First presidential debate (12 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Obama took office during the 08 housing crisis. Trump took over an economy in it's 90ish month of economic upswing. What conditions are you talking about here?

HRC was horrible at campaigning. She might have won with just one change, sucked it up and gave Sanders the (ceremonial) vp slot. What the heck was Tim Kaine bringing to the table?

Edit to add: In your world view do you really think Trump could beat Obama if he could run for a third term? Obama would be up 15. Trump would have dodged every debate.
Wall Street bailout with nobody prosecuted, IRS targeted conservative groups, Operation Fast and Furious, Benghazi, His FBI letting Hillary off with no charges on her classified document scandal, etc.

IRS targeted conservative groups
This one is just a lie - it was subsequently proven (after alt right media ran with the original story) that partisan political groups from both sides were audited. The search terms included terms from both the right and the left.

For someone who distrusts certain media, you should probably be more critical of the media you consume yourself.

Wall Street bailout with nobody prosecuted, IRS targeted conservative groups, Operation Fast and Furious, Benghazi, His FBI letting Hillary off with no charges on her classified document scandal, etc.
That stuff registers with the right but I think they lost that election in the middle on the fact that Hillary was just as disliked as Trump.. remember, Obama left office with very high ratings, if he had the opportunity to run against Trump, I am pretty darn confident that he would have won.

Tarp was not Obama, all of the rest of this is micro, and not macro conditions. People don't vote based on any of that stuff. Please don't debate it, google the top issues every election. It's fairly consistent.

I'm more interested in what's their proximity to Obama now?

Well, my guess is Obama isn’t feeding them information so they can undermine Biden off of that. Don’t think any of them would operate that way about this or towards him.

Lots of people have opinions about Biden’s ability, I’m interested in the highly informed ones. I’m not saying there isn’t any concern in those circles, but the real panic and outrage, so far, is coming from the periphery.

And to reiterate, the debate performance was concerning. I’m not begrudging anybody how they feel about it.

Here is the acutal doc:

Biden is behind every single potential candidate in a two way race according to this polling.

P.S. They announced an all hands WH staff meeting tomorrow at noon.

Here is the acutal doc:

Biden is behind every single potential candidate in a two way race according to this polling.

P.S. They announced an all hands WH staff meeting tomorrow at noon.

I’ll take that at face value. The backlash can’t be denied and the signals aren’t in Biden’s favor right now.

The White House is going to have to be aggressive in reassuring voters and if they can’t or won’t, powerbrokers are going to have to move quickly to figure out the best path forward. If Biden can’t stay in, that’s a major setback that won’t be easy to overcome in 4 months. There isn’t, that I can tell, any other candidate who can jump right in with high favorability and an established broad national coalition to build upon. Harris is the best positioned from a funding standpoint.

I’ll take that at face value. The backlash can’t be denied and the signals aren’t in Biden’s favor right now.

The White House is going to have to be aggressive in reassuring voters and if they can’t or won’t, powerbrokers are going to have to move quickly to figure out the best path forward. If Biden can’t stay in, that’s a major setback that won’t be easy to overcome in 4 months. There isn’t, that I can tell, any other candidate who can jump right in with high favorability and an established broad national coalition to build upon. Harris is the best positioned from a funding standpoint.

It's not just voters, it's the party as well. The interesting thing to me is that from all these articles coming out. Their is a huge contingent of major party players, and donors that think Biden needs to be replaced.

The NYT have been vicious. It's clear people are talking off the record, and are trying to apply pressure to quit.

I think it's over. Nancy has turned.

I think saying she’s turned is an embellishment of what she actually said. She’s acknowledging that it’s valid for other people to have concerns. Her advice is for Biden to sit down for unscripted interviews with credible journalists. She thinks both candidates should undergo evaluations to demonstrate fitness.

“When people ask that question, it’s legitimate — of both candidates,” she added. “What we saw on the other side was lying.”

Ms. Pelosi heaped praise on Mr. Biden, saying he was “masterful in helping to write and to pass” a slew of legislation that Democrats passed early in his presidency when they had control of Congress. “He has a vision,” she said. “He has knowledge. He has judgment. He has a strategic thinking and the rest.”

[…]

After the interview, a spokesman for Ms. Pelosi, Ian Krager, reached out to The New York Times with a statement: “Speaker Pelosi has full confidence in President Biden and looks forward to attending his inauguration on January 20, 2025.”

Shapiro would be their best option.

The most partisan Biden supporters won't ever criticize his administration from hiding his condition the last 3.5 years.

Here is yet another example that shows us the corporate media isn't credible and they are basically an arm of the Democrat Party.

Those same partisans won't criticize the media for lying to them this whole time and they will continue to act like the media is credible.

Shouldn't anyone who doesn't think Biden should be the nominee also be concerned that Biden shouldn't be President anymore?
Tapper is going off the reservation and calling a spade a spade but don't look at that. Orange man bad and going to end democracy! LOL.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-biden-s-stunningly-flawed-debate/ar-BB1peCrd

“There is a pattern, a discernible pattern, of Democratic officials seemingly trying to convince you, the public, to not believe what you saw and what you heard with your eyes and with your ears on Thursday night,” said Tapper before playing some of the troubling clips of Biden from the debate, which he moderated along with his colleague Dana Bash.

“Democratic officials have tried to spin this in many ways,” said Tapper, by trying to say it was just a cold or “one-off night” like former President Barack Obama’s rough time during his first debate in 2012. “But behind the scenes, make no mistake, most Democratic officials witnessed the same shocking spectacle that you did.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom