First presidential debate (9 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

My opinions here are really mostly based upon how I think things will be received by voters.. I could be wrong but I just think the side by side contrast here between Biden and Trump plays to Trump's advantage with people who haven't already decided who they're voting for.

Will it amount to making a difference in the end? I don't know but I don't think there's much to take out of tonight as a positive for Biden. He didn't fall flat on his face so there's that I guess but.. you need more than that, especially when up there with Trump.
The only thing that will be remembered is what we see over and over. What happens tonight will not have much influence on voting.

Last edited:
Biden is impossible to watch. He....is....too...old!
Then why do you keep watching and thanks for finally being honest that you are anti-Biden. You are not anti-biden and Trump. You are shilling for Trump because you want Trump to win, no matter what you say.

You're actions, what you choose to say about who, speak louder than any of your denials.

“The whole country is exploding.” Trump…..lol.

Trump sounds better but makes less sense than Biden. Biden sounds terrible but more coherent.

Definitely agree here, although I suspect CNN didn't have a choice but to agree to the parameters Trump set for the debate. I doubt this is what CNN wanted to do. They've had different formats before.
CNN had a choice. They choice to sacrifice everything for ratings. They actively sought out hosting this debate, the two campaigns did not come to them.

Finally people are admitting what I have been saying for years.
Finally you reveal your true colors and intentions.

Even though you said you were done with this topic and this board, you jumped back in as soon as you thought you could sow anti-Biden sentiment. You're as transparent as the vacuum of space.

Biden was free to fact check Trump. He’s just not capable.
Biden's been doing it all night and shown that he's more than capable. The format doesn't allow him to go into detail on every lie that Trump tells. By the way, Trump is way over 50 lies told and he still has more time.

Biden's been doing it all night and shown that he's more than capable. The format doesn't allow him to go into detail on every lie that Trump tells. By the way, Trump is way over 50 lies told and he still has more time.

Biden apologists are as transparent as Trump apologists.

This was a disaster.

You bemoan people voting on image while at the same time saying Biden is terrible candidate base on image.
Where did I bemoan people voting on image? I mean, image is part of it, substance is more important, but there are all kinds of factors that go into how people vote. Biden looked terrible tonight. That doesn't mean he'll lose, but it's something to be concerned about.
The people who run the DNC and the RNC only do what the voters let them do.
Actually, that's not entirely true. They definitely influence who people vote. They make the rules for their caucuses and will throw their weight around to get people to back a candidate they want. People like to think they're supposed to be neutral, but they're absolutely not neutral.
This is probably the biggest reason our society is on the verge of collapase, everyone blames everyone else. Voters blame the politicians they vote for.
It's called being accountable. We're all part of it, the people, the 2 parties, the country, the states, the politicians, all of it.

Then why do you keep watching and thanks for finally being honest that you are anti-Biden. You are not anti-biden and Trump. You are shilling for Trump because you want Trump to win, no matter what you say.

You're actions, what you choose to say about who, speak louder than any of your denials.
I have been consistent that Biden is too old. Nothing new to see here. Of course since the only other choice is Trump I hope Trump wins because Biden is too old. I bet there will be so many news articles...internet articles tomorrow about what I have been saying for years. Biden is too old!

Biden apologists are as transparent as Trump apologists.

This was a disaster.

Terrible performance by a 80+ candidate with a cold that had him stuttering more than normal.

Trump can’t answer important questions. Trump wins on appearance while Biden wins on content.

CNN had a choice. They choice to sacrifice everything for ratings. They actively sought out hosting this debate, the two campaigns did not come to them.
I get that they could have just not hosted a debate. But surely, if you're CNN, you're gonna do it regardless. And fwiw, as bad as they were, a debate at this stage needed to happen before the conventions. The parties will have an idea what's coming at the conventions. I don't think the DNC is gonna try to convince Biden to drop out, but it's worth having that conversation imo.

Time for the Democrats to call in a relief candidate. As for the Republicans, letting Trump lose is a necessary evil in order to right that titanic.

I believe that most of us who have said that we think Biden is too old in here have been saying it for a while now.
Good for you guys....yet I am gonna be bold and claim on here that I was the strongest most consistent poster on that topic. Now I am stuck with the terrible position of hoping Trump will win. It should have been that GOP folks voted for Haley. It should have been that Democratic folks chose a day ...and packed the National Mall and chanted :"We want someone else". ...and "Thank you Mr President for beating Trump...but it's time to step aside ". Yet Democrats let me down...Republicans let me down. My fellow citizens are such a disappointment. So don't talk about shilling. I am not shilling...I am stating tonight what the media stories will say tomorrow. Loser...annoying...criminal Trump has to win...because Biden is too old.

Hopefully this doesn’t affect voter turnout. Low turnout is good for the Orange felon.
If the Democrats run Biden (and Trump wins), then that’s on them for running an uninspiring candidate, and they are as guilty for the direction of this country as the Trump voters they are cursing

Hopefully this doesn’t affect voter turnout. Low turnout is good for the Orange felon.
How could this not effect voter turn out? .....or how could a majority of Americans vote for Biden? ....and why didn't important power brokers see this coming and push him out?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom