First presidential debate (9 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

This is disingenuous. There is never unanimity, but there is a big difference between the calls for Biden to resign from the others cited. I remember thinking the Lewinsky scandal with Clinton was irrelevant, and the chorus to resign wasn't huge, but that was a different time when morals seemed to matter more, so a few people with poor foresight did so. I don't recall any serious calls to replace Obama. There were doubts about Hillary, but there wasn't a huge movement to replace her. All 3 of those were strong and competent leaders that few questioned could continue to lead. The question with Biden is can he lead us for 4 1/2 more years, and they are coming from more serious people with foresight.

This is disingenuous. There is never unanimity, but there is a big difference between the calls for Biden to resign from the others cited. I remember thinking the Lewinsky scandal with Clinton was irrelevant, and the chorus to resign wasn't huge, but that was a different time when morals seemed to matter more, so a few people with poor foresight did so. I don't recall any serious calls to replace Obama. There were doubts about Hillary, but there wasn't a huge movement to replace her. All 3 of those were strong and competent leaders that few questioned could continue to lead. The question with Biden is can he lead us for 4 1/2 more years, and they are coming from more serious people with foresight.

It's also just not the media and this board. There are massive mega donors that are pulling their support for Biden.

People are making excuses and I have no idea why.

His inner circle clearly knew and limited his appearances. That's documented.

This same inner circle apparently never advised against running.

No one needs Joe Biden to beat Donald Trump. He isn't some silver bullet to a werewolf.

Joe Biden is now seen publically as senile. He keeps talking about how he beat Medicare, and traffic congestion as a black woman.

This isn't something small. How can he make rational decisions if he is this confused?

Lastly, this is the second time God/the Universe/whatever is trying to teach the DNP a lesson it doesn't want to learn. RUN A REAL PRIMARY EVERY CYCLE

Edit to add: Just to head off "he has a stutter, he was never a great public speaker, etc" The NYT had an article 3 days ago about his mental decline.

Last edited:
I

I just used many of YOUR words ABOUT ME and removed my name and instead inserted your user name and tweaked it.
Did you NOT notice that? You are telling others what I believe and what I feel.
You said STEVE IS MAGA. Steve feels this. Steve believes this bbut he won't admit it. So I just mocked you by saying @MT15 believes this, etc.
I just gave you a taste of your own medicine. I just held up a mirror so you could see what you did in your post to me.
Yet you didn't get it.
Edited and ready for @MT15 to respond

You might want to stock up on your antidepressants for November.
Oh gee, do you think?

:eek:

I looked into that and I guess there's nothing under the law that I can do about it.

I will have to continue to draw my supply in month by month, in 30 day prescription refill increments like I always have had to do for that prescription.

I will have to depend that drug stores will still be open next November, and that I will be able to go to and from when I have to.

The trailing off, and slurring. He called Trump his colleague. What was he talking about highway congestion for? Why did he say he fixed it?

This is more of the same that we saw at the debate. He seemed confused, and senile.
"he seemed confused and senile."

Interesting that, your statement appears to kind of mirror what the New York Post had to say about the time you posted what appears to be quite similar to theirs.

They have been applying a slurring RW wheeze about Biden's age and mental condition for months, if not years. They focus that abuse on Democrats, but not generally upon Republicans. Your position kind of mirrors what MAGA has been projecting up on Biden for the last four years.

I labeled theirs as being "abuse," I'm going to label your "abuse" of Biden as "abuse" as well. Because it is abuse, elder disrespect and abuse.

Frankly if bothers me as much as someone using the N word.

I’m thinking about this a lot these days. How we actually haven’t seen a media feeding frenzy about anything crazy Trump ever says or does.

I've seen the further left oriented media sourced do feeding frenzies about the Criminal's decline.

I'm about to write the "Stop Biden" crowd off.

I suspect they disliked Biden during the 2020 primary a lot and said similar kinds of things about him back then.

I would imagine there is an underlying intention to get rid of Biden and Harris now, so that they can insert someone further to the left to suit their own desire.

Although I haven't heard anyone mention Bernie as a replacement candidate. Not yet. I don't know if I ought to be surprised by that, or not.

Biden, post-debate, says he doesn't debate like he used to. That 90 minutes does not take away what he's done for 3.5 years. That's totally true! But you are campaigning to run for President for the NEXT 4 years. The fear of a President without aa sound mind that can lead and make decisions going forward is a HUGE concern. If Biden looked and talked like he did in 2019, Trump would be toast. Trump would not have a chance. Unfortunately, Biden is not that man. Father time has clearly had an effect on him.

I'm very seriously worried that THIS Biden will not be able to beat Trump in November. And that is unacceptable. We can't let Trump back into the White House. It's not just short term pain.....it could change this country forever.
What really did it for me is him telling the governors he needs more sleep at night and will stop scheduling events. You're president, Joe. Being available at night is a part of the job. If you can't function 24/7, it's time to call it quits.

The rumors about letters make sense, but I wouldn't fall on a sword about that. It's an aside from my main point, which is that that what politicians say in public often doesn't reflect their true beliefs. That's not a QAnon fantasy nor conspiracy, it is the way politics has always operated. It's not the same as many of the things Trump supporters claim, but you can choose to continue to deny the obvious.
You betcha, I and LA-LA can both continue to support BIden to our dear heart's content. I certainly will. I would think LA-LA will continue in this vein as well.

"Deny the obvious," is what MAGA froths at their forumbs say when I tell them thing about Biden, which are similar to what I am saying to you now.

"he seemed confused and senile."

Interesting that, your statement appears to kind of mirror what the New York Post had to say about the time you posted what appears to be quite similar to theirs.

They have been applying a slurring RW wheeze about Biden's age and mental condition for months, if not years. They focus that abuse on Democrats, but not generally upon Republicans. Your position kind of mirrors what MAGA has been projecting up on Biden for the last four years.

I labeled theirs as being "abuse," I'm going to label your "abuse" of Biden as "abuse" as well. Because it is abuse, elder disrespect and abuse.

Frankly if bothers me as much as someone using the N word.

Oh god, we've reached purity test, and I'm as bad as MAGA because I think a senile old man should have never run, and should drop out.

I want to point something out to the entire board. This speech is from Sept 23 on a trip to Vietnam. There is no excuse for his advisers, and family allowing him to run for reelection.

What really did it for me is him telling the governors he needs more sleep at night and will stop scheduling events. You're president, Joe. Being available at night is a part of the job. If you can't function 24/7, it's time to call it quits.

When you factor in he starts his day at 11am that's pretty bad.

Nice post. Seems reasonable to me. I've been saying for a bit now that the Republicans want Biden to stay in. They won't say it out loud, but they'd rather take their chances vs Biden, even though they despise him. A young, energetic candidate would motivate voters to get to the polls. It would help down ballot as well, IMHO.

Really, imo, the only reason they want Biden out is because they want chaos in the Democratic party. There's no guarantee the party will unite behind another candidate. The DNC can't afford not to, and if they know what's good for them, they'll get behind the candidate who has the best chance of winning, whoever that is.

I don't buy that Biden is better vs Trump than the others. I believe the difference will become clear on election day.

In any case, I won't vote for Trump and will cast my vote for whoever will likely get the most votes against him. It will either be Biden or his replacement.
MAGA has been trying to gaslight us into getting rid of Biden for four long years. I'm like Farb and SFL in that I have memberships in some of their boards thus to debate with them to try to change them if I can.

I don't think they want us to keep Biden in, they want the confusion, with loss for us it would cause for us to change horses in the middle if the stream.

I just used many of YOUR words ABOUT ME and removed my name and instead inserted your user name and tweaked it.
Did you NOT notice that? You are telling others what I believe and what I feel.
You said STEVE IS MAGA. Steve feels this. Steve believes this but he won't admit it. So I just mocked you by saying @MT15 believes this, etc.
I just gave you a taste of your own medicine. I just held up a mirror so you could see what you did in your post to me.
Yet you didn't get it.
You said yourself you will now vote for Trump. That makes you MAGA, or worse because you know how bad Trump is. I never put any words in your mouth. Trump voter = MAGA. I can’t change reality to suit your fantasies.

Come on. You should be better than this. Clearly you aren’t.

Better then attacking the person instead of the substance of their post because you know you can't defend it? I'm better then that person clearly.

My advise is to simply ignore the thread if it bothers you so much. Because the pro-biden side of this argument is quickly devolving into personal insults.

In case anyone wondered what the orange goon thought after the debate (not that it matters, but it’s as you probably thought if interested):

I think Trump is uneasy with the idea of Harris running against him deep down. IMHO if anyone takes over, it’s probably her. I believe I heard there’s $92 million in campaign money that’d be hers if she ran from the Biden campaign (correct if wrong). That’s a decent war chest.

But wouldn’t that mean there’s no VP, and Mike Johnson, ultimate conservacuck, is next in line? I might have heard that wrong so someone can adjust that as true or not.

Anyway, I think Harris running especially against all of the anti-woman rhetoric from the right, could be a solid option IF Biden chooses to step down.

Edit: Biden’s looking good in his Madison, Wisconsin rally right now. I’ve watched most of the speech.

Last edited:
Better then attacking the person instead of the substance of their post because you know you can't defend it? I'm better then that person clearly.
First of all that traffic comment was a joke that I clearly understood in the moment. The fact that you didn’t understand it is not any sort of indication that Biden is senile. That is what is pissing me off here. You’re not being truthful when you imply that he’s senile. And your comment said he keeps saying these things over and over. Each one was one instance. He gets tongue-tied. Maybe it’s worse now. Still not senility.

All of you are taking anonymous sources as gospel. The news editors right now are demanding Biden content from all their reporters. Reporters are scrambling to satisfy their editors. We aren’t getting actual reports from named sources, so a little skepticism is in order. And donors expressing doubts still aren’t first hand accounts.

Look, he’s old. He talks and moves slowly. He has had a great administration. He would beat Trump I feel sure. I’m not sure we can afford the chaos that will come from forcing him to withdraw. If he steps aside and Harris becomes the nominee that’s the best we can hope for in the chaos department. If Harris is passed over, we just elected Trump, imo. If Harris is the top of the ticket that may also elect Trump.

Heathen had a solid post. I can respect his stance. I can’t get behind what you’re doing here. It’s not a freaking “purity test” to point out that you are sounding like MAGA at this point. This talk of senility and some sort of conspiracy to “hide” him is exactly MAGA.

You said yourself you will now vote for Trump. That makes you MAGA, or worse because you know how bad Trump is. I never put any words in your mouth. Trump voter = MAGA. I can’t change reality to suit your fantasies.
I said my goal is to get Biden to drop out so I can resume my pledge not to vote for Trump. I think Biden is receiving so much pressure from your side of the aisle and from the social media....well I think he will ultimately drop out. Thus this Haley supporter will simply return to only voting down ballot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom