First presidential debate (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

That's fair. That night the bar was set low and he even fell short of the low bar.
    Tonight he raised himself up to meet the low bar.
    Yet....compare him to Obama.
    THAT should be the standard.
    He walked in to the debate with the concerns already present over his cognitive ability and he only served to exacerbate them.. absent the firestorm even, it was just about a worst case scenario there.

It just sort of a played out as a defining moment of sorts in my view.. it can't ever really be walked back or undone and it just sits out there now with him having what is basically the impossible task of trying to make it disappear off into the distance before it's too late.

If he had been on at the debate all would have been OK, relatively speaking.. but he wasn't and all is not.

He walked in to the debate with the concerns already present over his cognitive ability and he only served to exacerbate them.. absent the firestorm even, it was just about a worst case scenario there.

It just sort of a played out as a defining moment of sorts in my view.. it can't ever really be walked back or undone and it just sits out there now with him having what is basically the impossible task of trying to make it disappear off into the distance before it's too late.

If he had been on at the debate all would have been OK, relatively speaking.. but he wasn't and all is not.
    Do people treat you with the same disregard you are treating him?

You know Steve in America people used to respect and honor their elders.

The bible says one must honor elders as well.

So what are you going to tell God when you get there?
    Hmm. I wanted President Biden to do the right thing and step down after his current term so he can retire with dignity and honor. Since he is not doing the right thing I am joining the millions of voices across America as we in one huge chorus try to get him to do the right thing. MANY of these "voices" are Democrats and Independents. Many!
    My past current and future sins were/are nailed to the cross and I'm forgiven.
    I doubt it that the Lord will want to chastise me because of my "wishing Biden would not be the President until January 2029." I doubt it He'll mention that.

Do people treat you with the same disregard you are treating him?
    I was big picturing it, I'm still absolutely voting for Biden if he is the nominee.

I think he's damaged but it's not outright impossible that he could still win. But I do not like the odds and based upon the current situation and atmosphere, I think we're pretty much in hail mary territory.

I was big picturing it, I'm still absolutely voting for Biden if he is the nominee.

I think he's damaged but it's not outright impossible that he could still win. But I do not like the odds and based upon the current situation and atmosphere, I think we're pretty much in hail mary territory.
    This is another example of what I mentioned earlier.
    Some, such as @bdb13 are being reasonable and realistic.
    Others....not so much.

People saying things like tonight was top notch are why I say there is a cult.

Tonight was barely fine.
    Although I do think Sam Andreas is living in his own world (and I say that with love, SA, ;)), I interpreted him to mean Biden as a President is top notch, not referring specifically to tonight.

As for tonight, I thought Biden was fine all things considered. Yes, he misspoke referring to his VP as Trump rather than Harris, and right on the heels of referring to Zelensky as Putin. But that by itself isn't really unusual. People misspeak all the time. In depositions or in court, I've addressed a witness as a different person at least a handful of times, and seen it happen with other lawyers numerous times. Typically, it manifests in referring to your opponent as your client or vice versa. We didn't have cognitive impairment - we just misspoke based on having two names on your mind at the same time.

What I took from tonight is that Biden is clearly not senile. And he is clearly intelligent. But he is also just as clearly old. That's it. He's not as sharp, not as articulate, as he was even 5 years ago. I'm perfectly comfortable with him as President.

The problem is every gaffe, every misspeak, is a soundbite for the opposition. If Biden can keep doing what he did tonight, though, I feel pretty good about him turning the tide enough to win this thing. I'm still skeptical he can.

People saying things like tonight was top notch are why I say there is a cult.

Tonight was barely fine.

I agree with this. The bar is so low for Biden. He sounded way better, but I consider his debate performance singularly disqualifying.

Nicolle Wallace described this as a political dam about to break.

The rumors are Obama has been engineering an exit behind the scenes, and Pelosi has tried to hold it together until after NATO. Everyone really should have paid way more attention to her refusal to publicly support Biden. She wasn't very subtly in her "He needs to make a decision soon." talking point.

Although I do think Sam Andreas is living in his own world (and I say that with love, SA, ;)), I interpreted him to mean Biden as a President is top notch, not referring specifically to tonight.

As for tonight, I thought Biden was fine all things considered. Yes, he misspoke referring to his VP as Trump rather than Harris, and right on the heels of referring to Zelensky as Putin. But that by itself isn't really unusual. People misspeak all the time. In depositions or in court, I've addressed a witness as a different person at least a handful of times, and seen it happen with other lawyers numerous times. Typically, it manifests in referring to your opponent as your client or vice versa. We didn't have cognitive impairment - we just misspoke based on having two names on your mind at the same time.

What I took from tonight is that Biden is clearly not senile. And he is clearly intelligent. But he is also just as clearly old. That's it. He's not as sharp, not as articulate, as he was even 5 years ago. I'm perfectly comfortable with him as President.

The problem is every gaffe, every misspeak, is a soundbite for the opposition. If Biden can keep doing what he did tonight, though, I feel pretty good about him turning the tide enough to win this thing. I'm still skeptical he can.
    He needs to start doing town halls every week from now until November.

All of you all who are critical are putting form over substance. Who cares if he speaks slowly, or hesitates? He still has a speech impediment, which may be getting harder to control with aging.

Did anyone hear what he said about talking to Putin, before the invasion? I only listened for a little bit, but I did catch that story and hadn’t heard it before. He said Putin was making the case to him that Ukraine should never be in NATO, and his response was = (going from memory) you are asking for the Finlandization of Ukraine, but what you will get is the NATO-fication of Finland.

Try to imagine Trump in that situation. He thought Finland was part of Russia, famously. The man has very good foreign policy knowledge and instincts. He’s done a good job. He won the primaries.

I don’t think billionaire donors should get to undo the voice of the voters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom