First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

We have the Elias Law Firm aligned with us. The are formattable, they have a track record of having almost all wins spanning lots of cases in all of the states. My thought is that will not be a problem. But there will be something.

My concern is that lawsuits might be used to try to convince voters not to vote, because their votes might not count. We need to brainstorm how to overcome that from the ground up. We need to take on that task and not trust those at the top of society to handle it.

Last edited:
    The starting point is getting a nominee. If the convention ends with a new nominee, then they have time to get on every state's ballot.

What remains to be seen is if anyone gets enough votes at the convention to win the nomination. It's not a first past the post election, in which whoever gets the most votes wins the nomination. Just like with the Electoral College, one candidate has to get certain number of delegates votes. A candidate has to get at least 1,968 delegates votes to win the nomination.

There are a lot a possible scenarios in which no candidate gets enough votes to secure a nomination. If you'd like, I'll detail some of those out later, but I'll be brief for tonight.

It's also possible that in the first round of voting Biden, even after dropping out, secures the nomination. No one reading this should confuse possible with probable. If enough delegates were to vote vote for Biden to give him the nomination, then Trump wins. That's because there's no way Biden can win at this point and there would be so much chaos and controversy if Biden was still replaced after securing the nomination, that no replacement could win. The spoiled brats of society have created a situation that we have to give them what they want in order to survive. I think the majority of Americans won't forget or forgive the spoiled brats, but we'll have to wait to deal with them after we've dealt with fascism first.

If everything goes smoothly and a candidate quickly wins the nomination with nearly complete unity, then we're in business and can get on the ballots in every state. We will still have to overcome lawsuit after lawsuit designed to demotivate people from voting by making them doubt their vote will even count.

What we need to do today is start encouraging and preparing people to vote defiantly, even if they think their vote want matter. We need to start telling voters to be prepared to vote defiantly against Trump and fascism, even if we know our votes don't matter or will be thrown out. Don't vote based on winning, vote based on giving a double middle finger to Trump and the fascist. Vote so that if we do go down, then by god we go down fighting with our boots on and our sword in hand.
    Biden still polls far above any other democratic candidate...

Biden still polls far above any other democratic candidate...
    I know, but some of the people with influence keep ignoring that and if they keep attacking Biden all the way to election day, I don't think Biden can win.

Biden is a lot more liked and loved than those with influence will admit, so I don't think it's reasonable to assume the delegates are all going to vote for who they're told to vote for.

If Biden is still refusing to step down next week and the Democratic leadership and donors accept that, then I think Biden can actually benefit from all of this.

I don't think the spoiled brats are going to stop acting like spoiled brats, especially with Trump and our foreign adversaries keep the chaos and panic stirring.

This is all a unnecessary self-inflicted disadvantage, that gives Trump what he wants and puts him in a better position than he should be in.

If the news outlets and their unnamed sources just wanted Biden out, maybe now that they are going to get what they way, they'll start going after Trump and the Republicans.

Yesterday is the best we’re going to get from Joe at this point. That is his ceiling.

There will be more days like the debate between now and the election.

It is irresponsible to have him on the ticket, regardless of what the idiots and deluded say.

I am afraid that they will just move on to the next candidate who will be in an even weaker position due to not having the same track record as Biden has
    That's definitely a valid fear. Regardless what anyone says, this isn't an easy decision. I don't know for sure what the best option is in terms of beating Trump, which really should be all that matters at this point. If that's with Biden, so be it, if it's with someone else, let's get to it.

The longer this drags on, the better it is for Trump.

But no matter if Biden stays in or steps down and if he steps down no matter who the nominee is if Donald Trump wins I first, foremost and nearly exclusively will blame the people who voted for Donald Trump

The group I would hold second most responsible is the people who didn’t vote, but should have

The people who recognize, know and have said how terrible a second Trump presidency would be, the people who are fully aware of how big a threat a Trump administration would be, the people who know how amazingly and singularly unfit and undeserving Trump is for the office of President, the people who were fully planning on voting against Trump but:

“If Biden is on the ballot I’m not voting”

Or

“If Biden is not on the ballot I’m not voting”

Yeah, those people will deserve a shirt ton of blame too

And neither group should be allowed to shift that blame elsewhere

If a second Trump administration is is every bit as awful as we feared (or worse)

The people who voted for Trump don’t get to say “I didn’t know if would be this bad”

The people who should have voted but didn’t don't get to say “if the Dems did this different I would have voted”

Last edited:
    The group I would hold second most responsible is the people who didn’t vote, but should have

The people who recognize, know and have said how terrible a second Trump presidency would be, the people who are fully aware of how big a threat a Trump administration would be, the people who know how amazingly and singularly unfit and undeserving Trump is for the office of President, the people who were fully planning on voting against Trump but:

Or

And neither group should be allowed to backtrack

If a second Trump administration is is every bit as awful as we feared (or worse)

The people who voted for Trump don’t get to say “I didn’t know if would be this bad”

The people who should have voted but didn’t don't get to say “if the Dems did this different I would have voted”
    At this point, I'm waiting to see who it will be. Then I'll start putting energy into supporting them.

The thing that I'm most concerned about now is having an orderly resolution that ends with a single candidate that everyone unites and rallies around. I don't think it's a given that is how this will play out.

Biden's camp is who started the "elite white" talk. Biden is the one who sought out the CBC support and theirs alone.
    No, I have been reading what black people have been saying on Twitter ever since the media frenzy began. They saw it right away. And you just so glibly say things you cannot possibly know or that a reasonable person would be able to discern is not true - I bolded that part above. Clearly untrue.
    Yes.

When you talk to people and say opinions do you always preface it with “my opinion is” or do they just understand that it’s your opinion?
    I try to be respectful. Everybody here wants the same thing. We just disagree about the wisdom of what a few political pundits, big donors and politicians are trying to do right now. The childish insults need to stop.

I try to be respectful. Everybody here wants the same thing. We just disagree about the wisdom of what a few political pundits, big donors and politicians are trying to do right now. The childish insults need to stop.

Sorry i can't.

Support for Biden at this moment is support for Trump.

No it is definitely not.

Yes it is.

Biden on the ticket guarantees a MAGA takeover of all three branches of government.

Biden off the ticket might end the same, but .0001% chance is better than 0 chance.

Or

And neither group should be allowed to shift that blame elsewhere

Totally true. I see people voting for whoever the nominee ends up being. What I do think is that the Democratic Party will end up doing a lot of damage to people who aren’t of the opinion that Biden should be pushed aside even though he won the nomination. To me, the only reason to force a candidate out who has legitimately won should be a complete failure to be able to run. A catastrophic event, medical or otherwise. People have widely varying ideas about this. However, Biden isn’t senile. He is completing a totally successful first term. He is fulfilling his duties.

No it isn't.

You know you don't know what you're trying to convince yourself you know. You're trying to convince yourself, because you're terrified of admitting to yourself you don't know what will happen. Just like the rest of us don't know what will happen.

That's why you get so hostile toward people who disagree with you. It's also why you can't stop yourself from insulting people who disagree with you. You feel threatened by people disagreeing with you, so you lash out at them.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom