First presidential debate (14 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Maybe.

Everything is fluid and the truth is that none of us really know for sure what the best way forward is to defeat Trump.

At the end of the day this is all that I think really stands.

And I guess you can ignore whatever you want to frame this as her turning on him.

Turning on him implies, to me, withholding support. Maybe you just mean her position has changed to allow consideration for other people’s concerns and offering advice for how she thinks he can address that. (Again, something I pointed out in my original response).

She is withholding support. She could have said "Bad debate nights happen. I fully support Joe, and his ability to lead the country."

She didn't say that though.

I'm not sure what we are debating here.

You guys live in a fantasy land.

For all the talk about perspective clouding how I interpret words, pot meet kettle.

She is withholding support. She could have said "Bad debate nights happen. I fully support Joe, and his ability to lead the country."

For all the talk about perspective clouding how I interpret words, pot meet kettle.

So you think her spokesperson lied or misspoke?

Maybe the question that was posed to her was along the lines of - does Biden owe the people to take a cognitive test?
Possibly, as I said earlier that ABC woman appeared to have been pressing Pelosi during the interview to get her to say what she wanted her to say.

This is the NYT headline:

Backing Biden, Pelosi Calls Questions About Debate Performance ‘Legitimate’​

You might take note of the word “backing”.

And these are some of her other comments you are apparently ignoring:

Ms. Pelosi heaped praise on Mr. Biden, saying he was “masterful in helping to write and to pass” a slew of legislation that Democrats passed early in his presidency when they had control of Congress. “He has a vision,” she said. “He has knowledge. He has judgment. He has a strategic thinking and the rest.”

Watch the video, it's in the thread now. Jesus.

I watched it. I’ve acknowledged the parts you think are important. It’s you who is taking an incomplete look at this to support the conclusion you’ve already reached.

The debate was concerning.

Demonstrating his cognitive ability is necessary if he wants to get reelected. On the other hand, not enough people seem to care that Trump is a blob of incoherent goo.

What Ms Pelosi does not say - unless I’ve missed it and that would completely contradict the statement put out by her office - is that if Biden doesn’t take a test, she can’t support him.

What is it you think I’m missing (other than not fully agreeing with you)?

Last edited:

I was just talking with my wife, she asked me how it was going, implying my computer use.

My reply was,"argh someone is WRONG on the Internet."

What Ms Pelosi does not say - unless I’ve missed it and it completely contradicts the statement put out by her campaign - is that if Biden doesn’t take a test, she can’t support him.

What is it you think I’m missing (other than not fully agreeing with you)?

You have created a strawman. Congrats.

You are arguing about a fictional conditional topic that I've never stated, nor anyone in this thread I believe.

Have fun with that.

Edit to add: I'm going to try one last time in good faith. If you had a coworker, that saw you on conference call, and then messaged you privately, and asked if you are ok. They then followed up and inquired if you have ever taken a cognitive decline test. Would you describe that person as having full faith, and support in your abilities?

This is not hard. You guys are willfully obtuse it seems. It's a small topic that you and Sam just won't let go.

Last edited:
I would say episode, the next day Biden was doing a rally and had the voters eating out of his hand.

I’ve watched him speaking a few times this week, including today at some weather emergency management event. Seems like the Joe Biden we already know. Granted, that’s distinct from the pressures of a debate and he was awful in the parts of that I’ve seen.

Pretty much anything we say is repetitive at this point. Concerns are out there and the White House has to address them or his campaign is doomed. That’s the way it works.

Video should start at about where all of this was covered:

Thanks for that. I didn’t realize it was Andrea Mitchell, some irony there. 🙂

Andrea is the one who asked the question about whether it was an episode or a condition and I think Nancy was merely responding to that and acknowledging it as a legit question. I think Pelosi was honest when she answered the question about the donors - some are panicking some are not. I think she was effusive in her praise for Joe. I don’t see this interview as her being tepid in her support for Biden. Agree to disagree with Donk on that.

The Democrats are not like the GOP. People feel free to express their opinions and are more likely to be honest about dissent within the ranks. Not the knee-jerk worship that MAGA requires.

I would say episode, the next day Biden was doing a rally and had the voters eating out of his hand.
Yeah her phrasing was kind of off there I think.. if there are episodes, maybe it's indicative of a condition. Ya know?

If it's a one-off episode and there's no real reason to worry.. put him out there to dispel the notion. Live interviews, press conferences, out amongst the people. Let's see a lot of all of it.

Presumably we wouldn't ever see anything similar to what we saw in the debate if there's really no issue at all.

The perception is that there's an issue, he's got to do the work to prove that there's not.

Unless there is.

Thanks for that. I didn’t realize it was Andrea Mitchell, some irony there. 🙂

No kidding.

I don’t see this interview as her being tepid in her support for Biden. Agree to disagree with Donk on that.

I mean, she’s effusive in her praise for Biden and literally says she thinks he’ll “continue to be a great president”.

She acknowledges the concerns, makes suggestions for how he can address those concerns, but I don’t know how anybody listens to that interview, and reads the reporting that has been shared here, and thinks she’s withholding her support from Biden.

J-Donk, did you watch the video?

This comment is very perceptive. The media is, like they have been doing, ignoring the crazy from Trump and focusing really hard on Biden. Trump just yesterday posted on Truth Social calling for Liz Cheney and the rest of the J6 committee to be charged with treason and tried by military tribunals. Along with prominent Democrats, and some Republicans like Mike Pence and McConnell. And no real news media is covering it. None. It should have been the lead story on the network news.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom