Final Presidential Debate (10/22/2020) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, it's weird, I checked my feeds, and I'm not seeing Biden being hammered on the oil comment yet. I wonder if the Trump campaign is so focused on the laptop they won't push Biden's oil comments. I assume they'll get to it eventually though.

Saying you're going to get rid of an entire industry is never a good statement from a Presidential candidate. Even if the reality is more nuanced and a good policy. Seems like a rookie mistake.
    I turned to my wife and said that, the oil comment, will be the story of this debate. Just glancing at a few after debate shows there is not much comment on it which is surprising

That goes beyond Texas. It affects a lot of people in every state - including the "swing" states. I don't think it's a game changer or even close, but the Trump campaign has to seize on that and hammer it.

One great thing about tonight is that, if things go the way some of us hope they will- tonight was the last time we EVER have to watch Donald Trump in a debate again... Hell, really the last time we ever need to listen to him utter a word, since I normally pay no attention to him anyway.

He will have a TV network.

Watch

One great thing about tonight is that, if things go the way some of us hope they will- tonight was the last time we EVER have to watch Donald Trump in a debate again... Hell, really the last time we ever need to listen to him utter a word, since I normally pay no attention to him anyway.
    A Trump concession speech would be can’t miss TV.

I turned to my wife and said that, the oil comment, will be the story of this debate. Just glancing at a few after debate shows there is not much comment on it which is surprising

That goes beyond Texas. It affects a lot of people in every state - including the "swing" states. I don't think it's a game changer or even close, but the Trump campaign has to seize on that and hammer it.

Hugh Hewiit siezed on it almost immediately.

I think he kinda clarified few moments later about transitioning. But make no mistake, I don't think it's going to turn the tide.

Here in SELA there was NO CHANCE for Biden before that comment.

Will it affect PA? We will see. I just think that had this happened in debate 1, totally different last two weeks. I just think it's too late in the process to really have a massive effect

I believe Chevron is following Exxon's lead as well, so both American oil majors are betting on the past.

Totally off topic, but I have been told that Exxon says that the price of oil doesn’t impact their earnings any longer, at least not in any meaningful way. I took that to mean that they are extricating themselves from total reliance on oil. (I don’t follow the industry, but was told that by someone who was on one of their shareholder calls maybe. It was a friend who is a stockbroker who told me). Just curious.

I suspect it's because Trump's base is quadrupling down on the Hunter Biden thing so they aren't lucid enough to latch on to something substantive that would actually stick.

Evidently there will be dueling Hunter email pieces in the WSJ tomorrow. Someone was touting her piece on Twitter saying it would be a bombshell, stayed tuned, and so forth. Evidently it will be an opinion piece.

then the news side of WSJ tweeted that they had reviewed the “proof” from the former partner and found no evidence of Joe’s involvement and no evidence of any criminal activity by Hunter.

I’m going from memory here, but I think that’s what I read.

He will have a TV network.

Watch

Oh, there’s no doubt.

People much smarter than myself have posited for years that the reason he even got into the 2016 race is that he wanted to increase his visibility and marketability even more, specifically to start his own network- then he went and won... Still, none of us have to pay any mind to his channel unless we’re into sadomasichism.

It was a huge mistake. The only question is can the Trump campaign capitalize on it. The challenge for them is they won’t get the free assist from the media like Biden gets when Trump says something stupid. Biden doesn’t have that hostile relationship with the media that makes them want to get him and, let’s be frank, they want Trump gone too.

That means the Trump campaign has to capitalize on it themselves and I’m not sure they have the money or organization to do that.

Evidently there will be dueling Hunter email pieces in the WSJ tomorrow. Someone was touting her piece on Twitter saying it would be a bombshell, stayed tuned, and so forth. Evidently it will be an opinion piece.

then the news side of WSJ tweeted that they had reviewed the “proof” from the former partner and found no evidence of Joe’s involvement and no evidence of any criminal activity by Hunter.

I’m going from memory here, but I think that’s what I read.
    Yep. It’s an opinion piece in WSJ by Kim Strassel. The allegations have now made it to the NYP and an opinion piece by someone who writes about “How Trump Haters are Breaking America.”

It was a huge mistake. The only question is can the Trump campaign capitalize on it. The challenge for them is they won’t get the free assist from the media like Biden gets when Trump says something stupid. Biden doesn’t have that hostile relationship with the media that makes them want to get him and, let’s be frank, they want Trump gone too.

That means the Trump campaign has to capitalize on it themselves and I’m not sure they have the money or organization to do that.
    Yeah, Biden also has the money to put out a major ad campaign wherever he needs to addressing this.. I hate that Biden stepped in it there because he was very good otherwise tonight.. but I think it'll be alright.

I would be utterly shocked if he actually gives one.
    If he loses convincingly, I would not expect one. Nor would I expect him to hold any press conferences or otherwise do many public appearances in the intervening months until inauguration day.

But is it?

If one is in the oil industry, I'd think one would be aware of the trend towards other sources of energy. Even the biggest symbol of fuel inefficiency and pollution, the Hummer, is going electric. Windmills and solar cells are popping up everywhere. And then one has to look at what happened to the coal industry, after all the fanfare in 2016.

Regarding his plans to transition from fossil fuels, they need to own it and expand on it. Renewable energy should be viewed as the new Space Race. It’s the only way forward, and we need to get out in front.
    I agree with you. My problem is that it seems like when "old" energy is talked about it is clearly in disparaging terms. I, and I think most reasonable people, are completely for being at the forefront of technology and especially on something like energy production.
    It seems like more often than not the topic is framed by renewable advocates as something like: "getting rid of oil by 'so-and-so-date'"? As opposed to something more positive like - "having solar be more efficient than X,Y, and/or Z by such-and-such date?"

For those who watched, was the mute button a factor at all?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom