First presidential debate (15 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Dennis Zogby, an at large member of the DNC, submitted this proposal to the Chair for a nomination process if Biden steps aside.

Basically, starting on Monday. a two week period for candidates to get their packages together and gather the signatures etc. Followed by a month long, supercharged campaigning period for the qualified candidates; including two prime time debates, all before an open convention. Harris is obviously allowed to participate but not given the nomination.

In my opinion, if the decision is made to go a different direction, this is a doable plan that could work against a damaged candidate like Trump. It allows for a real selection process and the attacks can be lobbed at Trump during live and heavily watched debates.

If Biden steps aside, I am on board with this.

I recognize LA-LA's repeated points about the logistical/monetary hurdles with picking a new candidate. It's going to be risky, and messy.

But it could also generate excitement in a race where so many people are disenchanted with a rematch of 2020. Biden didn't do anything to assuage voters' age concerns in that debate, and hasn't done anything to control the damage in the several days since, which only reinforces the perception.

I said before and will say again that the number of voters who don't like Trump is enough to win IF we can get them. Above all, we need someone who is capable of arguing why Trump would be so dangerous, and Biden just couldn't do it - and maybe can't. I'm warming up to the idea of Biden resigning so Harris can become President until the election. At this point, a lot of people are going to assume she would become President during a second Biden term, so we may as well make her front and center now.

But an open competition process would be better. If Harris wins she will have earned it. But everyone is going to be paying attention to it, and all the candidates will get national exposure during the process. That could offset any fundraising deficit, and I truly believe that "on the fence voters" won't need that much to vote for a Trump alternative.

I think any of them are better then Biden right now:

Harris, Newsom, Warnock, Whitmer, Shapiro, Beshear, even Buttigieg

The only one I have serious serous reservations about on that list is Buttigieg because of his lack of winning even a state race.

Democrats have an insanely deep bench. It's part of the reason why party insiders are so pissed. No one was begging Biden to run for a 2nd term.

Thanks.

I’m not nearly as confident about a change but acknowledge the concerns about Biden. There are younger candidates I like for the future but Harris is the only one I can see mounting a serious campaign given financial circumstances.

Biden isn't going to be replaced. Obviously he should have never run again.... he failed grooming a successor. However, there is no obvious pick after him, and any attempt to replace him at convention without a clear consensus would be a disaster. The only way they can do it is with a clear unanimous choice and Joe Biden and Kamala Harris' enthusiastic blessing...which will never happen.

Biden is the pick and we have to live with that.

On a slightly related note, it really is interesting to see the difference in the electorate....

Trump supporters -- candidate gets convicted of a felony, hears from his former chief of staff that he called troops suckers, is found liable for rape, calls for retribution, rambles on about sharks and electricity, is named in the Epstein documents as having paid to watch 12 year old girls commit sex acts for his viewing pleasure, praise dictators --- yawn, no big deal

Biden supporters -- mumbles incoherently for 30 minutes before picking up steam -- oh my god we must abandon ship!

I mean it's good to be a part of a cult of personality... but...

Biden isn't going to be replaced. Obviously he should have never run again.... he failed grooming a successor. However, there is no obvious pick after him, and any attempt to replace him at convention without a clear consensus would be a disaster. The only way they can do it is with a clear unanimous choice and Joe Biden and Kamala Harris' enthusiastic blessing...which will never happen.

On a slightly related note, it really is interesting to see the difference in the electorate....

Trump supporters -- candidate gets convicted of a felony, hears from his former chief of staff that he called troops suckers, is found liable for rape, calls for retribution, rambles on about sharks and electricity, is named in the Epstein documents as having paid to watch 12 year old girls commit sex acts for his viewing pleasure, praise dictators --- yawn, no big deal

Biden supporters -- mumbles incoherently for 30 minutes before picking up steam -- oh my god we must abandon ship!

Holy ****. I saw a comment about the Epstein documents involving the 12 year olds but honestly thought it was misinformation because I hadn’t heard that anywhere I’d consider credible.

If that’s legitimate, and our nation has spent the past week blasting Biden, we might actually be ****** as a country.

Based on the recent S.C. decision, maybe the best thing would be for Biden to order U.S. special ops to assassinate Trump as part of his "official conduct" to protect our country. Obviously no other institutions or "guardrails" are doing the job, and it would be reckless to leave to voters. "Official conduct" - let's go with that.

Holy ****. I saw a comment about the Epstein documents involving the 12 year olds but honestly thought it was misinformation because I hadn’t heard that anywhere I’d consider credible.

If that’s legitimate, and our nation has spent the past week blasting Biden, we might actually be ****** as a country.
    We are pretty much ******. I spent time this past weekend having to explain to two different social groups why J6 is actually different from the BLM protests.

It's legitimate in that he is in the grand jury documents just released. He was a regular client of Epsteins massage service.

Last edited:
    I think any of them are better then Biden right now:

Harris, Newsom, Warnock, Whitmer, Shapiro, Beshear, even Buttigieg

The only one I have serious serous reservations about on that list is Buttigieg because of his lack of winning even a state race.

Democrats have an insanely deep bench. It's part of the reason why party insiders are so pissed. No one was begging Biden to run for a 2nd term.
    The only possibility on that list is Harris, and that’s only if Joe decides to step aside.

I mean, I get that you guys want someone younger. I would have been fine with it too, earlier in the cycle. But now is too late. It just is. Biden’s admin has done a really good job under very difficult circumstances.

We don’t need excitement and a crapshoot this election. Stay the course, IMO. Unless Joe walks away. And then I don’t see any way where Harris isn’t the nominee. She will have the money, and to side step her would be terrible optics. She can pick a VP from that deep bench.

Last edited:

I want to hear more about this as well. I missed that somehow.

Biden isn't going to be replaced against his will, but he could voluntarily resign and give Harris a shot at both being President for a few months and defeating Trump. And really, defeating Trump is the only thing that matters.

It's legitimate in that he is in the grand jury documents just released. He was a regular client of Epsteins massage service.

I knew there were connections and heard about the messages from Trump that were in the document release, but assumed the details were being embellished since I wasn’t seeing media coverage.

Shameful.

I’ll admit that a lot of what is bothering me the last few days is that we’re tearing apart a good man because we’re so afraid of a bad one who keeps proving to be untouchable. It’s all disgusting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom