First presidential debate (19 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

That seems significant.

Also:

Wouldn't any new candidate besides Kamala have to start out at zero with fundraising? That would seem to be a major sticking point.

To start with that report that "Nancy has turned was exagratraded, it was made entirely of warm spit and straw.

Joe Biden isn't going to quit, Harris is his VP. She likes Biden. I like both her and Biden. They are going to win.

The Criminal you like is going to lose.

I think you are in for a great disappointment which will in the end somewhat harm you. I have a kind suggestion, because I do care about all living creatures.

I will recommend Fluoxetine, talk to your doctor. Fluoxetine is the generic name for the name brand PROZAC, which is much more expensive.

It works very well, I use it. I highly recommend the cheap generic for PROZAC to deal with depression. Save money when you can. The generic for Prozac saves lots of money, but works for me, and others, just as well as the name brand.

I have used both, and I think the generic tastes better. They both taste awful. Try to swallow them right away with some water.

You are in my opinion afflicted with depression, it's all over your posts. I can see, feel, and sense it. I don't know if you know that. You'd be a lot happier if you were to deal with it.

If you still have a wife, she'd be happier as well.

I still have my wife, she sure is is a lot happier when I take my Serotonin uptake inhibitor. In other word we, and everyone else on the world gets along much better when I take my Fluoxetine. Consider it.

It's so easy to deal with it, and it's inexpensive. People will like you better if you do deal with it. They certainly like me better when I deal with it.

Almost end of lecture, I will never bring it up again. The last part >>> The solution is cheap, the generic for PROZAC only costs me about 10 cents a day. Talk to your doctor next time you go there. In my considered opinion you are depressed.

Without my "med" I certainly am. But with it, I am not.

Meh. The Dems aren't going to win Ohio regardless. It's not that important. It can wait until Chicago if it means a better process in the end.

I'm not saying that's a good process, if indeed it happens at all. I'm just saying Ohio shouldn't be a sticking point.
I like what you said, but It isn't that he can wait. He can blow it off entirely, and that is what I recommend he do.

Maybe.

Everything is fluid and the truth is that none of us really know for sure what the best way forward is to defeat Trump.
I know that changing the horses which are pulling a wagon when the wagon is is in a the middle of a river is dumb.

My advice to Biden at this point in time is to blow the rest of this off. He has already addressed this as much as it needs to be addressed.

Have him take off tomorrow, it will be hot. He's done enough to adress this bull shirt. It is bull shirt!!!

For what it's worth the betting odds are Biden less then a coin flip to get the nomination. Harris is around 30% and climbing.
It's not worth a damned thing. Betting kind of folks are the most insane stupid folks who exist on this Earth.

I'm smart enough to not waste my hard earned money like that. Always have been, always will be.

Biden already has this nomination, he's won the primary race, and he's the incumbent for crying out loud. There isn't a thing anyone can do about that either.

I'm ridin with Biden and Harris all the way to the end. End of discussion.

To start with that report that "Nancy has turned was exagratraded, it was made entirely of warm spit and straw.

Joe Biden isn't going to quit, Harris is his VP. She likes Biden. I like both her and Biden. They are going to win.

The Criminal you like is going to lose.

I think you are in for a great disappointment which will in the end somewhat harm you. I have a kind suggestion, because I do care about all living creatures.

I will recommend Fluoxetine, talk to your doctor. Fluoxetine is the generic name for the name brand PROZAC, which is much more expensive.

It works very well, I use it. I highly recommend the cheap generic for PROZAC to deal with depression. Save money when you can. The generic for Prozac saves lots of money, but works for me, and others, just as well as the name brand.

I have used both, and I think the generic tastes better. They both taste awful. Try to swallow them right away with some water.

You are in my opinion afflicted with depression, it's all over your posts. I can see, feel, and sense it. I don't know if you know that. You'd be a lot happier if you were to deal with it.

If you still have a wife, she'd be happier as well.

I still have my wife, she sure is is a lot happier when I take my Serotonin uptake inhibitor. In other word we, and everyone else on the world gets along much better when I take my Fluoxetine. Consider it.

It's so easy to deal with it, and it's inexpensive. People will like you better if you do deal with it. They certainly like me better when I deal with it.

Almost end of lecture, I will never bring it up again. The last part >>> The solution is cheap, the generic for PROZAC only costs me about 10 cents a day. Talk to your doctor next time you go there. In my considered opinion you are depressed.

Without my "med" I certainly am. But with it, I am not.
My father is downright nasty, insufferable and miserable when he's not taking fluoxetine.

I'd love a Newsom Kinzinger ticket, but that's a pipe dream. The DNC would never allow it.
Not only would the DNC not allow that, I wouldn't allow that.

Sorry, Kinzinger is not acceptable, nor is Newsom.

Newsome is my Governor, I ought to know. Notice that I misspelled his name on purpose... . For a purpose. He deserves to have his name misspelled.

I don't actually like my Democratic Party Governor. I don't want him to be President of the USA.

I want Biden and Harris. The best way to get rid of him as my Governor of California is not to make him the President of the USA.

Make him a dog, snake, and alligator catcher in your state.

Besides he doesn't even want to try to tackle that Criminal, he's said so. The Criminal's son is sleeping with his ex-wife. They know everything about him including his penis size and shape. They even know how long he performs.

They would even know if his performance lasts less than a minute. Less than 30 seconds. Less than one second. Some men are less than even one second.

Do you actually want to know how long Newsom is. I certainly don't want to know,

:LOL:

They have legal possession of his ex-wife, he's toast if he ever tried to run against that Criminal.

My father is downright nasty, insufferable and miserable when he's not taking fluoxetine.
I know that we can't do it for several reasons, but I would like to put it in the national water supply.

In the world's water supply. Especially in Russia's water supply.

Bull shirt, know that changing the horses in the middle of the stream is is a dumb thing to do.

That’s assuming all horses are able to cross the river

I am not sure if it is a better thing to let Biden keep running and just hope there aren’t any other gaffes or go with a young energetic Democrat, which would also energize the maga base because they could go with the “their best gave up” line. It also could energize a base that has substantively grown less energetic about voting for him a second time around.

This is where I think we just need to admit we’re not in a great situation. We’ll just need to make the best of it.

This is where I think we just need to admit we’re not in a great situation. We’ll just need to make the best of it.

Exactly this but if we don't want to fall to fascism, all we can do is rally around the Democratic ticket. I know that is extremely uninspiring to a lot of people, but we have two visions for our future that couldn't be more different. What the Heritage Foundation wants to do (is doing) to our country is course-changing and will be hard to ever come back from. Trump is a dumb enough pawn to serve their interests.

Last edited:
I think this is a reasoned take from Molly Jong-Fast, hitting on some key points that should be considered.

That Vanity Fair article doesn’t explain the logistical challenges. Other country campaigns last less than 2 months, and we have more than 4, so it is not too late. The article says the FEC may not allow money to be transferred, but doesn’t mention that Harris wouldn’t have that problem. I’ve come to the conclusion that Harris should lead the ticket anyway, because she would face the fewest challenges. I think there are better candidates that may not be viable at this point, but it doesn’t matter, because I think she would win.

It states that he was selected by the states, but he didn’t have any serious competition, since he seemed to be healthy and had done a good job. However I thought this was imminent, but the party loyalty prevailed. A more youthful perception of an 82 year old Biden would win, but he is not changing perceptions with his actions. That adds to the perception that he is not capable. In this case, I think perception is reality. Now they’re building up the importance of the George Step interview, which could make matters worse again, but it’s doubtful that it will make much difference alone. He would have to be out giving unscripted interviews and press conferences frequently, but onesy interviews. I doubt he is capable, so the party needs to make a change for the good of the country.

I know and I hope it’s accurate and holds. It’s all a non-issue for me since I’m voting for the Dem ticket, regardless. But apart from that, I like Harris and think she’s capable. I do worry that it’s like the backup QB being the most popular player on a team with a struggling starter. We won’t know what we really need to know until a change is made and a new candidate hits the campaign trail.
That’s an interesting QB analogy always seemingly thought to be better. I think that analogy works for a QB that got a concussion and still seems affected.

I think Trump would beat Harris. The Dems are in a pickle. The higher ups in the Democratic Party are to blame for all of this. If Biden had a 20% chance of falling on his face at the debate (it was likely greater than 20% chance), they never should've agreed to debate. Hide Biden for 4 months and take down Trump. They took a chance and probably cost them the election.

A week has gone by and I still say there is no way Biden recovers from that disaster.

I think Trump would beat Harris. The Dems are in a pickle. The higher ups in the Democratic Party are to blame for all of this. If Biden had a 20% chance of falling on his face at the debate (it was likely greater than 20% chance), they never should've agreed to debate. Hide Biden for 4 months and take down Trump. They took a chance and probably cost them the election.

A week has gone by and I still say there is no way Biden recovers from that disaster.
thats the thing though.

They didn't agree to it - they asked for it. They pushed hard for it.

They made this bed.

I have no idea what the conversation is behind the door but if Biden is going to be the nominee, he needs to be out and in the public every week and giving press conferences, etc.

Hiding him now does the opposite - his die is cast as too old. That mold and the old strategy need to change and change quickly.

He needs to be live in front of crowds and interviews as often as they can get.

And if he can't do that, then he needs to step aside.

Maybe, but I think people are eulogizing Democrats way too early, and ignoring that the guy on the other side has been a bumbling rambling mess for a long time. The problem right now is that attention is so hyperfocused on Biden's wellbeing that Trump is allowed to operate virtually unscathed.

The real story line here should be that neither candidate should be in the race but one of them is a decent man who isn't telling us that he and his sycophants are going to attack our democracy, force Christofascim on everybody, and harm people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom