Critical race theory (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveXA

Reaction score
    Frankly, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the Critical Race Theory curriculum. What is it, where does it come from, and is it legitimate? Has anyone here read it and maybe give a quick summary?

If this has been covered in another thread, then I missed it.

I thought CRT was only taught in college? I was told this just a couple of weeks ago.

That is correct, Farb. But you know that. Or at least you should. CRT is not a subject, really. It’s a teaching methodology, if I am understanding it correctly.

In short, everything you are reading about CRT in the sources you generally frequent is false. Just assume that and you’ll be better off.

CRT initially started as a legal philosophy like Law & Economics (not that the two are similar, just that both are examples of legal philosophy). I have no idea how its purported to being taught in high school nor do I think it's particularly important. I just have good laugh at the right using it as ammo in the culture war and that it takes up so much time in legislative deliberation versus tackling issues that would actually benefit people.

CRT initially started as a legal philosophy like Law & Economics (not that the two are similar, just that both are examples of legal philosophy). I have no idea how its purported to being taught in high school nor do I think it's particularly important. I just have good laugh at the right using it as ammo in the culture war and that it takes up so much time in legislative deliberation versus tackling issues that would actually benefit people.

I agree, but that's exactly why the right has made it one of their central issues. They know it will evoke an emotional response in their constituents, the way it has in @Farb. And they know it will distract their constituents from other more important bread and butter issues (like infrastructures, climate change and wealth/pay disparity) that effect their constituents lives a lot more, but that they don't want to address.

In principle CRT is great and it has some merit. However, CTR in the hands of zealots is often altered and can be used as a tool that promotes division rather than unity. For example there is a manifesto about teaching math to POC in the state of Oregon that assumes math taught in western culture is racist. The manifesto is not necessarily a math curriculum, but mostly anti-white rhetoric.

Teaching racism is a bad thing, but I do love watching the Maoist struggle sessions while the radical left tries to defend it.

Teaching racism is a bad thing, but I do love watching the Maoist struggle sessions while the radical left tries to defend it.
    CRT may have started as an academic endeavor, but today is main stream and it is anticipated to be the antidote to end racism. However, that is a tall order because CRT states that all activities and systems in Western nations are based on racism. That is partially true, but I do not see a solution.

Good article
    ==============
    In a short story called “The Space Traders,” by civil rights lawyer and scholar Derrick Bell, visitors from outer space appear and offer to solve the climate crisis, eliminate the national debt and provide an energy source that would end the country’s dependence on fossil fuels.

In return, these space traders demand one thing: all Black people living in the United States.
 Ultimately, the American public takes a vote, and it’s no nail-biter — 70 percent vote in favor of trading their fellow citizens.

Bell’s story, which I teach in a course on critical race theory, is partly meant to point out the ways in which throughout history, this White-majority country has traded the rights of Black people to gain a variety of socioeconomic benefits.

In class, we discuss the many examples of such trades — slavery, the convict-leasing system, sharecropping, Jim Crow, redlining — and the ways these trades perpetuate racism today.

We also do something even more profound: We consider Bell’s hypothetical trade more directly. I ask, if such an alien force were to appear now, would the American public vote in favor of trading all Black people into slavery for the benefits offered in the story?

My classes are typically about 90 percent White and 10 percent students of color — the latter of whom are mostly Black students. The first time I conducted this lesson, I anticipated that students would say the country would reject this racist and genocidal trade.

I was wrong. Not only did they say that the United States would accept the trade, but they did so by a clear majority, White and Black alike. Every year since I introduced this lesson, that majority has grown to the point where, a couple of years ago, every student in the classroom said Americans would send Black people into slavery, except for one who voted no — a Black student.

When I ask students to provide evidence that the United States would accept this trade, storytelling emerges as a vital tool for uncovering truths.

The White students begin by talking about their White friends, families, co-workers, classmates and neighbors. They share how the people they love and count on are blatantly racist — how these people regularly make racist jokes and derogatory comments, use racist epithets and show no compassion for those subjected to racist abuse.

In response to this honesty, the Black students seem willing to open up about the pain they experience in a society in which racism is so pervasive……..

Good article
    ==============
    In a short story called “The Space Traders,” by civil rights lawyer and scholar Derrick Bell, visitors from outer space appear and offer to solve the climate crisis, eliminate the national debt and provide an energy source that would end the country’s dependence on fossil fuels.

In return, these space traders demand one thing: all Black people living in the United States.
 Ultimately, the American public takes a vote, and it’s no nail-biter — 70 percent vote in favor of trading their fellow citizens.

Bell’s story, which I teach in a course on critical race theory, is partly meant to point out the ways in which throughout history, this White-majority country has traded the rights of Black people to gain a variety of socioeconomic benefits.

In class, we discuss the many examples of such trades — slavery, the convict-leasing system, sharecropping, Jim Crow, redlining — and the ways these trades perpetuate racism today.

We also do something even more profound: We consider Bell’s hypothetical trade more directly. I ask, if such an alien force were to appear now, would the American public vote in favor of trading all Black people into slavery for the benefits offered in the story?

My classes are typically about 90 percent White and 10 percent students of color — the latter of whom are mostly Black students. The first time I conducted this lesson, I anticipated that students would say the country would reject this racist and genocidal trade.

I was wrong. Not only did they say that the United States would accept the trade, but they did so by a clear majority, White and Black alike. Every year since I introduced this lesson, that majority has grown to the point where, a couple of years ago, every student in the classroom said Americans would send Black people into slavery, except for one who voted no — a Black student.

When I ask students to provide evidence that the United States would accept this trade, storytelling emerges as a vital tool for uncovering truths.

The White students begin by talking about their White friends, families, co-workers, classmates and neighbors. They share how the people they love and count on are blatantly racist — how these people regularly make racist jokes and derogatory comments, use racist epithets and show no compassion for those subjected to racist abuse.

In response to this honesty, the Black students seem willing to open up about the pain they experience in a society in which racism is so pervasive……..

Blacks, have been brutally oppressed , no doubt. However, many fail to see that many whites have genuinely tried to make things better in the last decades. There was a profound change in culture from the 1950s to 1970. Most white people recognized they had done wrong. Only 53 years passed between the Rosa parks incident and the election of Obama by white voters. Companies that would never interview a Jewish or black candidate for a job changed their tune. And then it came to a point where it was expected or mandatory to provide more opportunity to black applicants. Many blacks now live in the suburbs and go out for a walk or a jog with no worries. Life today in 2021 is way better than in 1951. Many neighborhoods are multicultural and many whites go out of their way to be nice to POC. Even the racist whites show a tendency to be polite to POC as this is seen politically correct.

We are moving in the right direction, but CRT does not acknowledge any improvement. As you eloquently stated CRT proponents paint a sad terrible picture that assumes things today are worse than ever. Hence the young people of this era think they are in hell. This meme has spread like wildfire in Western nations.

Companies that would never interview a Jewish or black candidate for a job changed their tune.
    Your post was fine without this line in it. Jewish =/= Black. Unless a Jewish candidate for a job came in dressed like an orthodox Jew, there would be no way for the interviewer to know that the Jewish candidate was Jewish.

I agree that we have come a long way. However, a nice racist is still a racist. A lot of the gains that have been made have not come voluntarily. They have been forced using the legal system.

Every step that has been taken to put blacks on equal footing with whites has been vehemently and in some cases violently opposed. It's important to remember that black people are born black. White people are not born racist. They learn it from their parents and friends.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom