First presidential debate (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Since we usually have a separate thread for these
    =================

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden begins an intense period of private preparations Friday at Camp David for what may be the most consequential presidential debate in decades.

The 81-year-old Democrat’s team is aware that he cannot afford an underwhelming performance when he faces Republican rival Donald Trump for 90 minutes on live television Thursday night. Biden’s team is expecting aggressive attacks on his physical and mental strength, his record on the economy and immigration and even his family.

Trump, 78 and ever confident, will stay on the campaign trail before going to his Florida estate next week for two days of private meetings as part of an informal prep process.

The former president’s allies are pushing him to stay focused on his governing plans, but they’re expecting him to be tested by pointed questions about his unrelenting focus on election fraud, his role in the erosion of abortion rights and his unprecedented legal baggage.

Thursday’s debate on CNN will be full of firsts, with the potential to reshape the presidential race. Never before in the modern era have two presumptive nominees met on the debate stage so early in the general election season. Never before have two White House contenders faced off at such advanced ages, with widespread questions about their readiness.

And never before has a general election debate participant been saddled with a felony conviction. The debate-stage meeting comes just two weeks before Trump is scheduled to be sentenced on 34 felony counts in his New York hush money trial.

“You can argue this will be the most important debate, at least in my lifetime,” said Democratic strategist Jim Messina, 54, who managed former President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign.

PRESSURE ON BIDEN

The ground rules for Thursday’s debate, the first of two scheduled meetings, are unusual.

The candidates agreed to meet at a CNN studio in Atlanta with no audience. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. No props or prewritten notes will be allowed onstage. The candidates will be given only a pen, a pad of paper and a bottle of water.

There will be no opening statements. A coin flip determined that Biden would stand at the podium to the viewer’s right, while Trump would deliver the final closing statement.

The next debate won’t be until September. Any stumbles Thursday will be hard to erase or replace quickly.………..

So I think folks in the media are absolutely flogging this controversy trying to get a couple more days out of it for clicks. Pelosi’s statement is not controversial in my eyes. And look at the way this statement is framed. Reporting becoming a source of revenue is killing journalism, IMO. Networks used to do news as a public service. Now they put profits over the public.

They're not even trying to hide their deceitful spin. They play the full clip of Blumenthal clearly saying he's concerned if Biden loses, not that he's concerned Biden will lose. Then he goes on to explain that he's concerned about Biden losing because of the turmoil and that it needs to be resolved immediately, while also saying unequivocally that Biden has his full support.

Last edited:
    I don’t buy that. If he stays, of course they prefer Biden. I think it is nonsense that we have to appear unified in candidates, because we are unified against Trump.

Again, pointing out the potential consequences of doing something isn’t the same as saying demands are being made. And I’m fine with you seeing those potential consequences differently. You’ve never been in a situation where you understood somebody could do what they want but expressed to them you thought it might be a bad idea and explained why?

Since you won't read the article before discarding it. This wasn't a simple sit down. This is talking about one of their meetings in March. This article is an extremely deep dive into Trump's campaign.
    Okay, and I don’t have to read it to know it is messaging. The campaign will let the reporter know what it wants the reporter to know. I’m not super interested in what the Trump campaign wants to message about Biden.

If you believe that Trump is not wanting Biden to step down, that’s fine. You are entitled to have that opinion. I don’t actually believe they are being honest and that’s my opinion.

Okay, and I don’t have to read it to know it is messaging. The campaign will let the reporter know what it wants the reporter to know. I’m not super interested in what the Trump campaign wants to message about Biden.

If you believe that Trump is not wanting Biden to step down, that’s fine. You are entitled to have that opinion. I don’t actually believe they are being honest and that’s my opinion.

It's not really about messaging. It's literally a massive deep dive into the entire Trump campaign. They are bragging. They think this is done.

Why don't you just read it?

This is going to be one of THE pieces of journalism from this entire cycle, and this board refuses to read it.

Oh, you are proving all my words right.

We got here because the GOP has capitulated totally and because people refused to vote for Clinton.

We also got here because the Democratic party has become increasingly weak over the years in their strategy to defeat the extremist GOP and has allowed them to capture much of the middle class vote including rural working class America.

It's not really about messaging. It's literally a massive deep dive into the entire Trump campaign. They are bragging. They think this is done.

Because my stomach is in knots and I can only take so much of this.

I know they are hugely overconfident. You can tell because they were so smugly promoting Project 2025. Until it started blowing up in their faces. Because they are discussing outlawing IVF, because they are openly discussing huge concentration camps for undocumented people.

Didn’t you criticize Hillary for her over-confidence? Theirs seems the same to me.

Yeah, but I don’t agree with you about who is in the other cult, I’m sure. But keep your know-it-all attitude. You do you.

I have always said I am fine with the idea of Biden stepping aside if he decides to do so. He has earned the delegates, and there is no way to replace him without it being his decision. This is dealing in reality, not cult-like at all.

What is amazing to me is that so many so-called progressives are just fine with throwing away valid elections because they believe some polls. Yet these same people will claim they are pro-democracy. And calling people like me, who are pointing out the actual pitfalls and craziness of throwing away valid election results are “cult” or “Trumpish”.

How do you square that in your mind?
    The problem is they're not in their minds, their completely in their "feels," like they like to say and chastise others for being.

If hypocrisy was a valuable commodity, this board would be a worth a fortune.

Last edited:
    We also got here because the Democratic party has become increasingly weak over the years in their strategy to defeat the extremist GOP and has allowed them to capture much of the middle class vote including rural working class America.
    Interestingly - Biden has great blue-collar appeal. He does well with working class voters.

This is going to be one of THE pieces of journalism from this entire cycle, and this board refuses to read it.

Oh, you are proving all my words right.

It’s paywalled for me. You might take that into consideration.

And when is Trump ever anything but confident in his campaign but if he loses it’ll be totally rigged? I’m not saying it’s not a worthwhile article, in which many great points might be made, but what is the real difference in bravado from his previous two campaigns?

Because my stomach is in knots and I can only take so much of this.

I know they are hugely overconfident. You can tell because they were so smugly promoting Project 2025. Until it started blowing up in their faces. Because they are discussing outlawing IVF, because they are openly discussing huge concentration camps for undocumented people.

Didn’t you criticize Hillary for her over-confidence? Theirs seems the same to me.

You really should read it. They go into all the micro-targeting. The different funding issues.

I'm honestly shocked they gave anyone this level of access to their entire campaign.

FYI: LaCivita is the guy who invented the swiftboat campaign against Kerry.

Remember how anyone who didn’t support Trump was a “liberal” or “RINO”? Let’s not go there.
    Just to be clear, the labeling, name calling and personal snipes were started by the loudest opponents of Biden. Then they started whining when it was given right back to them.

You replied to his comment but you could use his comment as a summary of this explanation.

This 100% sounds like a blue MAGA.

The blame if Biden loses won't be on pundits, and insiders who pleaded with him to step down.

It's asinine to even suggest it.

Some of you on this board sound insane right now.
    Blue MAGA, I ran that one down to its source.

You can observe Biden, see he’s showing signs of slowing down, but that’s not a basis for assuming specific medical conditions. I have long believed Trump shows signs of cognitive decline, but I haven’t diagnosed that with specificity because I can’t do that.

Observance of someone’s speech has no bearing at all in speculating that there may be an underlying medical condition? Am I repeating what you said right?

Trump may have cognitive decline, but he doesn’t exhibit the lapses in memory and slurred speech.

I’ve given this example before, but I noticed years ago my dad who is around 70 started to slur his speech..was very forgetful, etc. After maybe six months, my mom got him checked out and he did have Parkinson’s. He’s much, much different in his speech and walking than he was 2 years ago even. It comes on shockingly which. Now before you say it - NO, I’m not saying Biden has Parkinson’s, and the point wasn’t to equivocate the situations.

What I am saying is that there’s most certainly a basis for assuming a possible medical condition from observed behavior.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom