First presidential debate (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

So one 90 minute debate with no moderators to stop Trumps lies and while having a bad cold., overrules everything else? All the other good speaches he has done lately? Even the state of the union adresse only 6 months ago? I really dont get it - Dont you ever have one bad day? So you want to turn everything upside down and risk getting Trump back and having a total panick attack over 90 minutes when Biden has been solid for 4 years and even showed with his speech the day after, that he was ok.
So here is an example of a person who is still in denial. During that 90 minutes we didn't see someone who simply had a bad day. Come on. We saw someone who has served his country in multiple offices and now should enjoy his well deserved retirement.

Decline can happen quickly and it was already a legitimate concern with both these candidates. I witnessed it with my Dad recently. Lost in the panic about Biden is how unhinged and inarticulate Trump was, and has been.

I do think the campaign has to address this with urgency so that people can begin to decide for themselves if it was a bad night or something more.

Meh, I feel differently.

This might have been avoided if there was a real primary, and debates. The DNP can't help themselves.

Isn’t first understanding what is going on necessary to determine if it’s best for the county that he step aside?

I think the people most likely to embrace that conclusion already didn’t think much of Biden and wanted another option.

There hasn’t been a collapse of support for Biden at this point, but three days isn’t enough time to assess what is going on and how to proceed.
Yes I was just saying what I believe to be the thought process of some.

Are you still in denial about your vote?

I have no idea what that guy or SFL are doing in here. Trump looked deranged, and insane, and horrible. Biden looked worse, but Trump did not look good. Do they really not understand that the urge to replace Biden is because Trump looked so bad? That a sharper candidate will slice through Trump on that stage?

The guy spent 10 minutes talking about golf in a debate. What planet are these conservatives living on? They should be scared to death that Biden might be replaced.

Are you still in denial about your vote?
No.
YOU get a scoop!
In the past I assumed that my state of NJ was in the bag for
Biden. NJ was a lock for Biden.
Now many people have seen the Biden that's bee there for awhile...they just didn't know it.
NOW my vote might actually matter.
In my mind, Joseph Biden cannot be the Commander and Chief in the Situation room for another 4 years.
IF Biden does not step down I might vote for Trump.
That's how strongly I think about how unacceptable Biden is.
If Biden is removed or voluntarily steps down then I'll return to my pledge to only vote down ballot and not cast a vote for President.
So Biden....step down or I may feel cornered to vote for a felon and a liar.

Meh, I feel differently.

This might have been avoided if there was a real primary, and debates. The DNP can't help themselves.

How often is there a “real primary” involving an incumbent candidate?

Leftists can’t help themselves, either.

I have no idea what that guy or SFL are doing in here. Trump looked deranged, and insane, and horrible. Biden looked worse, but Trump did not look good. Do they really not understand that the urge to replace Biden is because Trump looked so bad? That a sharper candidate will slice through Trump on that stage?

The guy spent 10 minutes talking about golf in a debate. What planet are these conservatives living on? They should be scared to death that Biden might be replaced.
"That guy" is possibly me? If "yes"...
Don't you know that "that guy" hates Trump and has always wanted Haley?

So one 90 minute debate with no moderators to stop Trumps lies and while having a bad cold., overrules everything else?
No. And i didnt say it should. It should however give pause and people should ask questions. I'd like to chalk it up to a bad day, but I'm not so sure it's just that. Biden is going to have to prove it was a bad day at the office by being on point between now and the convention. He's going to have to hit the trail and dispel the doubts.
All the other good speaches he has done lately? Even the state of the union adresse only 6 months ago? I really dont get it - Dont you ever have one bad day? So you want to turn everything upside down and risk getting Trump back and having a total panick attack over 90 minutes when Biden has been solid for 4 years and even showed with his speech the day after, that he was ok.
We all have bad days. But his performance was embarrassing. I mean, the golf stuff was an unforced error and he brought it up. He should have hit back hard at several points and he just let it slide. Those should have been easy layups. He's gonna have to show that his off day was an anomaly and the speeches he usually gives are the norm. Time will tell if that's the case.

Here's a great question for the conservatives that continue to dunk on Biden in this thread. What's a BLACK JOB? LOL

You guys are just as much in denial as LA.

I would break with tradition when you have a octogenarian.

You might want that, but a concerted effort to primary an incumbent just isn’t ever likely.

I do think this election, and witnessing the decline of Feinstein and McConnell, could ignite a more serious conversation about age and potentially spark momentum for a change in expectations with voters.

There were a lot of young up-and-coming candidates in 2020 who were all rejected because (fill in reasons). Biden was near the bottom of my preferences in that field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom