First presidential debate (17 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
Since we usually have a separate thread for these
=================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Neither of them have the Track record that Biden/Harris have. We know that Biden/Harris has created a strong and succesful administration. None of the others have Bidens knowlegde and experience. Especially with foreign policy

Definitely seeing signs of that on Threads. NYT has been facing a lot of backlash, even before the debate, for their reporting. Since the debate, their employees, and other media personalities and pundits, are getting heavily ratioed on their calls for Biden to be replaced. I’m not saying there isn’t real concern among voters, but the drumbeat of it is coming from the media and party outsiders telling Dems what they need to do. Concerns haven’t shown up with fundraising…yet, anyway.
Not many are putting their names to it that I'm aware of.. which is understandable at this point.. but I've definitely read several articles citing anonymous elected Democrats who range from very concerned to saying they're ready for a change.

Neither of them have the Track record that Biden/Harris have. We know that Biden/Harris has created a strong and succesful administration. None of the others have Bidens knowlegde and experience. Especially with foreign policy
I think the question to ask there is, does the American public perceive Biden/Harris to have a strong, successful track record? It's basically impossible to strip away the partisanship from both sides to actually know the answer, but I think it's probably viewed as more of a mixed bag.

Not many are putting their names to it that I'm aware of.. which is understandable at this point.. but I've definitely read several articles citing anonymous elected Democrats who range from very concerned to saying they're ready for a change.

There isn’t any disagreement about the existence of concern, it’s about the immediate calls for Biden to step aside. I’m concerned and I expect most Democrats are concerned. Concerns can be addressed and quieted and that’s what I think a lot of people are waiting to see. If the campaign can’t satisfy those concerns, then changes have to be explored.

I don’t think the Democratic Party should rush to decide to dump an incumbent president until there’s been a chance to process what might be going on and how best to move forward.

The reason it was shocking to many people(mostly Democrat voters) is because the Democrat politicians, the media and the White House have been lying or covering for Biden's condition for 3.5 years.

The media knew the debate was so bad and unable to be blamed on right wing edited videos that they couldn't keep up the charade.
Correct.
Many people here had been viewing Biden through rose colored glasses but the split screen format finally forced them to see the reality. As you said they couldn't shift the focus to "that video is hosted by a bad Youtuber"...or "that video was edited by a bad blogger".
Is WAS...what it WAS and the usual dismissal tactics were not available due to the split screen reality.

The problem isn't the track record. No one who isn't supporting Trump is questioning the track record. They're questioning whether Biden is up to the task of continuing that track record for another 5 years. The poor debate should at minimum give pause before continuing to jump in with both feet at the convention. Waiting until after the convention would be too late.

There isn’t any disagreement about the existence of concern, it’s about the immediate calls for Biden to step aside. I’m concerned and I expect most Democrats are concerned. Concerns can be addressed and quieted and that’s what I think a lot of people are waiting to see. If the campaign can’t satisfy those concerns, then changes have to be explored.

I don’t think the Democratic Party should rush to decide to dump an incumbent president until there’s been a chance to process what might be going on and how best to move forward.
They definitely would need a plan.. but if he does need to be replaced you're in a race against time now and so to me it's fairly reasonable that this is flaring up like this in the immediate aftermath of that debate.

The problem isn't the track record. No one who isn't supporting Trump is questioning the track record. They're questioning whether Biden is up to the task of continuing that track record for another 5 years. The poor debate should at minimum give pause before continuing to jump in with both feet at the convention. Waiting until after the convention would be too late.
The track record isn't so strong that it's enough on its own to feel comfortable that it'll assuage concerns over Biden's cognitive ability.. is what I would say.

They definitely would need a plan.. but if he does need to be replaced you're in a race against time now and so to me it's fairly reasonable that this is flaring up like this in the immediate aftermath of that debate.

Time is very much a consideration, and the timing isn’t great no matter what happens.

I think what some of us are highlighting is the haste with which the media has run with the replacement narrative and how that’s good for corporate profits. It might feel like an impartial public service but we all saw what we saw. Nothing in the public’s interest is lost by acknowledging it was bad and first pressuring the campaign to address the matter and the rising concerns. “Biden must step aside” in the immediate wake is for clicks and dollars.

I just saw another Yahoo News story but rather than copy and paste I want to manually type in words of people who portray themselves as Biden supporters who now tool the time to make hand made signs and hold them up in a public setting.
Here are 4 sample signs..
1) "We Love YOU but IT'S TIME"
2) "Thank You...NEXT!..."
3) "PLEASE Drop Out For US"
4) "Step down for Democracy"
Many quoting me will want to deflect # 1 -3 and just mock the person who made the sign associated with #4
Please note that #1 -3 are valid and shared by many people all across this land.

Time is very much a consideration, and the timing isn’t great no matter what happens.

I think what some of us are highlighting is the haste with which the media has run with the replacement narrative and how that’s good for corporate profits. It might feel like an impartial public service but we all saw what we saw. Nothing in the public’s good is lost by acknowledging it was bad and pressuring the campaign to address the matter and the rising concerns. “Biden must step aside” in the immediate wake is for clicks and dollars.
Yeah, I can agree with that. I'm not ready to say unequivocally Biden must step aside at this moment. What I would say is that the idea of him stepping aside needs to be given consideration. They've got between now and the convention to decide whether the convention will be contested and go from there.

I just saw another Yahoo News story but rather than copy and paste I want to manually type in words of people who portray themselves as Biden supporters who now tool the time to make hand made signs and hold them up in a public setting.
Here are 4 sample signs..
1) "We Love YOU but IT'S TIME"
2) "Thank You...NEXT!..."
3) "PLEASE Drop Out For US"
4) "Step down for Democracy"
Many quoting me will want to deflect # 1 -3 and just mock the person who made the sign associated with #4
Please note that #1 -3 are valid and shared by many people all across this land.
Link?

I seriously doubt that the Republicans are pushing the story to get Biden to drop out. Why would they want Biden out especially after his debate performance? Trump's election chances went up even higher after the debate.

It's most likely Democrats who are pushing the story to get Biden to drop out because now they are worried Biden can't beat Trump.
It depends on the source as it is with every poll. Here's one where most of the respondent believed Trump won the debate,but it wasn't enough to change their vote.

I thin storyk what some of us are highlighting is the haste with which the media has run with the replacement narrative and how that’s good for corporate profits. It might feel like an impartial public service but we all saw what we saw. Nothing in the public’s interest is lost by acknowledging it was bad and first pressuring the campaign to address the matter and the rising concerns. “Biden must step aside” in the immediate wake is for clicks and dollars.
I'm sure it's definitely some of that but I also think it's probably a legitimate effort by some to bring pressure to the equation with the hope that Biden will recognize its in the best interest of the country for him to step aside. I wouldn't expect a decision like that immediately from Biden, but at least it's out there now as something that might be possible, which wasn't even a really a consideration on the left prior to Thursday.

So one 90 minute debate with no moderators to stop Trumps lies and while having a bad cold., overrules everything else? All the other good speaches he has done lately? Even the state of the union adresse only 6 months ago? I really dont get it - Dont you ever have one bad day? So you want to turn everything upside down and risk getting Trump back and having a total panick attack over 90 minutes when Biden has been solid for 4 years and even showed with his speech the day after, that he was ok.

I'm sure it's definitely some of that but I also think it's probably a legitimate effort by some to bring pressure to the equation with the hope that Biden will recognize its in the best interest of the country for him to step aside. I wouldn't expect a decision like that immediately from Biden, but at least it's out there now as something that might be possible, which wasn't even a really a consideration on the left prior to Thursday.

Isn’t first understanding what is going on necessary to determine if it’s best for the country that he step aside?

I think the people most likely to embrace that conclusion already didn’t think much of Biden and wanted another option.

There hasn’t been a collapse of support for Biden at this point, but three days isn’t enough time to assess what is going on and how to proceed.

Last edited:
So one 90 minute debate with no moderators to stop Trumps lies and while having a bad cold., overrules everything else? All the other good speaches he has done lately? Even the state of the union adresse only 6 months ago? I really dont get it - Dont you ever have one bad day? So you want to turn everything upside down and risk getting Trump back and having a total panick attack over 90 minutes when Biden has been solid for 4 years and even showed with his speech the day after, that he was ok.

Decline can happen quickly and it was already a legitimate concern with both these candidates. I witnessed it with my Dad recently. Lost in the panic about Biden is how unhinged and inarticulate Trump was, and has been.

I do think the campaign has to address this with urgency so that people can begin to decide for themselves if it was a bad night or something more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom