First presidential debate (7 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

It just feels like a flub from Democrats. Biden shouldn't have run. I can't imagine what someone who could execute on all of Trump's flubs could do. Gavin Newsom would be killing Trump right now.

They should have absolutely approached Newsom and Biden to get this done.

Oh well. I'll do my part and vote, but won't be at all surpised

It just feels like a flub from Democrats. Biden shouldn't have run. I can't imagine what someone would execute on all of Trump's flubs could do. Gavin Newsom would be killing Trump right now.
    That's actually what I was alluding in my first post in here. Does having the debate this early and having it go poorly like it appears to be going to me.. creak opened the door for someone else to run or is that just not possible and/or a pipe dream?

Michelle Obama just has to give us like 5 months of her life here and she can resign immediately.

It makes me wonder how many people will be swayed to vote a certain way by a person projecting self-assuredness (even if what they say is factually incorrect). If a person SOUNDs like they know what they are talking about, more people believe him? Or believe in him and his abilities?

So far it seems like this debate is going to just be a back and forth pattern of:

T: (says a bunch of lies)
    B: What T said is a bunch of lies

and just repeat this over and over for the entire debate ^

That's actually what I was alluding in my first post in here. Does having the debate this early and having it go poorly like it appears to be going to me.. creak opened the door for someone else to run or is that just not possible and/or a pipe dream?

Michelle Obama just has to give us like 5 months of her life here and she can resign immediately.

I wonder what the actual ramifications would be if Biden drops out and they pick someone else.... would it energize Democrats, or would it demoralize them and energize the republicans.

But clearly Biden shouldn't have run.

It makes me wonder how many people will be swayed to vote a certain way by a person projecting self-assuredness (even if what they say is factually incorrect). If a person SOUNDs like they know what they are talking about, more people believe him? Or believe in him and his abilities?

So far it seems like this debate is going to just be a back and forth pattern of:

I think a lot of people respond well to the self-assured guy.

Those of us who already know who we're voting for are different than people who are actually subject to being swayed by this.

I wonder what the actual ramifications would be if Biden drops out and they pick someone else.... would it energize Democrats, or would it demoralize them and energize the republicans.

Polling showed anyone other then Biden would do better vs Trump, and the same for Republicans. Anyone other then Trump would do better vs Biden. I think Haley was like 10 point favorite vs Biden.

They should have absolutely approached Newsom and Biden to get this done.

Oh well. I'll do my part and vote, but won't be at all surpised

I think Kamala vs Newsom splits Dems. That could have been the worry. I don’t think Kamala gives up the “I put in the time” even if she isn’t electable.

It just feels like a flub from Democrats. Biden shouldn't have run. I can't imagine what someone who could execute on all of Trump's flubs could do. Gavin Newsom would be killing Trump right now.
    I've been saying this since day 1. The Democrats should have told Biden thank you very much, but we need to go a different direction. I really, really don't want Trump to win, but perception is reality in politics. Most are gonna come away thinking Trump won this debate. Will that translate to the election? I don't know, but it's going to be closer than it needs to be and Trump winning the election may be a likely outcome...ugh.

I think it would definitely depend upon who it was but.. I think it would be more likely to energize than demoralize.. I think there probably would be a jolt of energy from it just because it's sort of an unprecedented thing.

This debate being four months out from the election and before both primaries means it will not have as much impact on voting as what happens in October and the first four days of November.

This debate is going to be used for campaign ad material by both campaigns.

The media makes money off the debates, so they always exaggerate the importance of the debates in regards to it's influence on voting.

This debate being four months out from the election and before both primaries means it will not have as much impact on voting as what happens in October and the first four days of November.

This debate is going to be used for campaign ad material by both campaigns.

The media makes money off the debates, so they always exaggerate the importance of the debates in regards to it's influence on voting.

probably... the people most likely to be watching this are the political junkies who already have their minds made up. There are a lot of voters who don't tune in until like October. I envy them.

This may possibly by design. Trump likely said he would participate in the debate if he doesn't get direct push back from moderators. Just a guess tho.
    It's believable and easily possible that CNN made that concession to get the debate and the other rules.

The lying doesn't have to be checked right now. It can be checked later in political ads showing Trump lying in the debate contrasted to the truth. That kind of stuff influences voters more than Trump being unchecked during the debate.

The only moments that will be remembered from this debate are the ones that get aired over and over in campaign ads. So far, I don't see either campaign having an advantage of moments to use in ads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom