First presidential debate (7 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

We've seen Biden look similar to how he did in the debate before. It was precisely why people like me were concerned about how this would play out.

The debate was the first big moment in which we saw Biden look like that, however, and it was what finally blew apart the company line about there being no issue at all. And I think that's a decent part of why this has become what it has, because the wholesale realization of that has now crashed squarely into what was being put out there by his team.

Here’s an article to the previously shared social media post about the Bloomberg poll.

(Repeating this message from my other post: I still think polling is unreliable. I’m not picking and choosing, just adding this to the mix of news.)

For crying out loud that's Ross Douthat's opinion!

That's akin to serving moose turd pie at a banquet.

Are we going to be hearing from Bill Kristol's opinion next?

You and LA-LA need to figure out a way to express opinions, and debate topics. You both regularly engage in attacking the person holding the opinion instead of the opinion itself.

I think you both should bow out of this thread all together.

You and LA-LA need to figure out a way to express opinions, and debate topics. You both regularly engage in attacking the person holding the opinion instead of the opinion itself.

I think you both should bow out of this thread all together.
That appears to have become your standard advice for folks, they "should bow out" of your way.

First you came for Biden, said he should bow out, then you came for us when we stood up to defend Biden, and defend the primary election you are trying to overturn.

Here's an expert who holds the same points I hold on to.

He says "never" would it be a good idea to make biden drop out and begin with someone new if they want to win the election.

I stand with Biden, the person I voted for, and will vote for again.

I understood what he was saying. I just think that’s Trump speak and deep down the thought of having to face a younger Democrat is more challenging to him.

I don’t think anyone really knows, that’s just my theory.

Yeah again, I don’t know and could easily be incorrect. He could just be trying to convince himself, which was what I was getting at above.

I don’t think it’s going to happen (Biden being asked to step aside) but I’m hearing more rumblings about this meeting next week, so we’ll see.
I'm only giving my impression as well. Only Trump can know what he's really thinking and all outward indications are even Trump doesn't really know what he's thinking anymore.

Meh. I’ll just add my thoughts as I have them. Never really liked the idea of dictating what others say. I wouldn’t apply that to you or anyone here.
You have told people you think they need to critize Israel more. It's not really dictating, just like what I said isn't dictating.
I don’t think that’s equivalent to flooding the board with negativity.
Making a negative comment here or there about Biden is not flooding the board. Constantly making negative comments about someone and reposting negative articles, videos or social media posts about them on a daily basis is flooding the board with negativity about that person.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom