First presidential debate (19 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

It's legitimate in that he is in the grand jury documents just released. He was a regular client of Epsteins massage service.
I read an article in The Independent, which is the only article I’ve seen. One of the victims testified to Trump’s use of Epstein’s girls. She also was in fear for her life at the time, and made up a story that she had tapes of several prominent men with the girls (not Trump). Later she admitted she made up the story about the tapes as an insurance policy against being murdered, and Captain Underpants led a legal effort to discredit all of her testimony, even though she only recanted the bit about having tapes.

So every MAGA bot in the comments was yelling that she is discredited. This guy was an insider with Trump’s business for years during the Apprentice. I think he’s credible.

I read an article in The Independent, which is the only article I’ve seen. One of the victims testified to Trump’s use of Epstein’s girls. She also was in fear for her life at the time, and made up a story that she had tapes of several prominent men with the girls (not Trump). Later she admitted she made up the story about the tapes as an insurance policy against being murdered, and Captain Underpants led a legal effort to discredit all of her testimony, even though she only recanted the bit about having tapes.

So every MAGA bot in the comments was yelling that she is discredited. This guy was an insider with Trump’s business for years during the Apprentice. I think he’s credible.

And the MAGA Pizzagate drones are silent.

We are pretty much ******. I spent time this past weekend having to explain to two different social groups why J6 is actually different from the BLM protests.

Yeah, it’s an absurd comparison and the people who make it are admitting they don’t have any understanding of either one.

We are pretty much ******. I spent time this past weekend having to explain to two different social groups why J6 is actually different from the BLM protests.
But could you get through to any of them? Our two here cannot fathom the difference. Maybe you had better luck?

Trump supporters won't care even if they knew. They would just find a way to rationalize and/or dismiss it with the help of their preferred propaganda sources.

In Stephen King's "The Dead Zone," a presidential hopeful who would have destroyed the world if elected has his future destroyed because he tried to used a child as a human shield during an assassination attempt. King wasn't able to imagine today's Republican voters.

Both from the same state. I don’t know how to get around it, but it would have to be dealt with. Same reason people don’t think Rubio has any chance of being the VP pick now that Trump changed his residency to FL.
Thanks for catching my glaring oversight. I completely overlooked that President and VP can't be from same state. I don't think Harris or Newsom would even try to get around it, so that ticket is definitely not happening.

I always know I'm not infallible or perfect, because of moments I have just like this. Hold on...wait a minute...I didn't die, my life hasn't fallen apart and the world hasn't been shattered. Hmmm, I guess admitting to making mistakes isn't so devastating after all.

Last edited:

I woke up from a stirring dream last night that I can only recall a vague sense of a historical triumph for all of humanity over Trump. I can't recall the details of what lead to the triumph just that something happened to Trump in September. I remember that it was in Sept because everyone across the planet was signing Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends as a victory song.

I often have dreams that seem like I'm creating a movie to watch while I sleep. I think that's what last nights dream was, but fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe, this dream had a touch of premonition to it.

George will be respectful and fair, but also tough. I think Biden will do well, because he apparently did well enough in private conversations with Democratic governors for them to unconditionally endorse and support him. That's not a prediction and am aware that he may not do well in it.

Or maybe Biden just said, "I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse, because presidents can do that kind of thing now." For the intentionally obtuse, my previous sentence is purely satire completely devoid of any sincerity and in now way grounded in any reality or alternate reality.

The one thing that I seriously considered is that maybe waiting until the end of the week is the use of the tactic of feigning weakness were one is strong. It's something Sun Tzu recommends in The Art of War. It's kind of the opposite of a strawman or sandbagging.

You intentionally lure people into arguing against a line of argument, or attacking you, were you are strong by tricking them into thinking you are weak and vulnerable there.

I don't think Biden faked his debate performance, but I could see letting the media and public feeding frenzy continue to the end of the week while he focused on giving assurances in private meetings. If Biden does well in the interview, it's going to suck a lot of oxygen out of the harping on his age for a while. Maybe just in time for a media and public feeding frenzy on the allegatoins against Trump coming out of the Epstein grand jury.

Remember when Trump and his troops were constantly yelling about the false story that Biden showered with is daughter? Every accusation from Trump and his troops are made because we found out Trump was guilty of the accusations he's making, or because Trump knows the public is about to find out he's guilty of it.

Looking back at in now, I think Trump and his troops started making those false accusations about Biden, because Trump new that people were going to find out about how he sexually preyed on young girls with Epstein's help.

Last edited:
Whow, what am I, chopped liver??? You've been in the Criminal's gaslight for way too long.

I'm of the rooting tooting "pro-Biden vote." I voted for him in the 2020 primary, after my first pick Kamala Harris dropped out.

That worked out real well, I got both my first and second picks all in one in the end.

I know a whole bunch of folks who also are very much pro-Biden. The majority core, the base, of our party are pro-Biden. It's the 10 to 15 percent of the more far left oriented folks who often vote with our party, who appear to be the bulk of the anti-Criminal voters.

Hey well thats good to know that you guys exist. I come here to learn also, not just rant :)

That said, I think your characterization of the Anti-Trump voter is way too narrow. The anti-Trump voter is probably one of the most broad coalitions of voters ever assembled. Unfortunately Trump has also cobbled together a broad coalition of weirdos, shut-ins, and conspiracy theorists that never used to vote, to make up for the centrists and respectable conservatives that Trump forced out of the Republican party.

I think the issue here is the younger voters who I would categorize more as anti-establishment than far left, who need someone to give them a reason to vote. It used to be that the democrats were the young chill party while the republicans were hand-wringing over drugs, religion, and fiscal responsibility. Now the republicans have softened their stance on at least two of those issues, while its the octegenarian democrats scolding everyone about vaccines, gender issues, and carbon footprints. There is just no voter enthusiasm for this current democratic party of skeletons like Biden, Pelosi and Schumer among the folks who need to be convinced to get out and vote in the first place.

I woke up from a stirring dream last night that I can only recall a vague sense of a historical triumph for all of humanity over Trump. I can't recall the details of what lead to the triumph just that something happened to Trump in September. I remember that it was in Sept because everyone across the planet was signing Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends as a victory song.

I often have dreams that seem like I'm creating a movie to watch while I sleep. I think that's what last nights dream was, but fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe, this dream had a touch of premonition to it.
I actually wake up every day hoping to hear Trump died.

“It sure seems they want Biden to stay on the ticket. They think he’s vulnerable, and they like where they’re at. You can see they are not excited at all about the prospect of him leaving the race,” said David Axelrod, a longtime top strategist to Barack Obama.

Trump advisers were privately stunned at how poorly Biden performed, believing he would be a stronger debater, people familiar with the matter said.

Taylor Budowich, who leads Trump’s outside political action committee, said the clips from Thursday’s debate “would make for devastating campaign commercials.” But Budowich also said that Harris being the nominee “has the ad team cackling with excitement.”

On Wednesday the PAC, known as MAGA Inc., circulated an attack on Harris headlined, “Is Invasion Czar Kamala Harris the Best They Got?”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom