First presidential debate (20 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Put both of them out to pasture. Just flush it:

One is a legendary piece of shirt who probably borders on evil and the other is most clearly not up to the rigors of being the most powerful person in the world.

It's still a very obvious choice to me between the two of them, but still, fork this shirt.

To true.

If Biden's biggest selling point are the people surrounding him, it seems the case has been made for why the Democrats could dump Biden and have a strong chance to win.

I didn’t watch the debate I was out at dinner and am just now reading this thread but I will say this

If Trump was the one who completely shirt the bed there is zero chance that Fox, Newsmax etc., have the same reaction I just saw on CNN

“Should he step aside? Should he resign? Should he be replaced? Should the 25th amendment be used?” Did Trump just win the presidency?”

Say what you want about Fox, but Trump’s their guy and they are ride or die

Last edited:
    This was a disappointing debate. Biden seems too old, but I didn't realize he was sick until I read all this here. He's at least answering the questions for the most part. He has a better understanding of how things work. Trump talks in circles with nonsense. It 'sounds good' if you're too stupid to critically think about anything. He's got energy, but he just doesn't make sense 90% of the time. He just gets a good zinger in here and there.
    The thing is.. I'm pretty sure it's mostly just stupid no-nothings who are left as undecideds.

And if you're forking stupid like that and happened to tune in tonight.. I think you probably saw Trump dominate.

If Biden drops out, Trump wins. End of story.
    I completely disagree.
    The idea that they can switch to someone else and win is a pipe dream. It's not possible.
    Says who? I do understand it would be an uphill battle, and if it were after the convention i would agree its impossible. But they conceivably could get someone else and win.

I mean, i dont wish for it to happen, but suppose Biden croaked tomorrow? You think there would be no way a new candidate would be able to run and win?
    Harris is the only one that could possibly use the campaign funds they've received and you can bet your bottom dollar there would be a ton of litigation to keep her from being able to use the funds. That combined with the fact she's a woman who isn't white means she has no chance of winning.
    I highly doubt Harris would be a viable candidate. There are others out there though.
    Nobody else has setup all of the things necessary to run a campaign. That stuff takes a lot of time and you can't win without it. The entire Biden campaign and volunteer staffs aren't just going to start working for a replacement.
    If Biden drops out, they're likely going to work and run with another Democratic candidate. They aren't going to just up and stop campaigning for someone. It won't be all of them, clearly, but I think a high percentage will work for whoever Biden and the DNC endorses.
    Riddle me this, if Trump and Republicans are so cocksure that Trump will beat Biden, why are they so desperately trying to get him to drop out of the race?
    They're doing that because they like chaos. They think it will help them if the Democrats are wavering. And no one accuses them of being smart. They don't know what's good for them.

Last edited:
    I didn’t watch the debate I was out at dinner and am just now reading this thread but I will say this

If Trump was the one who completely shirt the bed the is zero chance that Fox, Newsmax etc., have the same reaction I just saw on CNN

“Should he step aside? Should he resign? Should the 25th amendment be used?” Did Trump just win the presidency?”

Say what you want about Fox, but Trump’s their guy and they are ride or die
    I just heard Van Jones and Fifty Shades of Whay tweet that Biden had to go. Fox could never.

Imo, Biden had 3 boxes he needed to check tonight. Allay the concerns over energy and aptitude, take Trump to the cleaners on abortion and remind everyone about the gap in Presidential decorum.

He not only failed at all 3, he failed miserably. Bombed. Those first 5 -15 minutes was a death nail for aptitude. I've dealt with two grandfathers who suffered from Alzheimer's and dementia. Watching a strong, sharp mind decline can be horrific and I had that feeling tonight. Like paw paw saying he is going drive down to the Piggly Wiggly and you are afraid if he can make it there and back safely. We needed State of the Union Joe and we got nursing home Joe. It can't be overstated how painful it was to watch that.

Abortion is the issue for Democrats. A debate is a chance to explain policy to the layman. These aren't political scientists tuning in. You can't just know policy, you gotta be able to articulate policy in a way voters can understand. Trump made his obvious defense to overturning Roe, I wanted to hand it to the States. You have to clean his clock on that. Biden actually posited a great rebuttal. Turning women's reproductive rights to States is like turning civil rights to States. Great premise! Every minority and member of a marginalized group can immediately empathize with that. No person of color wants Louisiana making decisions on civil rights. Some things need federal protection. Lean into that! He didn't. Stammered about people raping each other and shirt.

The last one is the layup. No matter what you think of my policy opinions, this guy is unfit to be President. When Trumo starts saying how poor you are at golf, that is a walk in touchdown to rebut. You're damn right you are better than me at golf, you spent your entire Presidency golfing while Americans were dying in a pandemic. I don't have time to golf, I'm busy running a country and cleaning up your mess while you perfected your golf shot. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to golf when I beat your arse in November, well if you aren't in jail. Like cmon, you don't start arguing with him over handicaps.

Just bad shirt. We are cooked as a country.

Imo, Biden had 3 boxes he needed to check tonight. Allay the concerns over energy and aptitude, take Trump to the cleaners on abortion and remind everyone about the gap in Presidential decorum.

He not only failed at all 3, he failed miserably. Bombed. Those first 5 -15 minutes was a death nail for aptitude. I've dealt with two grandfathers who suffered from Alzheimer's and dementia. Watching a strong, sharp mind decline can be horrific and I had that feeling tonight. Like paw paw saying he is going drive down to the Piggly Wiggly and you are afraid if he can make it there and back safely. We needed State of the Union Joe and we got nursing home Joe. It can't be overstated how painful it was to watch that.

Abortion is the issue for Democrats. A debate is a chance to explain policy to the layman. These aren't political scientists tuning in. You can't just know policy, you gotta be able to articulate policy in a way voters can understand. Trump made his obvious defense to overturning Roe, I wanted to hand it to the States. You have to clean his clock on that. Biden actually posited a great rebuttal. Turning women's reproductive rights to States is like turning civil rights to States. Great premise! Every minority and member of a marginalized group can immediately empathize with that. No person of color wants Louisiana making decisions on civil rights. Some things need federal protection. Lean into that! He didn't. Stammered about people raping each other and shirt.

The last one is the layup. No matter what you think of my policy opinions, this guy is unfit to be President. When Trumo starts saying how poor you are at golf, that is a walk in touchdown to rebut. You're damn right you are better than me at golf, you spent your entire Presidency golfing while Americans were dying in a pandemic. I don't have time to golf, I'm busy running a country and cleaning up your mess while you perfected your golf shot. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to golf when I beat your arse in November, well if you aren't in jail. Like cmon, you don't start arguing with him over handicaps.

Just bad shirt. We are cooked as a country.
    Yeah, that whole golf exchange was downright embarrassing. Biden handled that about as bad as someone could possibly handle it. No one gives a shirt about your handicap Joe. Tell me how you'll run the country over the next 4 years.

100% agree with your take.

CNN flash poll: Trump won debate 67-33%, 57% have no real confidence in Biden leading the country vs. 44% for Trump.

There's always talk about how the incumbent does poorly in the first debate. I turned it off, but from everything I'm seeing here and elsewhere, this was far worse. I voted for Joe in 2020. I'd vote for him again with no other option. But he really needs to consider stepping aside.

I miss the good old days when we had guys like Obama debating Mitt Romney. The good old days...12 years ago.
    Truly, truly didn't know how good we all had it.. even if you hated one or the other back then, in retrospect..
    not_bad_7051.jpg

Biden can’t win. Michelle Obama is the only one that can beat Trump now.

Not true at all. These guys are the two worst presidential candidates we've ever had (well, 2024 Biden might be fourth worst after 2024, 2020, 2016 Trump.) They are the only two people in the world that could lose to the other guy. Everyone is exhausted with both of them.
    You guys don't understand the monumental logistical challenge of running a successful presidential campaign. It's too late for anyone else to step in and win. Harris would have the best chance and she's got three things going heavily against her:

1. She will be legitigated to hell and back to prevent her from using the money the Biden campaign has raised.

2. She's a woman.

3. She's not white.

I would vote for her, but the majority of voters would not.
    To be clear I am supportive of Biden's presidency to this point, but he is just an awful candidate. We need to stop covering for him.
    It's not about covering for him, it's about being grounded in reality. There is no magic wand that can be waved to replace Biden this late in the game with anyone who would have a better chance of winning.

It's an unhinged from reality wish/fantasy. It's not a realistic option.

So people's problem is that independent voters don't have confidence in Biden, because of how he appears in a debate. So suddenly those same voters are going to have confidence in the second string guy they pull off of the bench.

People are not thinking this through. This is as accurate as the analogy of not changing a horse midstream gets to reality. Your horse may be struggling, but if you try to switch horses while fighting the currents, your going to drown.

I honestly expect the 25th to be invoked before the convention takes place. Cold or not, that President up there has seen better days, and he needs to be put out to pasture for the good of this nation.
    That's more true of Trump than Biden. Government has been function under Biden. It was completely broken under Trump and he's promised and gearing up to break it even more.

I get it though Trump's your guy. What baffles me is supporters of Biden don't pretend not to be, so why do supporters of Trump constantly feel the need to pretend they are not?

Am I the only Democrat in this House?

Biden did much better than that Criminal. That Criminal lost the debate by disqualification because he didn't debate, he lied excessively and threw food.

I ridin with Biden. I guess I'm the only Democrat in the house.

This reminds me of the Edwin Edwards vs David Duke election.

Vote for the crook, it's important.
    You've said that Biden should be put out for to pasture for the good of the country and now you're saying it's important to vote for the crook, so you're saying vote for Trump without actually saying vote for Trump.

Why do you pretend you don't want Trump to win when your actions scream otherwise?

Am I the only Democrat in this House?

Biden did much better than that Criminal. That Criminal lost the debate by disqualification because he didn't debate, he lied excessively and threw food.

I ridin with Biden. I guess I'm the only Democrat in the house.
    This transcends being Democrat, Republican, Green Party, Independent or whatever. Every vote not cast for Biden puts Trump one vote closer to ending life as we've known it in this country.

If Trump wins, he will allow the Corpo-Christo-fascists to turn this country into their version of Afghanistan under the Taliban. What Trump is too stupid too realize is that if he gives them power, they will Vladimir Lenin his sorry arse. They will not risk leaving his narcissistic arse in power to screw up their plans on a whim.

It's disappointing that so many people don't understand how irrelevant the skills needed to "win" a debate are to the skills necessary to be an effective and trustworthy president.

Trump has proven to be corrupt and a disaster as a president.

Biden has proven to be even handed and effective as a president.

But OMG OMG OMG Trump is such a smooth talking liar, so Trump is better suited to be president.

If the majority of voters are going to vote for Trump over Biden because of tonight's debate, then we're screwed no matter who the candidates are.

Everyone knows who Trump is. Only people who don't care about integrity, honesty, and equal treatment and rights for everyone is going to vote for Trump. If that's the majority of voters, then that's why will be screwed. Neither Biden nor Trump have any power that voters don't give them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom