First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

The article very clearly stated that it was planned and co-ordinated and that speeches are pre-written.

You've said dozens of times that top level donors were pushing for Biden to drop out.

There are reports showing that big money donors were offering to donate to the campaigns of anyone that would come out calling for Biden to drop out.

The planning is coordinated all right - by big donors. They’re not listening to their constituents at all, I don’t think.​

Knowing and saying some of that yourself, you chose to respond to the comment above by childishly hurling an unhinged "Blue Maga" insult at her.

CAVEAT: If I say they, them or other terms that refer to any group of people, I'm not talking about anyone on this board. I very clearly state when I'm talking about people on this board or a specific person on this board.

===========================================

I think the way they are going about trying to force Biden out is a huge mistake and that Harris is an unknown risk. I hope that I'm wrong and that this is not a catastrophic miscalculation and misstep.

If Obama and Pelosi at some point both confirm they support this, that will give me some comfort, because they are both shrewd at playing the political game and they have more information than any of us have.

It's become a self-fulfilling prophesy at this point that Biden can't win. The people that want him out have torn him down worst than Trump ever could and they will not stop tearing him apart if he stays in the race. They would ruin everything for everyone if they don't get their way.

There's a segment of our society that I don't think is worth trying to save from fascism, but the majority of our society is, so I will keep on supporting the fight against it no matter what things wicked this way may come from these rash choices and actions.

Last edited:
    Goodness to make a statement like that, and then link to Politico. In 2012 we called Politico, Romney Campaign Headquarters.

I found a very positive panel interview from Michigan, 3 women out of 7 changed their mind from the last time they met.

After today's presser 6 out of 7 now think he should stay in the race. Only one remains who say he ought to quit.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/11/poli...onference-voter-reaction-tuchman-ac360-digvid
    I'd actually very much like to see the delegates flip off the donor and political class and all vote for Biden. Not out of loyalty or admiration for Biden, just because I don't like ever rewarding this type of boorish, entitled behavior. We're about to see a few people gloating as delighted as flies on a cowpatty, completely oblivious by choice from the risks that comes with this action.

I have never in my life wanted to be more wrong about anything, than I want to be wrong about how I think this all likely ends.

I think his foreign policy knowledge was evident, and clearly leagues deeper than Trump would ever have even if he tried (which he is too lazy to bother with). But putting form and style over substance is what the average American voter does.
    At least that's what we're constantly told that the American voter does. I have my doubts that the majority of Americans are that way. I think we may be told that so that the majority of us who aren't that way accept that's the way it is, so that we don't push back on it.

He said that, and then called on his strongest support: The Black Caucus.
    And they clearly without hesitation or caveats endorsed Biden.

So, maybe just maybe, some of this does have to do with white elites focused only on what white elites want.

I'm white by the way and I see the undeniable and irrefutable amount of white privilege, white influence and white disregard that flows through every aspect of our society.

You missed the part that talked about the delegates being loyal to Biden.
    Listen to what you just said. Delegates are loyal to Biden. Some of them might just defiantly vote for Biden because of how he's been treated, even if Biden asks them not to.

Some are legally going to have to vote for Biden no matter what Biden asks them.

The nomination is not a first past the post election. A certain number of delegates have to be reached and there's nothing Biden can do to guarantee that the convention doesn't end without a nominee.

I sincerely and with reservation hope that things go as smoothly as you think they will, but you're still making the mistake of thinking you know what will happen when on one, including you can possibly know that. Here's to hoping that you're right.
    This is not even up for debate.
    You're wrong again. It's very much open for debate no matter what you proclaim.

You sure have a lot of authoritarian tendencies, trying to tell people what they can and can't do, and what they should and shouldn't do.

Authoritarians are the most insecure people on the planet, don't you know. That's why they're obsessed with trying to control other people. It's a sign of weakness, not strength.

It's what you say is, "not a good look."

It's why people say Biden can gets decide if there is an open primary or if Harris takes over.
    Possible, but pure speculation with no guarantees that's how it plays out. I hope you're right that it all goes that smoothly.

It's his decision because of that fact.
    Nope, it's a possible outcome, but Biden does not have the actual power to make it happen. He needs delegates to agree to it and they just might do that, but there's not guarantee they will. I hope you're right you're right that it will all go smoothly.

I won't argue you with you and LA-LA on this.
    You won't, because you can't refute the actual facts of the matter and "try as you may and try as you might" you can not distract us away from the facts and realities. You really hate that, because trying to distract people from the actual truth is how you operate.

You are wrong if you don't agree.
    Nah, buddy. That's not how reality works. You are wrong and what's eating at you and making you act like such a petulant little child is that you know there's nothing you can say that's going to get me to stop pointing out your wrongness every time your wrong.

You've also figured out I can't be bullied either. For the record, I only ever get personal with you after you take a couple of personal swipes at me.

I said he can ask them to support Harris, they're loyal, they probably would go with it.

But that's not negotiating from a position of power.
    It's baffling that he can't understand that Biden asking them is not the same thing as making them.

Biden can ask and they might very well do what Biden asks, but there is absolutely no guarantee that Biden they will agree to whatever Biden asks.

He assumes the delegates will agree to whatever Biden asks and he confuses assuming with knowing. He does that a lot and when it's pointed out to him, he starts insulting people and telling them to shut up.

That's prepubescent emotional behavior.

Last edited:
    And they clearly without hesitation or caveats endorsed Biden.

So, maybe just maybe, some of this does have to do with white elites focused only on what white elites want.

I'm white by the way and I see the undeniable and irrefutable amount of white privilege, white influence and white disregard that flows through every aspect of our society.

According to MSNBC, the elite behind the move to get rid of Joe is black. His name is Barack Obama.

It's so cynical and disgusting to try and make this about race.

According to MSNBC, the elite behind the move to get rid of Joe is black. His name is Barack Obama.
    I'll sincerely believe it when I hear it directly from Obama's lips. I hope that it is true.

Every unsolicited accusation is a confession.

You made it about race when you accused Biden of seeking out the endorsement of the Black and Hispanic caucuses just to play the race card. People in both of those caucuses voluntarily publicly supported Biden before he went to the two caucus leaders.

The fact that you jumped straight to seeing that as playing the race without considering he was just going to his political allies says everything about you.

You can only see it it terms of race, because you... let me just say again, every unsolicited accusation is a confession.

I'll sincerely believe it when I hear it directly from Obama's lips. I hope that it is true.

Every unsolicited accusation is a confession.

You made it about race when you accused Biden of seeking out the endorsement of the Black and Hispanic caucuses just to play the race card. People in both of those caucuses voluntarily publicly supported Biden before he went to the two caucus leaders.

The fact that you jumped straight to seeing that as playing the race without considering he was just going to his political allies says everything about you.

You can only see it it terms of race, because you... let me just say again, every unsolicited accusation is a confession.

This is funny.

How this conversation went.

Me: Biden is making this about race by trying to make it divide between "elite white" vs the CBC.

LA-LA: You are a disgusting racist.

You lost the plot a long time ago.

Biden's camp is who started the "elite white" talk. Biden is the one who sought out the CBC support and theirs alone. Why would you do that unless you wanted to make a race play?

To stem the debate backlash, Biden quickly staged a phone call with members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC), perhaps his strongest support base in the Capitol, but not other groups or the full Democratic Caucus.

Pelosi, some Democrats said, is giving voice to other lawmakers who felt like the decision regarding Biden’s future was being rammed down their throats without a chance to weigh in.

It's a gross move. I'm not a racist for calling Biden's political opportunist slimy self out on it. He thought he could use them as a shield.

Last edited:
    This is funny.
    What's tragically funny J-Donk is you never learn. You're barking up the wrong tree with me, son.

You accused @MT15 of being Blue Maga for essentially quoting what an article said and what you yourself have repeatedly said.

I pointed out to you that it was absurd and contradictory of you to accuse and insult MT15 of being Blue Maga for saying something about elite donors that you yourself have repeatedly said.

Then someone else made a comment about elites and you replied to them with this:

He said that, and then called on his strongest support: The Black Caucus. It was a desperate play to portray the division as rich white guys vs minorities.

It was you, not me that changed the discussion from elites to white elites. I responded to what you said above by saying that given the undeniable white privilege in our society, white elitism probably played some part in it.

Then you came back at me with this:

So I rightfully and correctly pointed out that you were the one who brought race into the discussion, out of nowhere and with no justification for it.

I then rightfully and correctly pointed out that you were falsely accusing me of making the discussion about race, when in fact, right there for everyone to see, it was you that made it about race.

Hence, your accusation was actually a confession on your part. You can scream and holler all the denials you want, because it doesn't matter. You're pathetic, petty, petulant insults don't matter to me at all.

All that matters is that the truth, that you made the discussion about race and you falsely and insultingly accused me of being the one who made it about race, is right there in the permanent record for everyone to see. That's all that matters.

Do you always state your opinion as fact in your everyday life?

Yes.

When you talk to people and say opinions do you always preface it with “my opinion is” or do they just understand that it’s your opinion?

I think the way they are going about trying to force Biden out is a huge mistake and that Harris is an unknown risk. I hope that I'm wrong and that this is not a catastrophic miscalculation and misstep.

If Obama and Pelosi at some point both confirm they support this, that will give me some comfort, because they are both shrewd at playing the political game and they have more information than any of us have.

It's become a self-fulfilling prophesy at this point that Biden can't win. The people that want him out have torn him down worst than Trump ever could and they will not stop tearing him apart if he stays in the race. They would ruin everything for everyone if they don't get their way.

There's a segment of our society that I don't think is worth trying to save from fascism, but the majority of our society is, so I will keep on supporting the fight against it no matter what things wicked this way may come from these rash choices and actions.

Idiotic takes like this will guarantee total MAGA control over the government.

Idiotic takes like this will guarantee total MAGA control over the government.
    Just the opposite, amigo. Responses like yours are the problem.

What I said was sincere, well reasoned and thought out. I didn't insult anyone, I didn't summarily dismiss what anyone said and I acknowledged that I don't know the things I don't know.

You not being able to read, understand and rationally respond to what I wrote, because you can see past whatever is going on for you, is the epitome of exactly what is dragging us into ruination.

You despise people who dare to disagree with you and you get vicious with anyone who dares so. I admit that if someone hits me with something, I'm going to hit them right back with it. That includes, love, kindness, respect and empathy. You'd like me a lot more if you would disagree with me in a more agreeable way. It's your choice, brother.

I asked before and got no answer :)

Given the fact that the republicans have stoked most election official post around the country
    Given the fact that the republicans have filled a lot of judiciary positions around the country
    Given the fact that the republicans owns the supreme court.
    Given the fact that there were no serious contender
    How many democratic candidates can even RUN in every single state?

If Biden gets out - how is it possible to even ensure that a candidate can actually BE on the ballot.? I really think that this is the actual "Plan" to get Trump back to the WH.
    The starting point is getting a nominee. If the convention ends with a new nominee, then they have time to get on every state's ballot.

What remains to be seen is if anyone gets enough votes at the convention to win the nomination. It's not a first past the post election, in which whoever gets the most votes wins the nomination. Just like with the Electoral College, one candidate has to get certain number of delegates votes. A candidate has to get at least 1,968 delegates votes to win the nomination.

There are a lot a possible scenarios in which no candidate gets enough votes to secure a nomination. If you'd like, I'll detail some of those out later, but I'll be brief for tonight.

It's also possible that in the first round of voting Biden, even after dropping out, secures the nomination. No one reading this should confuse possible with probable. If enough delegates were to vote vote for Biden to give him the nomination, then Trump wins. That's because there's no way Biden can win at this point and there would be so much chaos and controversy if Biden was still replaced after securing the nomination, that no replacement could win. The spoiled brats of society have created a situation that we have to give them what they want in order to survive. I think the majority of Americans won't forget or forgive the spoiled brats, but we'll have to wait to deal with them after we've dealt with fascism first.

If everything goes smoothly and a candidate quickly wins the nomination with nearly complete unity, then we're in business and can get on the ballots in every state. We will still have to overcome lawsuit after lawsuit designed to demotivate people from voting by making them doubt their vote will even count.

What we need to do today is start encouraging and preparing people to vote defiantly, even if they think their vote want matter. We need to start telling voters to be prepared to vote defiantly against Trump and fascism, even if we know our votes don't matter or will be thrown out. Don't vote based on winning, vote based on giving a double middle finger to Trump and the fascist. Vote so that if we do go down, then by god we go down fighting with our boots on and our sword in hand.

Yeah, A billionaire, media clogoamants, and congress critters are undermining my and your franchise to vote. I'm miffed about it.

Notice I didn't mention the fellows here who are also trying to undermine my franchise. I'm not miffed about them. I've been very successfully keeping them busy here, so they're not out there on the streets talking to undecided voters, souring them for the general election.

I couldn't do much to help, but I was happy to pitch in and do that for Biden.

You've been helping too. Helping a lot.
    Yeah, probably would have been good to point out when I talk about spoiled brats, I'm not talking about anyone on this board. I'm talking about the spoiled brats at the top of the American caste system. Some, not all, of the billionaires and the political class.

Call me John Paul Jones Jr., cause baby, you ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm still on the learning curve on some project ideas I have.

It just occurred to me to ask here. Is there anyone here who has experience with capturing face motions/expressions and using it to animate a head from a photo image? What I'm going to do won't deceive or misinform anyone. It'll obviously be not real. If anyone can give me some advice or point me in the right direction to speed up my learning curve, I'd greatly appreciate it. Just send me a private message.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom