First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

I am only going to vote for Trump if Biden is on the ballot.
    If Biden isn't on the ballot I will NOT vote for Trump.

If you’ve thought for a long time that Biden is unfit, and you are only going to vote for Trump if Biden is on the ballot, you were always going to vote for Trump. Maybe it was going to take time to be honest with yourself (or more likely, others) but you were never taking the principled stand you tried to portray (but I don’t think anybody here believed).

Some quotes from that article:
    By Saturday, their efforts appeared to have successfully slowed the tide of prominent Democrats calling for Biden to step aside.
    Rep. Gregory W. Meeks of New York said many donors urged the elected officials in attendance to pressure Biden to end his run for reelection. Meeks said he counseled donors to calm down.

“I agree that it was a terrible, terrible night,” he said, suggesting that some of that was because Biden tried to cram too much information into his answers.
    “Donors are very concerned,” Meeks said. “I had a number of them come and said that they were panicked, to be quite honest with you, that we had to do something, we had to do something now. And others who came up to me and said it would be a mess to do something now.”
    Obama told donors the debate had been a tough night, but he emphasized the urgent task of defeating Trump, two attendees said.
    Several advisers said a second debate, scheduled for September, should still happen. They said the president should focus on asserting himself against Trump rather than trying to explain the full Biden agenda.

And here's the photo of the people holding up signs:

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      862.8 KB · Views: 29
    • Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      862.8 KB · Views: 25
    If you’ve thought for a long time that Biden is unfit, and you are only going to vote for Trump if Biden is on the ballot, you were always going to vote for Trump. Maybe it was going to take time to be honest with yourself (or more likely, others) but you were never taking the principled stand you tried to portray (but I don’t think anybody here believed).
    I already stated but I will say it again, I could take that stand because I was convinced that my blue state of NJ would overwhelming vote for Biden. Now my perception of that has changed...thus my stance has changed.

You might want that, but a concerted effort to primary an incumbent just isn’t ever likely.

I do think this election, and witnessing the decline of Feinstein and McConnell, could ignite a more serious conversation about age and potentially spark momentum for a change in expectations with voters.

There were a lot of young up-and-coming candidates in 2020 who were all rejected because (fill in reasons). Biden was near the bottom of my preferences in that field.

It needs to be viewed less as a threat. If nothing else treat it as a system to introduce the world to potential future candidates. They get practice running national campaigns.

Biden floated being a 1 term president. I feel like everyone has forgotten that as well.

It needs to be viewed less as a threat. If nothing else treat it as a system to introduce the world to potential future candidates. They get practice running national campaigns.

Biden also ran on being a 1 term president. I feel like everyone has forgotten that as well.

Anonymous advisors claim that. If Biden said it publicly, I’m not recalling that.

The idea of prepping future candidates might sound good in some sense, but the potential to inflict unnecessary in-party damage against an incumbent is a risk that offsets any benefits.

I already stated but I will say it again, I could take that stand because I was convinced that my blue state of NJ would overwhelming vote for Biden. Now my perception of that has changed...thus my stance has changed.

Which isn’t a principled stand against Trump. You want Trump to win. You’ve always wanted Trump to win. You just didn’t think you’d have to participate to get the result you wanted. That’s what you’re really saying.

So here is an example of a person who is still in denial. During that 90 minutes we didn't see someone who simply had a bad day. Come on. We saw someone who has served his country in multiple offices and now should enjoy his well deserved retirement.

Not in denial. What I see is the republican media pushing hard on this. And I also saw the interview the following day. I know plenty about dementia having several family members fighting this. The only reason that the media is pushing this story so much is that they know Trump cant beat Biden

Which isn’t a principled stand against Trump. You want Trump to win. You’ve always wanted Trump to win. You just didn’t think you’d have to participate to get the result you wanted. That’s what you’re really saying.
    Yeah I was trying to come up with a response but couldn't for "I was principally against Donald Trump until I believed he could win."

That's pretty close. I will tweak it to make it accurate. I want Biden to lose. I have always wanted Biden to lose. I thought I wouldn't have to participate but now if Biden is on the ballot I might have to. Just make sure Biden is not on the ballot...ok? I am done here for today. Tomorrow I am driving 7 plus hours for family tourism. Bye for now.

I understand how you would say that. Do YOU understand that Biden can't be the Commander and Chief until January 2029?
    1. Commander-in-Chief

2. Biden’s performance was abysmal. Biden may not live to 2029. There are absolutely many democrats I’d rather vote for. But if the choice is Biden vs. Trump, I’ll vote for Biden (and the future of democracy) every single time.

bullshirt. I read you like an open book from Day 1. There’s millions of republicans just like you. You’re not special. You’re not some critical thinker. You’re the same as all the others who “held their nose” and pulled the lever.

Want some more analysis as to why I know you’re voting for Trump regardless of which democrat is on the ballot?

Because it’s very simple.

1 - you aren’t voting for ANY Democrat, so replacing Biden with a better candidate doesn’t mean you’ll now vote for the Democrat. It means simply that you might somehow go back to voting third party, except that

2 - you think your state is in play, and you’ve tacitly admitted that voting for a Republican or Democrat is more effective in producing an outcome than voting for a third party by admitting you’d vote for Trump, rather than a third party, to keep Biden from winning.

3 - you’ve hedged your bet on the extremely unlikely scenario that the democrats actually would replace Biden 2 months before the convention

Ergo, there’s no scenario where you realistically go back to voting third party.

So yea. Double or nothing, or can we skip the months-long song and dance and admit that I’m right about this, too?

Why? So Trump can be president again?
    Lol....I know. It's like someone asking you: "Do you want to die by lethal injection or the electric chair". Well...people should have chosen my candidate Haley, but not enough people are as wise as I am....lol.

That's pretty close. I will tweak it to make it accurate. I want Biden to lose. I have always wanted Biden to lose. I thought I wouldn't have to participate but now if Biden is on the ballot I might have to. Just make sure Biden is not on the ballot...ok? I am done here for today. Tomorrow I am driving 7 plus hours for family tourism. Bye for now.

You don’t always have to give excuses for bowing out of conversations. It’s okay to just not reply back.

I am done here for today. Tomorrow I am driving 7 plus hours for family tourism. Bye for now.
    What is the deal with the republicans on this forum always disappearing when they’ve lost an argument?

Like every single one of them, every single time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom