First presidential debate (20 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

It does register with the right. I wasn't talking about that election. Obama's policies made it possible for someone like Trump to be a candidate and win the nomination.
Gotcha. There's always going to be shirt like what you cited to rally the other side though. It's just the nature of it.

Imo eventually nominating a candidate like Trump.. not specifically like him, but you know, anti-establishment and all.. was the direction the Republican party was trending towards anyway and I think just about any Democratic President there who would have preceded Trump probably would've checked the boxes to make them want to turn things on its head.

Imo, in practice, Obama largely governed close to the center (at least in retrospect, I think that's fairly obvious) and so I just have a difficult time believing that we wouldn't have ended up somewhere that looks like this regardless.

The media definitely knew about his condition. If the public could see it then the media definitely knew about it.

They aren't shocked. They were covering for him until enough prominent Democrats called them after the debate to say Biden can't beat Trump. Then they immediately did a 180.

They are blaming his inner circle because they don't want to admit they covered for him this whole time.

These pictures seem more relevant now.

In this thread, in a response to you on this very topic I linked an article that cited Biden having the fewest press conferences since Reagan. You can go off stats, and facts, or keep linking massive pictures of pamphlets.

Politico, NYT, Axios, WAPO, CNN, and MSNBC aren't all in a secret cabal. If you don't believe it, oh well. It wouldn't be the first time you didn't let facts stop your feelings.

I've been saying it, and he said it there.. I think a lot of excitement would be generated amongst Democrats if something like this happened.

I get that there are logistical problems and stuff, but man, we've got a freaking problem right now yo.

Sure. You know the debate was on the TV and a lot of people watched it, correct? We all saw what you saw, we can just admit it.
I can admit it. I saw that awful Criminal lying at a rate of about ten lies per minute. One lie about every six seconds. I don't think he said anything that was true.

I've been saying it, and he said it there.. I think a lot of excitement would be generated amongst Democrats if something like this happened.

I get that there are logistical problems and stuff, but man, we've got a freaking problem right now yo.

I think the concern is that if you’re dumping an incumbent, you’d better be certain it’s going to help. Easy to think that it can’t get harder without him, but Biden beat out a field of younger, and in many cases, well established candidates in 2020. It might feel like something has to be done, but this is pretty unprecedented territory. Of course the White House isn’t helping his cause so far. If it’s because they can’t, then there’s not really much choice but make a change.

I don't know why MT15 has responded, but Trump did try to prosecute HRC you dingbat. It was his DoJ that found nothing.

You've been living in a banana republic for awhile homie.
His response was literally so stupid that nothing from me could do anything. None of MAGA world have any self-awareness whatsoever. They truly live in an alternate reality from the rest of us.

This can't wait until Chicago. They have to nominate someone before that Ohio deadline or no one appears on the ballot.

Meh. The Dems aren't going to win Ohio regardless. It's not that important. It can wait until Chicago if it means a better process in the end.

I'm not saying that's a good process, if indeed it happens at all. I'm just saying Ohio shouldn't be a sticking point.

This is a situation where only true insiders can know what is actually going on. Not the public, reading articles from anonymous sources. Not people who were never sold on Biden pushing to oust him just to win some sort of pissing contest.

Especially not MAGA idiots with conspiracy theories.

Losing the incumbent advantage is huge. It shouldn’t happen on a whim. I’m of the opinion that if Biden is unable to run, then replace him now. Have Harris take the oath and she can run and pick a trendy governor as her VP. That’s about the only way I see this logistically working.

Here is the acutal doc:

Biden is behind every single potential candidate in a two way race according to this polling.

P.S. They announced an all hands WH staff meeting tomorrow at noon.
Bloomburg quotes Pluck News, Oh Wow.

:ROFLMAO:

The awful thing I noticed about that poll was there was nothing I saw in it that polling report which identified WHO, or HOW, that poll was taken.

That failure to identify the polling house who did the poll moots its results.

You better sit down, I never heard of this Lloyd Doggett before this moment in time.

Bloomburg quotes Pluck News, Oh Wow.

:ROFLMAO:

The awful thing I noticed about that poll was there was nothing I saw in it that polling report which identified WHO, or HOW, that poll was taken.

That failure to identify the polling house who did the poll moots its results.

This board dude......

That poll is from openlabs.

After that poll was leaked you saw major Dem players in Pelosi, and Clyburn express doubts about Biden. The first sitting Dem Congressman openly called for Biden to be replaced. I think if insiders believe it's legitimate polling you can as well.

Or don't, IDC.

This is a situation where only true insiders can know what is actually going on. Not the public, reading articles from anonymous sources. Not people who were never sold on Biden pushing to oust him just to win some sort of pissing contest.

Especially not MAGA idiots with conspiracy theories.

Losing the incumbent advantage is huge. It shouldn’t happen on a whim. I’m of the opinion that if Biden is unable to run, then replace him now. Have Harris take the oath and she can run and pick a trendy governor as her VP. That’s about the only way I see this logistically working.

Only part I have some disagreement with is that Harris would have to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Not sure I like the idea of her doing that while also serving out the end of Biden’s term. Open to strategic considerations of that, though.

If Biden can’t go, I think it’s almost a certainty it will be Harris. Hopefully all the people calling on him to step aside will be enthusiastic about that.

I think it's over. Nancy has turned.

Pelosi did not turn on Biden.

She's very supportive of Biden and trusts his judgment, I would suggest watching that interview you posted the link to.

That ABC women was determined to lead that interview where she wanted it to go, the title and blurb lines are taken from that determination, not what Pelosi actually said. To make that title or blurb they took words Pelosi's words out of context so completely that it distorted what she actually said.

I think that plan would be a sure way for Democrats to lose.

Besides that I'm not interested in that plan, Biden and Harris are the candidates I'm riding with for this election.

Only part I have some disagreement with is that Harris would have to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Not sure I like the idea of her doing that while also serving out the end of Biden’s term. Open to strategic considerations of that, though.

If Biden can’t go, I think it’s almost a certainty it will be Harris. Hopefully all the people calling on him to step aside will be enthusiastic about that.
In the poll CNN did, Harris actually was performing better against Trump than Biden.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom