First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

The GOP came to that conclusion long before Trump.
    True, it’s just maddening to see democrats doing the same thing. Hell, these donors may not even be democrats I guess. Just people who want to buy power and nullify primaries.

Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they are unreasonable.
    In THIS case it does. Anyone who unwaveringly supports Biden being President until Jan 2029 instead of Harris is not being realistic. Everyone should be open to who will get the most votes for your side of the aisle . President Biden and his running mate "Vice President Trump" is not your side's best ticket for November.

Blue MAGA

Here is something closer to the truth. Blue states are now battlegrounds, and the congress people in those states are doing whatever it takes.

Goodness to make a statement like that, and then link to Politico. In 2012 we called Politico, Romney Campaign Headquarters.

I found a very positive panel interview from Michigan, 3 women out of 7 changed their mind from the last time they met.

After today's presser 6 out of 7 now think he should stay in the race. Only one remains who say he ought to quit.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/11/poli...onference-voter-reaction-tuchman-ac360-digvid

Blue MAGA

Here is something closer to the truth. Blue states are now battlegrounds, and the congress people in those states are doing whatever it takes.

You know, it seems to me that someone who will loudly proclaim that Sanders got screwed by the party would recognize when the party is doing the same thing to someone else. But it doesn’t matter if you get what you want.

You pick and choose which polls you want to believe and then chastise anyone who tries to have a different opinion. I post studies and you ignore them.

When a conspiracy theory fits your narrative - you run with it. But if it doesn’t fit your narrative you call people names.

Somebody here fits the profile of what you call me, but it isn’t me. It’s you.

All of you all who are critical are putting form over substance. Who cares if he speaks slowly, or hesitates? He still has a speech impediment, which may be getting harder to control with aging.

Did anyone hear what he said about talking to Putin, before the invasion? I only listened for a little bit, but I did catch that story and hadn’t heard it before. He said Putin was making the case to him that Ukraine should never be in NATO, and his response was = (going from memory) you are asking for the Finlandization of Ukraine, but what you will get is the NATO-fication of Finland.

Try to imagine Trump in that situation. He thought Finland was part of Russia, famously. The man has very good foreign policy knowledge and instincts. He’s done a good job. He won the primaries.

I don’t think billionaire donors should get to undo the voice of the voters.
    I think his foreign policy knowledge was evident, and clearly leagues deeper than Trump would ever have even if he tried (which he is too lazy to bother with). But putting form and style over substance is what the average American voter does.

I think his foreign policy knowledge was evident, and clearly leagues deeper than Trump would ever have even if he tried (which he is too lazy to bother with). But putting form and style over substance is what the average American voter does.
    I think the average voter is fine with Biden. I think the polls are suspect, some of them. I think the donors, pundits and some politicians are trying like hell to push him aside.

The planning is coordinated all right - by big donors. They’re not listening to their constituents at all, I don’t think.
    I'm not sure your basis for making this claim. Plenty of rank and file voters, like myself, have doubts about Biden's continued candidacy. You see that on this very thread. I don't give a **** about what big donors want - I simply want Trump to lose, whatever it takes.

As for the politicians, I don't think they're motivated by big donors so much as self-interest - they don't want to lose their own elections as part of the collateral damage. If anything, big donors pulling back from Biden would potentially mean that money going to down ballot races instead.

I think the average voter is fine with Biden. I think the polls are suspect, some of them. I think the donors, pundits and some politicians are trying like hell to push him aside.
    And what are the motivations of donors, pundits and some politicians to push Biden aside?

You know, it seems to me that someone who will loudly proclaim that Sanders got screwed by the party would recognize when the party is doing the same thing to someone else. But it doesn’t matter if you get what you want.

You pick and choose which polls you want to believe and then chastise anyone who tries to have a different opinion. I post studies and you ignore them.

When a conspiracy theory fits your narrative - you run with it. But if it doesn’t fit your narrative you call people names.

Somebody here fits the profile of what you call me, but it isn’t me. It’s you.

The idea that elites, and big donors are the reason why Congress people are expressing an opinion that Joe should step down. That's a conspiracy theory.

Let me give you an example:

You remember Mark Warner? Mark Warner is in Virginia.

Biden was only +2 in the last poll for that state. You don't need a conspiracy theory to explain this. It's simple self preservation.

This is my opinion on Bernie's failed runs, this is from this thread on Tuesday. There are no conspiracy theories listed. I blame the candidate. I suggest you start there as well.

That's not really what happened. I say this as a "Bernie Bro". Bernie never had a majority of the vote. He also never made any inroad with the black vote in the south. It killed his candidacy every time.

There was some orchestration behind the scenes to go with Biden once he finally started winning primaries. That was simply an effort to stop fracturing the much larger centrist vote.

If there was a mistake in all of this, it's that Biden should have ran in 2016 and challenged HRC.

I don't have any sour grapes over how a competitive primary process plays out. I simply want competitive primaries. I hope that is one of the major takeaways from this mess.

Just to prove this isn't a recent opinion. This is me stating part of that same opinion in a thread from 2022. You should really read this opinion. You are trying to "out-group" segments of the party right now.

You are getting nowhere attacking a voting bloc. The flip side of that argument is the African-American voting block is holding back progress by being more conservative then the rest of the party. That doesn't answer why they vote that way. It also doesn't answer why progressives like Bernie aren't able to make inroads with this voting bloc. It also doesn't even try to answer bigger questions like is that a good thing?

You made a lazy, and divisive argument that answers nothing. It only externalizes the blame of failure on what you consider an "out group" of the party. It's a very conservative way of thinking.

Also, if you don't want to be criticized, maybe stop throwing stones.

Last edited:
    The idea that elites, and big donors are the reason why Congress people are expressing an opinion that Joe should step down. That's a conspiracy theory.

Let me give you an example:

You remember Mark Warner? Mark Warner is in Virginia.

Biden was only +2 in the last poll for that state. You don't need a conspiracy theory to explain this. It's simple self preservation.

This is my opinion on Bernie's failed runs, this is from this thread on Tuesday. There are no conspiracy theories listed. I blame the candidate. I suggest you start there as well.

Just to prove this isn't a recent opinion. This is me stating part of that same opinion in a thread from 2022. You should really read this opinion. You are trying to "out-group" segments of the party right now.
    I wonder at least a little bit if the "elites" comment by Biden was actually a reference to Obama considering what apparently is going on behind the scenes.

No

joe-biden-barack-obama-friendship-in-photos-20.jpg

It's encouraging to see CNN in their chase for ratings have decided to start giving equal time to negative Trump coverage. What that indicates to me right there is that the Nielsen ratings, more accurate and reliable than any political polling over the last two years, is showing them they'll make more money being equally negative about Trump. The people who put their undying faith in polls are going to see Biden climb in head to head voting in the polls they have faith in.

And what did those same people say about who they would vote for out of Biden and Trump. Who they will vote for is the most important opinion that they have.

Every non-Trump supporter on this board who wants Biden to step down have said they will vote for Biden if he's on the ballot, except for you of course.

How they vote is all that matters. That's the only thing that decides who wins and loses the election. Everything else is just window dressing and noise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom