First presidential debate (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

You asked us to guess what they had in common. I'm asking you to tell me why it matters what those men have in common? Like I said, if only wealthy white non-elected men were calling for Biden to end his run, then it would have interesting meaning. If it were true, then one could surmise some motivations that don't match the electorate, but that's not the case. You said I misinterpreted everything you said, so that's why I'm asking what message were you trying to send with your post?
    @SamAndreas would you like to set this guy straight on who asked people to guess what the people in the photo you posted have in common. He seems really confused and in need of help.

ETA: Nevermind MT15 helped him get himself sorted.

You asked us to guess what they had in common. I'm asking you to tell me why it matters what those men have in common? Like I said, if only wealthy white non-elected men were calling for Biden to end his run, then it would have interesting meaning. If it were true, then one could surmise some motivations that don't match the electorate, but that's not the case. You said I misinterpreted everything you said, so that's why I'm asking what message were you trying to send with your post?
    It was me who posted it. As to my "message",,, it wasn't a message, it was raw data insofar as images, and a question on the tweet, which as I recall I repeated above the tweet because I do that. It's a part of my posting style to say something when I post a link.

As to an expansion of that tweet I later added a Congress Critter list in a new post which exhibits that same trait.

Demographically Hollywood critters who want to pitch Biden, look remarkably similar to the Congress Critters who want to do the same. Here's that later post with the Congress Critters, and there I tabulated that list demographically.

I even explained what a WASP is:

I have no idea what this about Obama is.

That which I posted before was media and hollywood white men, no women, no people of color. No people of average means. Hmm.

Have you noticed that there's a demographic problem here. Here are the calls for Biden to step down being made by Congress critters, a list that PBS is keeping up to date. In the last hour one name was removed from that list. It had been 21 calling for him to step down.

Looks like 4 women, and 16 men. There's a Japanese American man, a Latino man who might be Catholic, all the rest of them, 18 out of 20 are WASPs.

Maybe there would be an additional Catholic or two in there, I didn't see any sign that a Jew is in that list. The fellow from Hawaii is a WASP, not Pacific Islander. No Native Americans.

All but two are WASPs. White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

However if you look at the Congress people who stand behind Biden, that list looks like America. Nicely proportioned demographically including WASPs.

Called on Biden to step down (20)​

Rep. Brittany Petterson (Colorado) — July 12
    Rep. Eric Sorenson (Illinois) — July 11
    Rep. Scott Peters* (California) — July 11
    Rep. Jim Himes (Connecticut) — July 11
    Rep. Ed Case* (Hawaii) — July 11
    Rep. Brad Schneider* (Illinois) — July 11
    Rep. Greg Stanton (Arizona) — July 11
    Rep. Hillary Scholten (Michigan) — July 11
    Sen. Peter Welch (Vermont) — July 10
    Rep. Earl Blumenauer* (Oregon) — July 10
    Rep. Pat Ryan (New York) — July 10
    Rep. Mikie Sherrill* (New Jersey) — July 9
    Rep. Mark Takano* (California) — July 7
    Rep. Adam Smith (Washington) — July 7
    Rep. Joe Morelle* (New York) — July 7
    Rep. Angie Craig (Minnesota) — July 6
    Rep. Mike Quigley (Illinois) — July 5
    Rep. Seth Moulton (Massachusetts) — July 4
    Rep. Raúl Grijalva (Arizona) — July 3
    Rep. Lloyd Doggett (Texas) — July 2

It's a subset of Congress, I said was "demographically balanced."

I didn't say anything about the demographics of Congress overall. Overall there are too many WASPs, although not as overloaded with WASPs as that short list of who want to dump on Biden.

It’s not just wasps who want Biden to drop from the ticket. 40% of Black voters feel that way.

There are many public people who won’t go against Biden in public regardless of what they really think because they feel a personal obligation to the man.

Listening to Biden now, this is the best he’s sounded in awhile. Loud, confident Joe is a better version than softspoken grandpa Joe.

Joe’s doing really good so far in Michigan. We need that every day. I just don’t think that is a realistic expectation.
    Hopefully he will prove you and other doubters wrong. And calm my anxiety as well. Honestly, it would be best at this point if the candidate who won the primaries can be the actual candidate. Anything else gets very messy very fast and lawsuits follow. Lord knows the MAGA idiots are going to contest the election anyway, we don’t need something weird going on.

The difference is striking.
    Maybe they found the drug they were looking for? 🙂

Or maybe he has now fully recovered from his cold? Or maybe, as some seniors were discussing on Twitter, they gave him a dose of cold medicine the night of the debate and it had an unexpected effect. Some of the older ladies were saying they couldn’t take the same OTC cold meds they used to now that they’re older - it causes a mental fog that they didn’t get when they were younger.

I don’t know. Just hope it stays this way.

It’s not just wasps who want Biden to drop from the ticket. 40% of Black voters feel that way.

There are many public people who won’t go against Biden in public regardless of what they really think because they feel a personal obligation to the man.
    Sam, I don't believe everything I see and hear, that 40% feels alien.

I think it will be about 6% to 8%.

The Michigan Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist II was really impressive and inspirational at Biden's Detroit campaign stop.

So was Octavia Spencer, but everyone knows that about her already.

It was me who posted it. As to my "message",,, it wasn't a message, it was raw data insofar as images, and a question on the tweet, which as I recall I repeated above the tweet because I do that. It's a part of my posting style to say something when I post a link.

As to an expansion of that tweet I later added a Congress Critter list in a new post which exhibits that same trait.

Demographically Hollywood critters who want to pitch Biden, look remarkably similar to the Congress Critters who want to do the same. Here's that later post with the Congress Critters, and there I tabulated that list demographically.

I even explained what a WASP is:
    So do you think their opinions don’t have merit because of their race and gender?

I didn’t get to see the Michigan rally, glad to hear Biden seemed fine. I did just see this, the person who replied to her has a point - the press having failed to push Joe out - will probably do a turn and cover his “comeback” some. Also, they hopefully do a turn toward covering Trump now. His rambling mess when he talks is worth some scrutiny.

I don’t know if Rubin is right, but it would be nice to focus on Trump for a while.

Another point made by someone else kind of echoed what SamA said in here. I think the poster was Ron Filipowski, and he said something like - I wondered how Biden was going to get the press to cover his campaign events. Now we know. 🙂

I didn’t get to see the Michigan rally, glad to hear Biden seemed fine. I did just see this, the person who replied to her has a point - the press having failed to push Joe out - will probably do a turn and cover his “comeback” some. Also, they hopefully do a turn toward covering Trump now. His rambling mess when he talks is worth some scrutiny.

I don’t know if Rubin is right, but it would be nice to focus on Trump for a while.

Another point made by someone else kind of echoed what SamA said in here. I think the poster was Ron Filipowski, and he said something like - I wondered how Biden was going to get the press to cover his campaign events. Now we know. 🙂

I just finished watching it on youtube. It was a very inspirational and encouraging event. The other speakers were all dynamic. When a pastor was introducing Biden, the crowd started chanting "Don't you quit." The pastor turned to Biden who was behind her and told Biden what seemed like a genuine, heartfelt, "Don't you quit."

Biden and the crowd responded to a protestor. Couldn't hear what she was saying. The crowd chanted "4 more years" at her but not in an aggressive way. Biden got the crowd to quiet down and said he understood the protestors passion. That moment was such a contrast to who and what Trump and the Republicans are all about. We know how Trump and his minions treat protestors.

Biden called out the press for letting Trump skate. The crowd started to boo the press and Biden stopped them. Biden saved his best for last. He spent the end of his speech hammering Trump on things that only Trump and his minions will try to deny. He took some personal snipes at Trump that are going to eat at Trump. It was the best speech I've ever seen Biden make based on substance. His style was good too. He seems at his best when he's speaking from passion rather than data, which is a good thing because people resonate with passion more than data.

The thing that really stands out in contrast to Trump and his rallies. This was filled with love and community as opposed to the hate and subservience of Trump's rallies.

Here's the link for anyone that wants to watch it.

Last edited:

Keep in mind the Republican convention is just a few days away, so I'm sure a lot of eyes are gonna be on them next week.

New polling on Biden, and potential candidates:

Biden 50% Trump 48%.
    Newsom 50% Trump 48%.
    Whitmer 49% Trump 49%.
    Harris 50% Trump 49%.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom