First presidential debate (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

Donald Trump's niece has called her uncle's performance in his debate with President Joe Biden "apocalyptically disastrous."

On June 27, the Democratic incumbent and his Republican opponent went head-to-head in Atlanta for the first 2024 presidential debate. Since then, Biden has faced criticism for his debate performance, in which he stumbled over his words, lost his train of thought and was often difficult to hear.

In the aftermath of the debate, Mary Trump, a longtime critic of her uncle, has written a Substack post explaining her continued support of Biden. Though she said that "it would be absurd to pretend that President Joe Biden had a good debate," she added that Donald Trump should be facing calls to drop out of the race, too.

"Let's be honest about the performance of the other person on the stage who, if the metrics by which we're measuring success are honesty, policy, a vision for America, and the defense of democracy, had a debate so apocalyptically disastrous that I can't believe that not one pundit, not one Republican official (at least none I'm aware of) has called on Donald Trump to drop out of the race," Mary Trump wrote.

"If we're only going to count style over substance, I'll take hoarse and halting over hate-filled and unhinged every day of the week," Mary Trump continued.

The author went on to criticize CNN's Jake Tapper and Dana Bash, who moderated the debate, saying they allowed "Donald to steamroll the truth with an incessant stream of increasingly bizarre and dangerous lies."..........

Why it matters: Dr. Jill Biden; his younger sister, Valerie Biden; and 85-year-old Ted Kaufman, the president's longtime friend and constant adviser — plus a small band of White House advisers — are the only Biden deciders.

This decades-long kitchen cabinet operates as an extended family, council of elders and governing oligarchy. These allies alone hold sway over decisions big and small in Biden's life and presidency.

...Behind the scenes: If Biden stays in, it's for the same reason he decided to run again: He and the oligarchy believe he has a much better chance of beating former President Trump than Vice President Harris does.

...The intrigue: We're told Democratic congressional leaders are one outside force that could bring pressure on Biden.

They're getting calls and texts from panicked lawmakers who fear Biden's weakness could cost the party House and Senate seats in November.

"This is no longer about Joe Biden's family or his emotions," said an adviser in constant touch with the West Wing. "This is about our country. It's an utter f***ing disaster that has to be addressed."

It'll take a while for the oligarchy to process the stakes, this adviser argued, "but there will be a reckoning."

...Top Democrats saw what America saw live, on national TV, vividly and unforgettably. They can't unsee it. And they fear voters won't unsee it.

No longer can they blame critics or edited footage or media exaggeration.

Every misstep, verbal hiccup or frozen face will zip across social media and TV, reminding voters Biden will be 86 years old at the end of his second term.

Biden's horrible debate performance was supposedly negated by all the lies Trump said. Biden lied too.

I'm surprised to see Dale. He usually only pokes his head out to fact check Trump and usually stays silent on Biden.

Well I guess that a two hour debate against a serial liar overrules 4 years of hard and successfull work for the american people (irony may be appliable)

Trump and the MAGA nation know they cant beat Biden so they are doing everything to get him to drop out...

I had a relative who won an election after he had been killed in a plane crash. You may have heard of him, his name was Mel Carnahan. His corpse beat John Ashcroft.

Meanwhile for (R)

There are more than two options on the ballot though. These two candidates aren’t the only two candidates that one can vote for.

As for me, I’m going to read up on the other party candidates. Surely someone out there can’t be worse than these two options.
    No other candidate is viable. I tried voting for Ross Perot once. That didn't go well.

I feel the same,but I feel a tad more confident than you I believe. Biden screwed the pooch last night. There is no easier way to put
    it. Saying he had a cold won't cut it. That said, I believe women will decide this vote. A majority doesn''t want christian nationalist
    men telling them what they can do with their body. I also believe enough men feel the same way to ensure Trump loses.

Yup, this is my take as well.....I just refuse to believe that this country would elect a wanna be tin pot dictator again....He lost soundly in the last election, I don't think the Dobbs decision is going to help him in this one....

1719742618211.png

1719741135368.png

Are you too dim to understand the difference between saying I'll vote for the Biden-Harris ticket and I'll vote for Biden's corpse? Of course you're not that dim.

You know exactly what I said, but the truth of what I said doesn't fit into your childish game playing, so you keep blatantly lying about what I actually said so you can keep playing your childish little games.

You know that I specifically said Biden-Harris instead of just Biden for the obvious reason that Harris would still be very much alive and become president if Biden had died. You know I wouldn't be voting for a corpse, but you desperately want to seem more clever than you are, so you lie to set yourself up to seem clever. And you're so not clever that you're clueless as to how not clever it makes you look.

It doesn't reflect well on you that you keep lying about something that is so obviously not true. I have no idea what stupid games you think you're winning and it doesn't matter to me. The more you do it, the less people will care about or believe what you say, which is all good in my book. As the saying goes, play stupid games win stupid prizes.
    Your words, not mine.

Well I guess that a two hour debate against a serial liar overrules 4 years of hard and successfull work for the american people (irony may be appliable)

Trump and the MAGA nation know they cant beat Biden so they are doing everything to get him to drop out...
    Trump can't beat Biden? Hahaha ...now that the nation saw what I have know for awhile, Trump will beat Biden.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom