First presidential debate (22 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Honestly, Biden isn't inspiring any confidence at all. Trump is a complete fraud, but it's easy to see why people like him.
Trump was more likable today than usual, but normally he is a jackass. On the other hand, Biden is normally more likeable than he was today. It’s a bad combo.

Dude, I'm a Democrat, and I would love it if he dropped out. I'm fine with Kamala, Gavin, or Gretchen.
If Biden drops out, Trump wins. End of story. It's not because Biden is the only one who could have won, it's because Biden is the only one who can win at this late stage.

This is where I’m at.

The bar to beat Trump isn’t really that high. All you need is a pulse, and the ability to debate.
Debates don't actually determine election outcomes. What happens in October and the first days of November before the election do. "October surprise" exists for a reason.

I'm not saying Biden wins or loses, I'm just saying the debate tonight will have very little to do with whether he wins or loses.

I haven't been around here much lately, but had to get on for this.

What a disaster.

All it takes is someone with half a brain who can complete a sentence to smoke Trump in a debate, and we get this garbage. Who are these people that voted for Biden in the primaries to allow this? Literally anyone under 80 with a pulse would be better. To vote for Biden at this point is to put your trust in his handlers because we have no idea what will be left of this guy in another four years. Granted I would trust a random crackhead off the street before I would vote for Trump, but for people who need a nudge to get out and vote, they have no reason to get off the couch.

Dude's gotta go. I don't think it should be Kamala but I think even she would fare better in the election at this point.

If Biden drops out, Trump wins. End of story. It's not because Biden is the only one who could have won, it's because Biden is the only one who can win at this late stage.

Biden can’t win. Michelle Obama is the only one that can beat Trump now.

Not true at all. These guys are the two worst presidential candidates we've ever had (well, 2024 Biden might be fourth worst after 2024, 2020, 2016 Trump.) They are the only two people in the world that could lose to the other guy. Everyone is exhausted with both of them.

To be clear I am supportive of Biden's presidency to this point, but he is just an awful candidate. We need to stop covering for him.

Debates don't actually determine election outcomes. What happens in October and the first days of November before the election do. "October surprise" exists for a reason.

I'm not saying Biden wins or loses, I'm just saying the debate tonight will have very little to do with whether he wins or loses.
I think that's true and yet I also believe that Biden over performing versus expectations last time around helped him in the general election. I think what occurred tonight matters but it's certainly not decisive or anything.

What you knew about elections you can throw out of the window. What we are watching is unheard of.

I honestly expect the 25th to be invoked before the convention takes place. Cold or not, that President up there has seen better days, and he needs to be put out to pasture for the good of this nation.

Biden can’t win. Michelle Obama is the only one that can beat Trump now.
I'm not completely sold on the idea that Biden cannot win, but I do not feel the least bid optimistic about his odds.. at best it's a 50/50 proposition. And yes I do agree that Michelle Obama would shift things substantially but it just ain't gonna happen unfortunately.

I have been consistent that Biden is too old. Nothing new to see here. Of course since the only other choice is Trump I hope Trump wins because Biden is too old. I bet there will be so many news articles...internet articles tomorrow about what I have been saying for years. Biden is too old!

No gold star for you. Not even any other colored stars.

I don't think the Criminal said a thing which was not distorted. Most of what he said were out and out lies.

Biden is not too old, there is no such thing, he has a darned good vice President, and a good staff. That's what vice presidents and the administration are for.

So your age issue is basically a false issue. Especially if the criminal lies so often, and he does lie, he lies when it would be easier to tell the truth.

Your first sentence can be true, until China invades Taiwan, or extremists do something evil on our soil...etc., etc. I rather have Trump in the situation room. Wouldn't you?
There isn’t a single situation or scenario where I’d prefer Trump over Biden

Good for you guys....yet I am gonna be bold and claim on here that I was the strongest most consistent poster on that topic. Now I am stuck with the terrible position of hoping Trump will win. It should have been that GOP folks voted for Haley. It should have been that Democratic folks chose a day ...and packed the National Mall and chanted :"We want someone else". ...and "Thank you Mr President for beating Trump...but it's time to step aside ". Yet Democrats let me down...Republicans let me down. My fellow citizens are such a disappointment. So don't talk about shilling. I am not shilling...I am stating tonight what the media stories will say tomorrow. Loser...annoying...criminal Trump has to win...because Biden is too old.
So...a felon over a guy who is too old. You see how this looks don't you? And for all of the moaning and groaning, you said not too long ago you'd never vote for Trump yet here we are.

What you knew about elections you can throw out of the window. What we are watching is unheard of.

I honestly expect the 25th to be invoked before the convention takes place. Cold or not, that President up there has seen better days, and he needs to be put out to pasture for the good of this nation.
Put both of them out to pasture. Just flush it:

One is a legendary piece of shirt who probably borders on evil and the other is most clearly not up to the rigors of being the most powerful person in the world.

It's still a very obvious choice to me between the two of them, but still, fork this shirt.

This was a disappointing debate. Biden seems too old, but I didn't realize he was sick until I read all this here. He's at least answering the questions for the most part. He has a better understanding of how things work. Trump talks in circles with nonsense. It 'sounds good' if you're too stupid to critically think about anything. He's got energy, but he just doesn't make sense 90% of the time. He just gets a good zinger in here and there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom