First presidential debate (11 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Pelosi did not turn on Biden.

She's very supportive of Biden and trusts his judgment, I would suggest watching that interview you posted the link to.

That ABC women was determined to lead that interview where she wanted it to go, the title and blurb lines are taken from that determination, not what Pelosi actually said. To make that title or blurb they took words Pelosi's words out of context so completely that it distorted what she actually said.

This board is gaslighting itself.

Here is the quote:

"I think it's a legitimate question to say, is this an episode, or is this a condition? And so when people ask that question, it's completely legitimate — of both candidates," Pelosi, still a prominent member of the House Democratic Caucus, said in an interview on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports.”

"Both candidates owe whatever test you want to put them to, in terms of their mental acuity and their health — both of them," she added.

That's Nancy Pelosi VERY CLEARLY stating Biden should take a cognitive test. That is NOT fully supporting a candidate.

Are you guys really grasping at Nancy was tricked by a news reporter into saying this? That MSNBC of all places is up to no good?

In the poll CNN did, Harris actually was performing better against Trump than Biden.

I know and I hope it’s accurate and holds. It’s all a non-issue for me since I’m voting for the Dem ticket, regardless. But apart from that, I like Harris and think she’s capable. I do worry that it’s like the backup QB being the most popular player on a team with a struggling starter. We won’t know what we really need to know until a change is made and a new candidate hits the campaign trail.

Here is the quote:

That's Nancy Pelosi VERY CLEARLY stating Biden should take a cognitive test. That is NOT fully supporting a candidate.

Are you guys really grasping at Nancy was tricked by a news reporter into saying this? That MSNBC of all places is up to no good?
She did not clearly state that Biden should take a cognitive test. Nor did she turn on Biden.

Can't you see that you are heavily reading your opinion into her statements. You quoted what she said, but then you said what she said, and they are not the same.

She did not clearly state that Biden should take a cognitive test. Nor did she turn on Biden.

Can't you see that you are heavily reading your opinion into her statements. You quoted what she said, but then you said what she said, and they are not the same.

I guess we need to have grammar classes on this board.

Give me your interpretation word by word of this sentence.

Both candidates owe whatever test you want to put them to, in terms of their mental acuity and their health — both of them.

Do you simply not understand what the word's "mental acuity" mean?

Here is the quote:

Did you not see the quote I posted in reply to you from the NYT article about this? Do you think her staff member is undermining her publicly?

After the interview, a spokesman for Ms. Pelosi, Ian Krager, reached out to The New York Times with a statement: “Speaker Pelosi has full confidence in President Biden and looks forward to attending his inauguration on January 20, 2025.”

I know you’re hopeful for a candidate change - and I agree there are indications that can’t be ruled out - but just like you think others are gaslighting themselves, I think you’re also seeing only what supports the conclusion you’ve already reached. Fact is, we’re all guessing right now and little is clear about what is happening behind the scenes and what the outcome of that will be.

This guy had a first person view of Trump's actions. He was one of the inner circle and I have no doubt what he's saying about Trump is true.
IIRC, 44 out of 47 Cabinet members, including his VP, refuse to vote for Trump this time. It’s safe to say that all of them voted for Trump in 2016, they’re all Republicans, every last one of them.

And we collectively as a nation are simply ignoring that fact. It’s unprecedented.

Did you not see the quote I posted in reply to you from the NYT article about this? Do you think her staff member is undermining her publicly?

After the interview, a spokesman for Ms. Pelosi, Ian Krager, reached out to The New York Times with a statement: “Speaker Pelosi has full confidence in President Biden and looks forward to attending his inauguration on January 20, 2025.”

I know you’re hopeful for a candidate change - and I agree there are indications that can’t be ruled out - but just like you think others are gaslighting themselves, I think you’re also seeing only what supports the conclusion you’ve already reached. Fact is, we’re all guessing right now and little is clear about what is happening behind the scenes and what the outcome of that will be.

Am I or, you and Sam?

I wouldn't normally say fully supporting a candidate would be publicly stating they should take a cognitive test. That's just me. We can agree to disagree.

Am I or, you and Sam?

I wouldn't normally say fully supporting a candidate would be publicly stating they should take a cognitive test. That's just me. We can agree to disagree.

I already acknowledged her comment about taking a cognitive test - she thinks both candidates should. Don’t ignore that part while you’re calling people out.

The statement from her spokesperson doesn’t support your conclusion that she’s “turned on” Biden and it’s over. Maybe that happens, but we aren’t there, yet.

I already acknowledged her comment about taking a cognitive test - she thinks both candidates should. Don’t ignore that part while you’re calling people out.

The statement from her spokesperson doesn’t support your conclusion that she’s “turned on” Biden and it’s over. Maybe that happens, but we aren’t there, yet.

You can use whatever adjective you want to describe Pelosi's public request for Joe to take a cognitive test. It's a sea change from her previous line. If you don't think so.

Again, agree to disagree.

You can use whatever adjective you want to describe Pelosi's public request for Joe to take a cognitive test. It's a sea change from her previous line. If you don't think so.

I guess in order to think it’s a sea change I would need to know if she was responding to a question about Biden taking a cognitive test. And her response was sure- have them both take the same test. It read to me like that’s how that came about. 🤷‍♀️

And I guess you can ignore whatever you want to frame this as her turning on him.

Turning on him implies, to me, withholding support. Maybe you just mean her position has changed to allow consideration for other people’s concerns and offering advice for how she thinks he can address that. (Again, something I pointed out in my original response).

I guess we need to have grammar classes on this board.

Give me your interpretation word by word of this sentence.

Both candidates owe whatever test you want to put them to, in terms of their mental acuity and their health — both of them.
I think that sentence appears to have the word "owe" in it which creates a situation that it doesn't make a lick of sense. I wonder about the transcript being garbled.

One shouldn't, force a meaning onto a sentence when its meaning cannot be resolved. Move on and work with the sentences which do seem to make sense. Those sentences which did make sense "clearly" show she supports Biden.

I think it possible that garbled sentence was intended to mean that in her opinion both candidates are the same age, similar condition, "both" being quoted twice.

I think that sentence appears to have the word "owe" in it which creates a situation that it doesn't make a lick of sense. I wonder about the transcript being garbled.

One shouldn't, force a meaning onto a sentence when its meaning cannot be resolved. Move on and work with the sentences which do seem to make sense. Those sentences which did make sense "clearly" show she supports Biden.

I think it possible that garbled sentence was intended to mean that in her opinion both candidates are the same age, similar condition, "both" being quoted twice.
Maybe the question that was posed to her was along the lines of - does Biden owe the people to take a cognitive test?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom