form is just gaslighting. Pure bull shirt.

Biden is older and slower and it’s showing. Trump is completely broken. He has no redeeming qualities and didn’t do a single thing as president to benefit others that didn’t first and foremost benefit himself.

There is no both-sides to this.

Some news outlets are being pretty lax with sources. They are facing huge revenue cuts, and they want controversy. It sells. Some are in the bag for the GOP.
    Wow. That wasn't the issue when sources were saying things about Trump. Now, they're in the bag of the GOP? I can't respond to this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom