First presidential debate (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Good for you guys....yet I am gonna be bold and claim on here that I was the strongest most consistent poster on that topic. Now I am stuck with the terrible position of hoping Trump will win. It should have been that GOP folks voted for Haley. It should have been that Democratic folks chose a day ...and packed the National Mall and chanted :"We want someone else". ...and "Thank you Mr President for beating Trump...but it's time to step aside ". Yet Democrats let me down...Republicans let me down. My fellow citizens are such a disappointment. So don't talk about shilling. I am not shilling...I am stating tonight what the media stories will say tomorrow. Loser...annoying...criminal Trump has to win...because Biden is too old.

The structure and policy around a President is just as important as the person. Trump and his people would be a disaster, again.

I get that they could have just not hosted a debate. But surely, if you're CNN, you're gonna do it regardless. And fwiw, as bad as they were, a debate at this stage needed to happen before the conventions. The parties will have an idea what's coming at the conventions. I don't think the DNC is gonna try to convince Biden to drop out, but it's worth having that conversation imo.
    If Biden drops out, Trump wins. End of story. The idea that they can switch to someone else and win is a pipe dream. It's not possible.

Harris is the only one that could possibly use the campaign funds they've received and you can bet your bottom dollar there would be a ton of litigation to keep her from being able to use the funds. That combined with the fact she's a woman who isn't white means she has no chance of winning.

Nobody else has setup all of the things necessary to run a campaign. That stuff takes a lot of time and you can't win without it. The entire Biden campaign and volunteer staffs aren't just going to start working for a replacement.

Riddle me this, if Trump and Republicans are so cocksure that Trump will beat Biden, why are they so desperately trying to get him to drop out of the race?

The structure and policy around a President is just as important as the person. Trump and his people would be a disaster, again.
    Your first sentence can be true, until China invades Taiwan, or extremists do something evil on our soil...etc., etc. I rather have Trump in the situation room. Wouldn't you?

Time for the Democrats to call in a relief candidate. As for the Republicans, letting Trump lose is a necessary evil in order to right that titanic.
    If Trump and Republicans are so cocksure that Trump will beat Biden, why do they so desperately want him to drop out?

You're not stuck with that. You have a choice and that's clearly your choice. I've believed that was your choice all along, so I call complete and total udder BS.
    You and the zero people who agree with you. You are consistent also. I am consistently anti Biden....and you are consistently anti Steve. Loser!

If the Democrats run Biden (and Trump wins), then that’s on them for running an uninspiring candidate, and they are as guilty for the direction of this country as the Trump voters they are cursing
    Wow. What a tell and pivot all in one statement.

Tell me you're voting for Trump and I blame you for him winning and the dark direction you know he will take the country in, without telling me that you're voting for Trump and I blame you for him winning and the dark direction you know he will take the country in.

Wow. What a tell and pivot all in one statement.

Tell me you're voting for Trump and I blame you for him winning and the dark direction you know he will take the country in, without telling me that you're voting for Trump and I blame you for him winning and the dark direction you know he will take the country in.
    I washed my hands of these two candidates long ago. This isn’t on me

Terrible performance by a 80+ candidate with a cold that had him stuttering more than normal.

Trump can’t answer important questions. Trump wins on appearance while Biden wins on content.
    Moderate/undecided voters do tend to care more about content, answering important, difficult questions whereas partisan voters tend to think “their candidate” does great regardless of whether they’d spewed bullshirt all night long.

Trump had more energy, charisma, generalized “riffing” on-stage but did he actually give good, solid, coherent answers that while his 81-year old opponent with a bad cold and a raspy throat, did a far better job of giving concise, complete answers to abortion, Ukraine, the threat posed from Putin.

How can anyone say that Trump won this debate if he was lying and rambling throughout the entire debate itself just with a lot more vigor?

If I’m Biden, I own the fact that I had a cold which affected his throat but even then and there, I was infinitely more honest with the American public and concise when asked about policy questions or issues. Trump actually didn’t answer a few of the issues prompted to him and I point out where, how many times he lied during the debate. You can still win over a lot of moderate/undecided voters that way.

Biden apologists are as transparent as Trump apologists.

This was a disaster.
    Angrily little boys who cry wolf are angry little boys who cry wolf.

This debate will have very little influence on the election. What happens in October and in the first four days of November will be what determines the outcome of the election.

How could this not effect voter turn out?
    Because what happens in October and the first four days of November will be what affects voting more than anything, especially this debate.

Have you guys no knowledge of campaign history? There is a term "October surprise" for a reason.

Your first sentence can be true, until China invades Taiwan, or extremists do something evil on our soil...etc., etc. I rather have Trump in the situation room. Wouldn't you?
    No, a million times no. If either of those happen, Biden's administration would deal with it infinitely better than Trump's.

You do realize that neither Biden or Trump is going to be on the front lines fighting, don't you? You do realize that in that situation a wise president relies heavily on the advice of his military, intelligence and diplomatic advisors, don't you? You do realize that Biden can be trusted a lot more than Trump to listen to his advisors, don't you?

I think Kamala vs Newsom splits Dems. That could have been the worry. I don’t think Kamala gives up the “I put in the time” even if she isn’t electable.
    Newsome will want to choose his own VP, but I wonder if Kamala would accept the VP again?

You and the zero people who agree with you.
    First of all, I don't need people to agree with me to speak honestly, do you?

Second, I've already gotten a couple of thumbs up, so there are people who obviously agree with me.

Third, funny how you don't deny or refute that voting for Trump was your choice all along. Nope. You just say "nana nana boo boo non one agrees with you."

Everyone sees you for who you are now, whatever your name actually is, and I always have.

Please keep the personal name calling coming. It just shows more of who you really are and what you're really all about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom