First presidential debate (14 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

I think most people can see that Biden can't be making the decisions, he has simply dropped off too much. So, my question is who is making those decisions for him? Who exactly is inching us closer to war in Europe? I guess if you can believe that Biden is actually making the decisions then it does make sense we are in the mess we are in since we all saw the 'sharp', 'cogent' or 'best ever version of Biden' on full display.

I have said for a some time that Biden will be replaced as he was declining too much to win. It seems many are finally coming around to this fact. Do you guys think negativaly on the administration or the media for lying this whole time? All the talk about 'fakes' and 'cheap fakes' were simply gaslighting the voter base.

Newsome? Whitmer? Michelle Obama? Who do you all think will be the replacement for El Cid?

I think Newsome but I have no idea how they get Jill to agree to step down much less ask Kamala to not run.

It would probably be Whitmer, and not Newsom. If you are going by the best candidate based on resume, and pedigree it's Newsom, but Whitmer is from a swing state.

Well, if your party had chosen Haley, and even though I have very little respect for her, I'd be fine with her and might have even voted for her given Biden's debate performance. But your party didn't, and here we are.

I said before I'd rather one of my dogs be President than vote for Trump. My dogs are as selfish as him, but not malignantly so and are mostly sweethearts. Sure, they aren't capable of debating because they can't talk, but if they could they could probably do better than "OMG, the immigrants!!"

It comes down to which candidate is less dangerous for the country. I think it's Biden by far, but if you want to talk yourself (because you're not convincing any of us) into Trump, I can respect that as long as you take responsibility for what happens after he gets elected.
    You would think that the President that has us the closest to nuclear armageddon since the Cuban Missle Crisis would be the person who is the most dangerous to the country.

You would think that the President that has us the closest to nuclear armageddon since the Cuban Missle Crisis would be the person who is the most dangerous to the country.

Nice try, Trump tried a coup on the current administration.

I agree. I think that President Putin is dangerous as well.

The public won't buy an edited interview. It needs to be live, or not at all.
    I don’t think there are very many if any of these types of long form interviews that aren’t edited at all. There is a difference between the editing that is done to make an interview fit the time slot and around the commercials and deceptive editing.

You may not notice the edits, because they are minor, but they are there.

I meant Obama's policies during his presidency led to the conditions that gave us Trump.

Obama took office during the 08 housing crisis. Trump took over an economy in it's 90ish month of economic upswing. What conditions are you talking about here?

HRC was horrible at campaigning. She might have won with just one change, sucked it up and gave Sanders the (ceremonial) vp slot. What the heck was Tim Kaine bringing to the table?

Edit to add: In your world view do you really think Trump could beat Obama if he could run for a third term? Obama would be up 15. Trump would have dodged every debate.

I think most people can see that Biden can't be making the decisions, he has simply dropped off too much. So, my question is who is making those decisions for him? Who exactly is inching us closer to war in Europe? I guess if you can believe that Biden is actually making the decisions then it does make sense we are in the mess we are in since we all saw the 'sharp', 'cogent' or 'best ever version of Biden' on full display.

I have said for a some time that Biden will be replaced as he was declining too much to win. It seems many are finally coming around to this fact. Do you guys think negativaly on the administration or the media for lying this whole time? All the talk about 'fakes' and 'cheap fakes' were simply gaslighting the voter base.

Newsome? Whitmer? Michelle Obama? Who do you all think will be the replacement for El Cid?

I think Newsome but I have no idea how they get Jill to agree to step down much less ask Kamala to not run.
    Shapiro would be their best option.

The most partisan Biden supporters won't ever criticize his administration from hiding his condition the last 3.5 years.

Here is yet another example that shows us the corporate media isn't credible and they are basically an arm of the Democrat Party.

Those same partisans won't criticize the media for lying to them this whole time and they will continue to act like the media is credible.

Shouldn't anyone who doesn't think Biden should be the nominee also be concerned that Biden shouldn't be President anymore?

Shapiro would be their best option.

The most partisan Biden supporters won't ever criticize his administration from hiding his condition the last 3.5 years.

Here is yet another example that shows us the corporate media isn't credible and they are basically an arm of the Democrat Party.

Those same partisans won't criticize the media for lying to them this whole time and they will continue to act like the media is credible.

Shouldn't anyone who doesn't think Biden should be the nominee also be concerned that Biden shouldn't be President anymore?
    The cognitive dissonance is just striking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom