Final Presidential Debate (10/22/2020) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Chart of the day:

1603460172070.png

Biden will save a lot of birds when he gets rid of windows. #SaveTheWindows

One of the things I thought Trump did well was asking over and over again why Biden didn't do anything on criminal justice reform (not entirely true, but I think effective). It could be an area of weakness for Biden EXCEPT that Trump didn't offer any plans as an alternative.

So, sure, Biden is open to the charge of being a johnny come lately to the issue, but he's actually got plans to address it, and Trump isn't offering anything as an alternative.

Which is another of Trump's issues -- he doesn't ever offer anything of substance. No health care plan, no criminal justice plan, no strategic covid plan... etc. Pretty much tax cuts and that's it.

That's basically been the whole Republican party platform to deal with everything since Obama was elected president.

Biden will save a lot of birds when he gets rid of windows. #SaveTheWindows

"If we elect that guy you won't have windows, no more big beautiful windows, all gone! like you've never seen! It's unbelievable what they are going to do! No windows at all. You'll go to flush the toilet and nothing. It won't go down you flush the thing 6 or 7 times and you won't even get to look out of a window every again while you do it. I had a guy come up to me, great big guy, straight from central casting he says to me "Sir", he had tears in his eyes, he says "Sir, don't let them take my beautiful bay windows!!!!" I told him Sergeant, because he was in the Navy, I said Sergeant don't worry I won't let Sleepy Joe take your windows."

- Trump next week at a rally somewhere I'm sure

The thing is everyone in oil already knows Biden's views on it. I was listening to an LSU professor give an economic projection in SWLA for 2021 yesterday before the debate and he had two main factors. 1) Covid 2)Presidential election. He pointed out specifically Biden's views on the oil industry and pulled direct quotes from Bidens platform that is on his website. So this isn't new information for anyone in the oil business.

Hopefully the uber lefties who think Biden is too lax on climate change will be motivated enough by it to get into voting booth instead of "sitting this one out" like they have been alluding too on the twitters.

But mostly I think the comment really doesn't change anything. If you were "undecided" going into this you are a liar who just likes attention or monumentally stupid. Everyone's minds have been made up for a looooooong while.

Biden's view on oil isn't particularly extreme anymore either. Major vehicle manufacturers (e.g. Volvo an GM) are dramatically expanding their EV production and diversity. Local area fleet operators (such as police forces and factory/shipyard fleets) are converting to EV based on long-term O&M costs. The pie chart of the US electricity grid shows ever-growing share for power production that doesn't use fossil-fuels.

Biden's views seem to be reasonably in-phase with these market changes.

Last edited:
    Biden's view on oil isn't particularly extreme anymore either. Major vehicle manufacturers (e.g. Volvo an GM) are dramatically expanding their EV production and diversity. Local area fleet operators (such as police forces and factory/shipyard fleets) are covering to EV based on long-term O&M costs. The pie chart of the US electricity grid shows ever-growing share for power production that doesn't use fossil-fuels.

Biden's views seem to be reasonably in-phase with these market changes.

GM ran multiple ads last night on Fox NFL for the new Hummer EV.

They left out some really big whoppers, this is a longer more comprehensive fact check:

So, as i mentioned earlier in the thread, i was afraid to watch the actual debate for fear that Biden would sabotage himself and his lead in the polls with a gaffe.. So i was disheartened to read here about Biden’s comments on the oil industry .. well i just saw the actual exchange on the morning news and it wasnt nearly as bad as I’d been led to believe.. i thought Joe actually had said the words ‘I’m going to shut down the oil industry’ when he actually said ‘We will transition, yes’.. that’s a huge difference, since as has been mentioned already, most oil companies are doing the same thing.. also, as usual, Trump tried to conflate what Joe said into somehting else, by saying ‘Ooh, that’s a big statement.. You hear that Texas?’ When in fact what Joe said was hardly controversial at all.. So it’s a non-issue IMO.

One of the things I thought Trump did well was asking over and over again why Biden didn't do anything on criminal justice reform (not entirely true, but I think effective). It could be an area of weakness for Biden EXCEPT that Trump didn't offer any plans as an alternative.

So, sure, Biden is open to the charge of being a johnny come lately to the issue, but he's actually got plans to address it, and Trump isn't offering anything as an alternative.

Which is another of Trump's issues -- he doesn't ever offer anything of substance. No health care plan, no criminal justice plan, no strategic covid plan... etc. Pretty much tax cuts and that's it.
    It's funny because the GOP tries to paint Biden as an agent of the extreme left but, at the same time, attacks his record on liberal issues. And, yes, Trump almost never offers substance. Usually it's just a vague promise of great things to come followed up by nothing.

They left out some really big whoppers, this is a longer more comprehensive fact check:

yea, Daniel Dale has become my default for this. He's the most thorough, documented that I've found. He earned his status and credibility through a lot of hard work early on and he's still doing it.

To be fair though - the First Step Act is probably the biggest piece of criminal justice reform we have seen in at least 25 years.
    What I think was more interesting in the exchange was Biden saying we tried but Republican Congress . . . (obviously ignoring the first two years of the Obama Presidency). It is still largely a fact that certain issues can only really be addressed while having a President of a particular party. The old line about reforming entitlements/welfare can only be done by a Democrat or that true cuts to defense projects can only be done by a Republican seems to still be largely true. Obamacare could be argued as something not fitting this rule, but it is about the only thing I can think of not fitting it.

Is criminal justice reform such an issue?

I haven't looked this over yet, mostly because I want to watch the debate, if I get time.

Scroll back through to relive the live blog in all its chronological glory, but if that’s too much work, here are some of the team’s headlines from the evening, followed by their big takeaways.

• Perry: Biden Was Blah, Trump Wasn’t As Bad As Before
    • Meredith: In Final Debate, Trump, Biden Do No Harm
    • Geoffrey: Trump Interrupted Less, But May Not Have Found A Way To Shake Up The Race
    • Kaleigh: A Restrained Trump Is Still Trump
    • Chris: Changing The Tone Doesn’t Change The Election
    • Maggie: I’m Sorry I Can’t Come Up With A Headline I’m Still Internally Screaming About The Stream Of Inaccurate Information In The Climate Change Section
    • Galen: Policy Made A More Robust Appearance In The Final Debate, Clearing A Low Bar
    • Nathaniel: No Clear Winner In Debate Is Good News For Biden
    • Micah: The “Come On!” Debate
    • Amelia: The Final Presidential Debate Was Less Loud Than The Last One, But Still Probably Left Many Americans Asking, How Many Days Till Election Day?
    • Meena: Will We Remember President Trump’s Final Presidential Debate?

So, as i mentioned earlier in the thread, i was afraid to watch the actual debate for fear that Biden would sabotage himself and his lead in the polls with a gaffe.. So i was disheartened to read here about Biden’s comments on the oil industry .. well i just saw the actual exchange on the morning news and it wasnt nearly as bad as I’d been led to believe.. i thought Joe actually had said the words ‘I’m going to shut down the oil industry’ when he actually said ‘We will transition, yes’.. that’s a huge difference, since as has been mentioned already, most oil companies are doing the same thing.. also, as usual, Trump tried to conflate what Joe said into somehting else, by saying ‘Ooh, that’s a big statement.. You hear that Texas?’ When in fact what Joe said was hardly controversial at all.. So it’s a non-issue IMO.

I agree on substance, but that isn't the way it's going to be played. I'm seeing it already. It's the sound bite that matters from a campaign standpoint and the sound bite is bad. My rule is don't say anything in a debate you can't give context to, and there wasn't enough time to give that context.

I don't think it affects much, but it was still an unforced error because it gave his opposition a sound bite to run with.

To be fair though - the First Step Act is probably the biggest piece of criminal justice reform we have seen in at least 25 years.
    What I think was more interesting in the exchange was Biden saying we tried but Republican Congress . . . (obviously ignoring the first two years of the Obama Presidency). It is still largely a fact that certain issues can only really be addressed while having a President of a particular party. The old line about reforming entitlements/welfare can only be done by a Democrat or that true cuts to defense projects can only be done by a Republican seems to still be largely true. Obamacare could be argued as something not fitting this rule, but it is about the only thing I can think of not fitting it.

Is criminal justice reform such an issue?

Y'all are not giving credit where it is due. Trump had a weapon Biden and Obama didn't...

I’m not sure Trump has enough money or enough political discipline to make the most of it, though. You know all he wants to talk about are his own grievances and Hunter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom