/* */

First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

My girlfriend made a point that someone on CNN also made the other day which is basically this:

As uncomfortable and unpleasant as this all is regarding Biden this is what democracy looks like, questioning if a leader should step aside and be replaced

There is and has never been any such questioning, soul searching or hand wringing about Trump.

Jan 6th? All in on Trump

Hundreds of people arrested and convicted for Jan 6th, most of whom blamed Trump and his rhetoric for them being there in the first place? All in on Trump

Found guilty for sexual assault with a 90 million dollar penalty? All in on Trump

Found guilty for defrauding New York with a 400 million dollar penalty? All in on Trump

Charged with dozens of felonies? All in on Trump

Found guilty of 34 felonies? All in on Trump

Basically says he plans on tearing down the government? All in on Trump

Rambles nonsensically about shark attacks and electrocutions? All in on Trump

Rumors his name is all in the Epstein files? All in on Trump

Other than the usual suspects Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, Michael Steele and Lincoln Project, etc., there has not been any real question of "Should Trump be our guy?"

Not from the base, not the GOP politicians, not conservative media

You bet your sweet arse he’s their guy

They are truly ride or die, no matter what

Just like the authoritarians Trump admires so much

You dare question Dear Leader or express any concern about whether he should be the dear leader? Pack your bags and prepare your concession speech

Last edited:

Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.) is attempting to assemble a group of Democratic senators to ask President Biden to exit the presidential race, according to two people with direct knowledge of the effort.

Warner is telling Democratic senators that Biden can no longer remain in the election in the wake of his faltering debate performance, according to the people familiar with private conversations who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak freely. Warner has told others that he is deeply concerned that Biden is not able to run a campaign that could beat former president Donald Trump.

If Biden ends up being forced out, I sure hope everybody calling for it rallies around whomever his replacement is with gahdamn enthusiasm. No fighting over 20 potential replacements and fracturing the party four months out. No hurt feelings over something the new candidate said or did 10 years ago. No crying about being too this or too that. People are making age related concerns the single most important issue so if we negate that, let’s hopefully move on. No excuses. We need to get down to the business of beating Trump and facsism.

I’m skeptical, though.

Last edited:
    CNN and other large media corporations are hammering Biden because of his plans for corporate and wealthy tax rates. It really is that simple. I think Biden should have stepped down after 1 term, but he is the non Trump option at this point and it is probably too late logistically in the game to change directions.

I've seen the further left oriented media sourced do feeding frenzies about the Criminal's decline.

I'm about to write the "Stop Biden" crowd off.

I suspect they disliked Biden during the 2020 primary a lot and said similar kinds of things about him back then.

I would imagine there is an underlying intention to get rid of Biden and Harris now, so that they can insert someone further to the left to suit their own desire.

Although I haven't heard anyone mention Bernie as a replacement candidate. Not yet. I don't know if I ought to be surprised by that, or not.

Bernie is off the table since the oust-Biden contingent has made this about age-related ability.

CNN and other large media corporations are hammering Biden because of his plans for corporate and wealthy tax rates. It really is that simple. I think Biden should have stepped down after 1 term, but he is the non Trump option at this point and it is probably too late logistically in the game to change directions.

There is a huge contingent that believes Trump is unfit for office. All of these people now "hammering" Biden after the debate because they now see him as unfit for office. America somehow has to choose between a convicted felon, and a senile old man. There is a lot of anger about this being our only choices. There is a lot of anger at Biden, and everyone involved in his decision to run for a second term. What really angers people is the Democratic bench. It's viewed as deep, and wide. We had plenty of good options that were all robbed, along with the American people, of making their case to be Democratic nominee. This anger continues to pique as Joe Biden hides from the press, and make gaffs for the few minutes he does appear.

It's ridiculous to try to attribute this to a tax evasion scheme by corporate media.

There is a huge contingent that believes Trump is unfit for office. All of these people now "hammering" Biden after the debate because they now see him as unfit for office. America somehow has to choose between a convicted felon, and a senile old man. There is a lot of anger about this being our only choices. There is a lot of anger at Biden, and everyone involved in his decision to run for a second term. What really angers people is the Democratic bench is viewed as deep, and wide. We had plenty of good options that were all robbed, along with the American people, of making their case to be Democratic nominee. This anger continues to pique as Joe Biden hides from the press, and make gaffs for the few minutes he does appear.

It's ridiculous to try to attribute this to a tax evasion scheme by corporate media.
    I disagree because these same media outlets do not hold Trump to the same level of scrutiny. Again, I'm not disagreeing that Biden is too old.

I said my goal is to get Biden to drop out so I can resume my pledge not to vote for Trump. I think Biden is receiving so much pressure from your side of the aisle and from the social media....well I think he will ultimately drop out. Thus this Haley supporter will simply return to only voting down ballot.
    I don’t give a flying flock at a rolling doughnut what your pledge is. If you vote for Trump then you don’t give a damn about the country. He and every damn politician, think tank, billionaire donor don’t give a damn about the country.

I disagree because these same media outlets do not hold Trump to the same level of scrutiny. Again, I'm not disagreeing that Biden is too old.

I've seen this comment multiple times on this board, and it's not true. The Trump trial was all over the news.

There is a huge contingent that believes Trump is unfit for office. All of these people now "hammering" Biden after the debate because they now see him as unfit for office. America somehow has to choose between a convicted felon, and a senile old man. There is a lot of anger about this being our only choices. There is a lot of anger at Biden, and everyone involved in his decision to run for a second term. What really angers people is the Democratic bench. It's viewed as deep, and wide. We had plenty of good options that were all robbed, along with the American people, of making their case to be Democratic nominee. This anger continues to pique as Joe Biden hides from the press, and make gaffs for the few minutes he does appear.

Some good candidates ran four years ago and the people rejected them. Biden wasn’t swimming in popularity then, either.

And a lot of other people are not mad at an incumbent president, who has managed some significant successes during very challenging times, running for reelection. Concerned from the debate but not mad. To be clear about that.

Bernie is off the table since the oust-Biden contingent has made this about age-related ability.
    It is that.. but really, for me anyway.. it's more precisely that I feel like I'm watching a slow moving train wreck heading towards the election with Biden as the nominee. I don't believe he's going to be able to consistently go out there and remove this enough as an issue and I don't think he's going to be able to win by mostly hiding away.

If I felt comfortable that Biden could still win I'd feel different about a replacement, but I really do think it's worth the hail mary because I feel like I can just about see how this will go if not (obviously I don't know, but you get what I mean).

I've seen this comment multiple times on this board, and it's not true. The Trump trial was all over the news.

Covered but not covered the same way. The media wasn’t shouting in unison that Trump should withdraw when he was falling asleep in court, or talking about sharks and boat batteries and any of the other many idiotic tangents his minds wanders off to, or alleged to have sexually abused minors and his ongoing interactions with Epstein have now been supported with further evidence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom