Final Presidential Debate (10/22/2020) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

For those who watched, was the mute button a factor at all?

Trump mostly behaved because he knew the mic was muted. I did hear it cut out while one of them was talking a few times so I think they were getting muted.

The moderator managed it so well I don’t think it was as much of a factor as it could have been. Even Trump complimented Welker. She was absolutely in control at all times.

For those who watched, was the mute button a factor at all?
    No. It was only for the two minutes each candidate initially had to answer each question. Neither tried to talk over that with a cut mic as far as I could see. Compared to the first debate Trump was way more well-behaved (again, comparatively).

No. It was only for the two minutes each candidate initially had to answer each question. Neither tried to talk over that with a cut mic as far as I could see. Compared to the first debate Trump was way more well-behaved (again, comparatively).

I agree during the 2 minutes, but I could have sworn the mic also shut off a few times when they were talking.

Did anyone else notice that or am I just losing it?

Don’t have a clue how accurate these are but

Pretty accurate.

I think by time we got to the oil misstep, Biden had wrapped the debate up

I think these now are a reflection of the race itself.

There are no true undecideds en masse.

I think Biden clearly won, because he went more on talking about the future and his administration and countered Trump's arguments with specific points. Trump lost a lot with all of the times he went after Biden's family or the democrats instead of arguing a point.

I mean, Trump was better than the first debate but I don't see how you can claim he 'won' if the barometer was based on it being a debate for President of the USA. But he did have some good moments, where he seemed more human and he called Biden on a couple of lies, which was good.

Another thing that will help Biden on the oil gaffe, the media cycle has already shifted from the debate to the fact that we set a new record in COVID cases. The Trump campaign will run ads, but the media won't be talking about it because there's a bigger news story already.

This has been one of the things that have hurt the Trump Presidency overall. There's been so much chaos and "breaking news" that things that are good for Trump rarely get much time on stage. I'm flipping around the morning news. They were talking about the oil gaffe at 6 AM, now all they are talking about is 77,640 COVID cases. The news cycle moved that quick.

From the Post
    =============================
    After a mostly unwatchable first debate, then a canceled second one, we got a heated but relatively substantive final matchup between Joe Biden and President Trump on Thursday in Nashville.

Below, some takeaways.

1. Trump offers no course correction on coronavirus
    For weeks now, perhaps the biggest question has been whether Trump, whose presidency is on the line as the clock ticks down toward Nov. 3, might actually try something different from what has earned him his current deficit in national polls.

The revised debate rules and Trump’s approach led to fewer interruptions than the previous debate. But from the jump, the content of Trump’s case was unmistakably familiar — especially on the biggest issue of the day, the novel coronavirus.

With his very first words, Trump recycled the misleading claim that 2.2 million people were “expected to die” from the coronavirus. In fact, one model said that many could die, but only with precisely zero mitigation — which is an extremely low bar to brag about clearing.

Almost as quickly, Trump reverted to his long-running efforts to downplay the severity of the virus, despite his long-running unpopularity on the issue.

“There was a spike in Florida, and it’s now gone,” Trump said. “There was a very big spike in Texas; it’s now gone. There was a very big spike in Arizona; it’s now gone. And there were some spikes and surges and other places; they will soon be gone. We have a vaccine that’s coming. It’s ready. It’s going to be announced within weeks and it’s going to be delivered.”

Even as Trump was saying this, though, the number of new daily cases nationwide was hitting its highest point since the middle of the summer, with both hospitalizations and deaths also increasing. Trump has for weeks said we’re turning the corner, and this was in the same vein.......................

One of the things I thought Trump did well was asking over and over again why Biden didn't do anything on criminal justice reform (not entirely true, but I think effective). It could be an area of weakness for Biden EXCEPT that Trump didn't offer any plans as an alternative.

So, sure, Biden is open to the charge of being a johnny come lately to the issue, but he's actually got plans to address it, and Trump isn't offering anything as an alternative.

Which is another of Trump's issues -- he doesn't ever offer anything of substance. No health care plan, no criminal justice plan, no strategic covid plan... etc. Pretty much tax cuts and that's it.

And tax cuts that primarily help corporations and the well off. Nothing for the majority of the people.

Chart of the day:

1603460172070.png

Agree. Joe didn’t elegantly layout what he meant. Did he give FoxNews a talking point, yes. Will he loses some oil workers votes, maybe. Does it cost him enough to lose a state, doubt it.

The thing is everyone in oil already knows Biden's views on it. I was listening to an LSU professor give an economic projection in SWLA for 2021 yesterday before the debate and he had two main factors. 1) Covid 2)Presidential election. He pointed out specifically Biden's views on the oil industry and pulled direct quotes from Bidens platform that is on his website. So this isn't new information for anyone in the oil business.

Hopefully the uber lefties who think Biden is too lax on climate change will be motivated enough by it to get into voting booth instead of "sitting this one out" like they have been alluding too on the twitters.

But mostly I think the comment really doesn't change anything. If you were "undecided" going into this you are a liar who just likes attention or monumentally stupid. Everyone's minds have been made up for a looooooong while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom