First presidential debate (12 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

@MT15 likes to pretend that America and the world is safe with sleepy Joe Biden as the Commander and Chief. She knows full well he's not up to the job!
How is it that you're able to read MT15's mind, to know what she full well knows?

When you say "sleepy Joe Biden" you sound like the Criminal.

4th of July with Biden at the White House, He starts talking about 5 minutes into the video. This is not inspiring confidence.

President Biden sought to steady his re-election campaign by talking with two Black radio hosts for interviews broadcast on Thursday, but he spoke haltingly at points during one interview and struggled to find the right phrase in the other, saying that he was proud to have been “the first Black woman to serve with a Black president.”

This is over. No one asked this 81 year old man to run for a second term.

Last edited:
I think that one of the main barriers to Joe dropping out of the race is the reality that if he isn't fit to run to reelection, he isn't fit to be president right now.

It makes you wonder how much of the Israel situation he really understands. He is polling horribly with anyone under 34 right now, and it's all his own doing.

4th of July with Biden at the White House, He starts talking about 5 minutes into the video. This is not inspiring confidence.

This is over. No one asked this 81 year old man to run for a second term.

I posted video of the same event including that segment, said he looked good and sounded fine.

He sounded fine in this video too.

I posted video of the same event including that segment, said he looked good and sounded fine.

He sounded fine in this video too.

The trailing off, and slurring. He called Trump his colleague. What was he talking about highway congestion for? Why did he say he fixed it?

This is more of the same that we saw at the debate. He seemed confused, and senile.

Last edited:
My mother voted for Trump, but she hates him now. She thinks Joe Biden is a joke. She thinks Democrats are a joke of a party for ever nominating him this time around. She has already decided to leave the president box blank.
When tally votes, that means one less vote for Trump, even if it wasn't for Biden.

What too many people assume without anything to support, including unreliable polling, is that the people who hate Trump are going to vote for Trump because they think Biden is too old.

As long as your mother doesn't vote for Trump again, that's Trump losing vote and Biden not losing any votes, because she hadn't voted for him before. I think most of the "undecideds" and "independents" aren't going to vote for Trump or Biden. I think most of the ones who do are voting principles and not candidates. I think most of them support the principles of Biden and the Democrats more than Trump and the Republicans.

I mean MT15 you ignore polling.
You're ignoring that polling has been inaccurate and unreliable for several election cycles. The inaccuracy consistently overestimates the Republican and more conservative candidates votes while underestimating the Democratic and more progressive candidates.

So of course it's media driven.
Yes, it is media driven more than anything.

There are reportedly letters circulating Congress asking for the president to step down.
There are a lot of things reportedly happening that never actually happen. Wake me up when those letters are made public with people publicly putting their names on it and themselves behind it. By the way, two letters from the two Congress members who have publicly step down could be the only letters. Plural just means more than one.

The NYT just ran a story on what the donors are up to:
You're ignoring that the NYT soured on Biden a long time ago over a dispute in which people's feelings got hurt and they've been portraying Biden in a bad light ever since, and long before the debate last week.

From your own source:
A small but vocal faction of Democratic Party donors is urging President Biden to withdraw from the race, but he has said that he will not be pushed out.Credit...Doug Mills/The New York Times
So they say a small but loud faction.

After several days of quiet griping and hoping that President Biden would abandon his re-election campaign on his own, many wealthy Democratic donors are trying to take matters into their own hands.
Then they say "many" are trying to take matters into their own hands. That means they are being told to pound sand by the majority and instead they're acting like spoiled, petulant little Veruca Salts ranting, "I want it now." Reminds of some people on this board.

The efforts — some coordinated, some conflicting and others still nascent...
It's not even a coordinate effort, because spoiled petulant little brats can't even play nice with each other.

A group of them is working to raise as much as $100 million for a sort of escrow fund, called the Next Generation PAC, that would be used to support a replacement candidate. If Mr. Biden does not step aside, the money could be used to help down-ballot candidates, according to people close to the effort.
Well more money for down ballot races is a good thing and I'm glad some pivot to that if they don't get their way.

Other donors are threatening to withhold contributions not only from Mr. Biden but also from other Democratic groups unless Mr. Biden bows out.
And there it is. Everyting you need to know about the real motives and priorities of some of these donors. They're more concerned about being in control and getting what they want than they are about preserving democracy. If Biden doesn't do what they want, then they're going to take all their money from everyone and go home. You know what, eff em. Let them take their money and go home. We don't need to keep bowing down to these narcissistic spoiled petulant little brats bully and threaten people to get what they want.

That's almost the entirety of the "report," because it's incredibly short and lacking any useful information. Also, the three "reporters" that are credited on the article have never had anything positive to say about Biden. The sources and actual substance of the articel matter way more than the sensational headline. That article had no substance and the sources are heavily biased. They didn't quote anyone about anything. They didn't even use the infamous "sources tell us."

Once again, this board continues to try and gaslight itself.
When it looks like everyone else is being gaslit, you're the one being gaslit.

They are so delusional, and tone deaf it's funny.
Have you looked in a mirror lately, or should I say, do you ever read the sources you quote and listen to the things you say?

What they say in public is not proof of their real thoughts. I believe the rumors that there are letters and plans circulating that includes leadership.
You believe unsupported and vague rumors with no sources over what people tell you directly, but you criticize Trump supporter for doing the same thing.

This board doesn't seem to understand real politics at all. Look at how similar all of the twitter messages from the governors are after the conference call. That's not happenstance.
Of course it's not happenstance. They're putting up this thing called a unified front. No one put a gun to any of those governors' heads and forced them to send out those tweets.

Those governors did that because it's what they wanted to do. They want to be part of putting up a unified front in support of Biden. Those governors after talking to Biden since the debate trust and are behind Biden.

You're gaslighting yourself if you think it means anything else.

It's not really anonymous sources at this point, not amongst the donor class. They are all starting to publicly with hold their funds.
You got a source with names to backup that claim? Because so far none of your claims and the articles you link to actually say what you say they say.

Your loathing for Biden is make you see ghosts.

Hi @J-DONK !
I just got home from multiple days of travel. Would you save me time and take a moment to fill me in please on how the various governors all seem to be similar in their messaging? Thanks in advance!
1720174970248.png

Did you quote me by accident or was there something you wanted to say, Steve.

Attachments

• 1720174957476.png
    1720174957476.png
    419 KB · Views: 2
All that sounds similar because they were given messaging, which is normal.
Yes, it's completely normal and standard.

All of the hopefuls aren't going to break rank on this when Biden is the person who can pick the nominee. In fact, the opposite, most of these people showed up in person to the meeting. Why? To suck up.

Your biases are gaslighting you again J-Donk. From the article, I mean this is just to easy to understand if you would read the entire article:
Fourteen governors were joining the meeting remotely, including Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania, Roy Cooper of North Carolina and Katie Hobbs of Arizona.
Josh Shapiro has been mentioned as a possible replacement to. If you're theory is right, he would have been there to suck up too. You're theory ain't worth the paper is not printed on. Your theory is born solely of the disdain you have for Biden. You're blinded by bias.

They were there or joined remotely for this reason:
Some have said that they saw the meeting as a chance for a frank discussion with Mr. Biden about his health. Mr. Beshear told CNN on Tuesday that the governors wanted to “make sure he’s doing OK.”

And after every Democratic governor had that frank discussion, most have come out in full support of him and none of them have even been reported to think he's not doing OK, as of yet. I'm aware that could change.

Lapaz is correct. There is nothing to really gleam from official party messaging like that.
Except, you just gleamed they were there just to suck up. You can't have it both ways. You can't say "their messages of support tells us nothing," right after proclaiming that those governors being there tells us they want to suck up to him to get his endorsement to replace him.

In fact, if you can read between the lines. The fact that these hopefuls showed up person does say something about what they really think.
And you just did it again. Do you not see what you're doing? You say that what the governors actually say doesn't tell us anything, but if you read between lines of what they haven't said, it tells us they were there to suck up and get Biden's endorsement.

You're gaslighting yourself, big time.

Reed Hasting, Damon Lindeloff, Gideon Stein, Mike Novogratz, etc. You can read that NYT article on it if you are interested.
Please let me know the post number that has the link to that article. I missed that article and can't find it.

Last edited:
The trailing off, and slurring. He called Trump his colleague. What was he talking about highway congestion for? Why did he say he fixed it?

This is more of the same that we saw at the debate. He seemed confused, and senile.
We get it. You want Biden out and you want it NOW!!!!!!!

What was he talking about highway congestion for? Why did he say he fixed it?
He was making a joke - now that he is president he never sees any highway congestion anymore. It must have been fixed. I got that when I listened to it right away.

Honestly, J-Donk, you are seeing what you want to see at this point. You are putting style over function. Yes, he talks haltingly, and isn’t as clear enunciating his words as he used to be. But what he is saying makes sense. The content is fine.

It’s a bit dispiriting to see people get swayed by a media blitz like this. Our side is supposed to be better at spotting these things, but I guess that isn’t reality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom