First presidential debate (9 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Donald Trump's niece has called her uncle's performance in his debate with President Joe Biden "apocalyptically disastrous."

On June 27, the Democratic incumbent and his Republican opponent went head-to-head in Atlanta for the first 2024 presidential debate. Since then, Biden has faced criticism for his debate performance, in which he stumbled over his words, lost his train of thought and was often difficult to hear.

In the aftermath of the debate, Mary Trump, a longtime critic of her uncle, has written a Substack post explaining her continued support of Biden. Though she said that "it would be absurd to pretend that President Joe Biden had a good debate," she added that Donald Trump should be facing calls to drop out of the race, too.

"Let's be honest about the performance of the other person on the stage who, if the metrics by which we're measuring success are honesty, policy, a vision for America, and the defense of democracy, had a debate so apocalyptically disastrous that I can't believe that not one pundit, not one Republican official (at least none I'm aware of) has called on Donald Trump to drop out of the race," Mary Trump wrote.

"If we're only going to count style over substance, I'll take hoarse and halting over hate-filled and unhinged every day of the week," Mary Trump continued.

The author went on to criticize CNN's Jake Tapper and Dana Bash, who moderated the debate, saying they allowed "Donald to steamroll the truth with an incessant stream of increasingly bizarre and dangerous lies."..........

She gets it.

Trump wasn’t good, he was just louder and obnoxious. He’s not a man of good ideas and he reminds people of that every time he’s in front of cameras.

Suuuure, it’s my reading comprehension (and not someone saying that even if Biden died they would vote for the Biden-Harris ticket).
    Which is a vote for Harris. If you can't see that, we might as well be speaking a different language. I tend to think you just can't admit you're wrong, which is unfortunate. I'll own up to my mistakes. Can you?

It’s not.
    If it's not, then explain precisely what your point was, because it sure looks more like a snarky statement than anything else.
    With that said I will step away from this thread, and see you all after debate number two (or after the next major brick goes threw the window). Take care everyone!
    Lol, really? Predictable if nothing else. Smh.

Over 70% want him to drop

That is untenable. Over 50% you could argue is a blip. Over 70%!?!? That is a full blown crisis

But polls are unreliable, don't mean anything, or whatever. I'm one who thinks that this is a legitimate issue. But we'll see what the DNC does.

But polls are unreliable, don't mean anything, or whatever. I'm one who thinks that this is a legitimate issue. But we'll see what the DNC does.

I don’t want that to be your takeaway from our conversation yesterday. Polling is increasingly vulnerable to factors that do pose challenges to accuracy and reliability, and not all polling is equal.

But collectively, polling can contribute to necessary assessments and indicate trends, when taken in context and with an understanding of flaws. I don’t know anybody who doesn’t think the debate was a concern and isn’t interested in gaining a clearer understanding of Biden’s health and ability. It’s just that some people are reserving judgement until a bigger picture forms. As has been pointed out, and why it was shocking to many people, that was a version of Biden that people weren’t prepared for, despite his well known traits.

I do think if Biden has to step aside, it’s going to be very difficult for Democrats to regroup this late into the process. That’s a big concern for me. Things can look great on the surface but we don’t know yet how a black female former prosecutor, or a white male west coast governor, will be received by undecided voters and in swing states. We know Biden has done well enough with those groups. Moving forward with him may very well prove to not be tenable, though.

Last edited:
    Just like I thought. Y'all accuse anyone y'all disagree with of trolling. So juvenile
    No, just those who post nonsense. If you post a legitimate point that I disagree with, I can and will respect that. See how I respond respectfully to others. And I don't think El is a troll at all. I thought the post he made was trollish. Most of his other posts I disagree with and don't think he's trolling, so...try again.

I don’t want that to be your takeaway from our conversation yesterday. Polling is increasingly vulnerable to factors that do pose challenges to accuracy and reliability, and not all polling is equal.

But collectively, polling can contribute to necessary assessments and indicate trends, when taken in context and with an understanding of flaws. I don’t know anybody who doesn’t think the debate was a concern and isn’t interested in gaining a clearer understanding of Biden’s health and ability. It’s just that some people are reserving judgement until a bigger picture forms. As has been pointed out, and why it was shocking to many people, that was a version of Biden that people weren’t prepared for, despite his well known traits.
    Fwiw, I didn't really say that because of your posts. It was more a sentiment of several posters. All I'm saying is there are a lot of people who are concerned and a lot of people open to changing candidates.
    I do think if Biden has to step aside, it’s going to be very difficult for Democrats to regroup this late into the process. That’s a big concern for me. Things can look great on the surface but we don’t know yet how a black female former prosecutor, or a white male west coast governor, will be received by undecided voters and in swing states. We know Biden has done well enough with those groups. Moving forward with him may very well prove to not be tenable, though.
    I'll just say, that it's on this side of the convention, they definitely can and do have time to set the stage for a contested convention. It's late enough as it is, sure, but it not at all too late.

If the convention were already completed, I'd definitely say that it wouldn't work to switch horses.

Tbf, if we are talking about cults, Biden could die the day before the election and his cult would still place write in votes for his corpse. 🧟‍♂️
    I'm not a Democrat but have no issue admitting that I would basically vote for whomever or whatever I thought would defeat Trump. Joe Biden, dead Biden, braindead Biden, bologna sandwich.. would literally pull the lever for any of them.

Fwiw, I didn't really say that because of your posts. It was more a sentiment of several posters. All I'm saying is there are a lot of people who are concerned and a lot of people open to changing candidates.

I'll just say, that it's on this side of the convention, they definitely can and do have time to set the stage for a contested convention. It's late enough as it is, sure, but it not at all too late.

If the convention were already completed, I'd definitely say that it wouldn't work to switch horses.

I’m not of the belief it can’t work, but whatever anybody thinks of Biden, the man, or his ability to continue in the race, pivoting from an incumbent candidate is going to be a major undertaking with challenges and risks.

Somebody pointed out in a Threads post that a lot of people are saying Democrats need to make a change but nobody has done a deep dive into how that will unfold. Easy to say, but there’s a lot that has to be considered.

Over 70% want him to drop

That is untenable. Over 50% you could argue is a blip. Over 70%!?!? That is a full blown crisis

how much of that is due to all the media coverage saying he should drop out?

This seems to be a repeating pattern

They spend 2 straight weeks saying 24-7 how bad the economy is then ask people "How do you feel about the economy?" then report "A lot of people think the economy is bad"

I’m not of the belief it can’t work, but whatever anybody thinks of Biden, the man, or his ability to continue in the race, pivoting from an incumbent candidate is going to be a major undertaking with challenges and risks.

Somebody pointed out in a Threads post that a lot of people are saying Democrats need to make a change but nobody has done a deep dive into how that will unfold. Easy to say, but there’s a lot that has to be considered.
    If you're of the belief that Biden is in some (serious) trouble.. like I tend to think is probably the case.. then that roll of the dice into the unknown seems fairly justifiable imo.

I tend to believe it would create some excitement for the Democrats, something they desperately need right now, and maybe get some people to reassess who dismiss the notion of voting for Biden.

If Biden stays in and wins, great.. if he stays in and loses it'll have been fairly obvious in retrospect that he was a sinking ship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom