Critical race theory (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveXA

Reaction score
    Frankly, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the Critical Race Theory curriculum. What is it, where does it come from, and is it legitimate? Has anyone here read it and maybe give a quick summary?

If this has been covered in another thread, then I missed it.

I don't have a problem with disagreeing. I don't have a problem with black conservatives. I don't have a problem with conservatives

I do have a problem with extreme partisan nutjobs

Now I don't watch Fox so this may be wrong but it sure seems that the black talking heads on Fox are mostly there to talk about racial issues. Are any offering their view on the G7 conference right now? (again they may be)

But it doesn't feel like that's the viewpoint of theirs Fox is looking for

They're looking for the "We don't need CRT, students are forced to learn too much black history as it is" viewpoint

They're looking for the "Maybe George Floyd deserved was he got" viewpoint

They're looking for the "There is no police brutality" viewpoint

They're looking for the "All these voter laws make it easier for black people to vote" viewpoint

They're looking for the "I wish black people would stop whining about racism" viewpoint

They're looking for the "There's no such thing as racism, structural, institutional or otherwise" viewpoint

They're looking for the "IF racism exists, it's against white people" viewpoint

They're looking for the in 2008 "Why would having a black president be a big deal?" viewpoint

They're looking for the "Why do we have a Martin Luther King Day?" viewpoint

And when these viewpoints are offered on air the clips are later and gleefully posted, retweeted, shared all over the internet (including a certain NFL team political spin off board) as a real AHA! moment, "You see! YOU SEE!!!! Look at what this ONE black person says! How can racism be real when this ONE black person says it isn't. I win!"

I watch enough of Fox News to say that at least half of those generalizations aren't really true. Yes, most of their black talking heads do the typical talking points you allude to, but it's hardly the only thing they talk about. I haven't seen them say "no police brutality...no systemic racism, a black president isn't a big deal...etc." I've not seen one of them say Floyd got what he deserved or ask why we have a MLK day. I disagree with a lot of what they say, but they aren't all bad, and yeah, they clearly do work for Fox though.

I watch enough of Fox News to say that at least half of those generalizations aren't really true. Yes, most of their black talking heads do the typical talking points you allude to, but it's hardly the only thing they talk about. I haven't seen them say "no police brutality...no systemic racism, a black president isn't a big deal...etc." I've not seen one of them say Floyd got what he deserved or ask why we have a MLK day. I disagree with a lot of what they say, but they aren't all bad, and yeah, they clearly do work for Fox though.

some are exaggerations to be sure but others are hot takes I’ve absolutely have heard before

And to be fair, you can take the opposite of what you just said and replace FOX with CNN you will have the exact same thing.

I'm not sure which Fox News you are watching then. The little I've seen with black talking heads I've heard a number of things uttered that resemble the OP's remarks....

I'm not sure which Fox News you are watching then. The little I've seen with black talking heads I've heard a number of things uttered that resemble the OP's remarks....
    I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but there are several of them and they don't all say the same thing. And I really haven't seen any of them say Floyd got what he deserved. I haven't seen any of them ask why we have MLK day. And I watch Fox News somewhat regularly because that's what my wife wants. I don't really care for it, but it's what's on the TV while I'm working.

article on how to combat misuse of the term
    ==============================

.......Of course, telling people that you oppose teaching the truth about American history sounds bad. So instead, conservative pundits and Republican politicians use the term "critical race theory," using the thin justification that the facts teachers are sharing have often been unearthed by people doing academic research within this framework. The word "theory," in particular, has a long history of setting off poorly educated conservative voters who think it just means "not facts" and don't know that, in academia, it is used to mean an analytical framework for developing factual information. Think of the hysterics around evolutionary theory, for instance, which many conservatives would dismiss as "just a theory," not grasping that it was empirically sound.

And that's the crux of it: Schoolchildren aren't really being taught critical race theory, but critical race theory — the actual framework, not the right-wing scare term — is a legitimate academic pursuit that has turned up important facts that white supremacists of yore have covered up. And it's those factsthings like the practice of redlining, the truth about what the Confederacy stood for, what Martin Luther King Jr. really believed, and the history of lynching and events like the Tulsa race massacre — that conservatives want to silence.

That is why, for instance, they are so afraid of schools teaching the 1619 Project by the New York Times. Not because, as they falsely claim, it's inaccurate. No, the real objection underlying all the noise is that the 1619 Project is true. Conservatives want facts, the thing that all people claim they want children to learn, to be replaced with flat-out lies about American history.....

Indeed, the idea that "critical race theory" was just the kind of phrase that would easily scare conservatives can be traced back to the time that Andrew Breitbart was still alive. He and the other editors at Breitbart understood that "critical," "race," and "theory" are three words their readers don't really understand well — but do fear — and smashed together, could be leveraged as a Voltron of racist paranoia. Salon reporter Alex Seitz-Wald found, in 2012, that a search for "critical race theory" on Breitbart "returns an astonishing 871 results, over 680 from the past month alone." Rarely, if ever, was the term used accurately.

So what can liberals do to fight back against the spread of conspiracy theories about "critical race theory" that misrepresent both what critical race theory is and what is actually being taught in public schools?........

And to be fair, you can take the opposite of what you just said and replace FOX with CNN you will have the exact same thing.
    So, this isn’t true. Fox has a long sordid history of promoting lies and propaganda. Where is the CNN equivalent to Pizza Gate, or birtherism, or just about an endless list of lies and more lies. The panel I watched on Fox during the 2016 campaign that asserted that Clinton had a serious brain illness, either a tumor or Parkinson’s, was just a nightly occurrence with one false story after another. CRT is their latest propaganda scare, it’s just as false as all the others.

You are lying to yourself when you say what you said above.

Tucker Carlson is now promoting the idea that the FBI set up the insurrection. They planned it, and helped carry it out. Even though everyone in this country witnessed what Trump and his lackeys did and said leading up to it. He hates America. Or rather he hates the idea of an America where people who look like him are not completely in control, and he’s willing to destroy our country rather than see a true democratic outcome in future elections.

Fox, Newsmax and OAN are basically propaganda arms of people who want to destroy America.

I'm game
    They're looking for the "We DO need CRT, students DON'T learn enough black history" viewpoint

They're looking for the "George Floyd DIDN'T deserved was he got" viewpoint

They're looking for the "There IS police brutality" viewpoint

They're looking for the "All these voter laws make it HARDER for black people to vote" viewpoint

They're looking for the "Racism exists and black people are NOT just whining about it" viewpoint

They're looking for the "There IS such a thing as racism, structural, institutional" viewpoint

They're looking for the "Racism exists, and it is NOT mostly against white people" viewpoint

They're looking for the in 2008 "having a black president WOULD be a big deal" viewpoint

They're looking for the "we NEED to have a Martin Luther King Day" viewpoint
    Doesn't seem to be exactly the same thing to me

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how most major news outlets have covered this. They don't seem to be chasing the outrage on the right and trying to justify it they way they would have in the past. They are covering the actions being taken and the "complaints" on the right, but providing context so that readers/viewers can make up their own minds. And they aren't over focusing on it. A far cry from the propaganda on Fox News and other right wing news outlets. The increasing diversity in newsrooms seems to finally be having a positive and balanced effect in how stories are covered.

Where is the CNN equivalent to Pizza Gate, or birtherism, or just about an endless list of lies and more lies.
    He's just gonna say Russia, the marching orders on that haven't changed.

Speaking of, I'm still waiting on my self-segregation email.

So, this isn’t true. Fox has a long sordid history of promoting lies and propaganda. Where is the CNN equivalent to Pizza Gate, or birtherism, or just about an endless list of lies and more lies. The panel I watched on Fox during the 2016 campaign that asserted that Clinton had a serious brain illness, either a tumor or Parkinson’s, was just a nightly occurrence with one false story after another. CRT is their latest propaganda scare, it’s just as false as all the others.

You are lying to yourself when you say what you said above.

Tucker Carlson is now promoting the idea that the FBI set up the insurrection. They planned it, and helped carry it out. Even though everyone in this country witnessed what Trump and his lackeys did and said leading up to it. He hates America. Or rather he hates the idea of an America where people who look like him are not completely in control, and he’s willing to destroy our country rather than see a true democratic outcome in future elections.

Fox, Newsmax and OAN are basically propaganda arms of people who want to destroy America.
    Remember that time on CNN and other democratic media outlets, they had stories about Trump being unfit for office, Doctors observing him walking to a helicopter and diagnosing him for certain things? No? OK. Remember that time that CNN went on and on about how he got 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream and he only gave his wife 1? No? Ok. Remember how all the evidience of Trump being a russian spy and lackey were in 'plain sight' and the 2 year investigation? No? Remember the 'pee' tape that CNN went on and on about, had guests discuss it and it turns out, it wasn't even true? No, that weird. Uh. It must have been FOX.

Ok. I think you have it completely and totally backwards, as per usual, but I will seek counseling because I am off the deep end......

Remember that time on CNN and other democratic media outlets, they had stories about Trump being unfit for office, Doctors observing him walking to a helicopter and diagnosing him for certain things? No? OK. Remember that time that CNN went on and on about how he got 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream and he only gave his wife 1? No? Ok. Remember how all the evidience of Trump being a russian spy and lackey were in 'plain sight' and the 2 year investigation? No? Remember the 'pee' tape that CNN went on and on about, had guests discuss it and it turns out, it wasn't even true? No, that weird. Uh. It must have been FOX.

Ok. I think you have it completely and totally backwards, as per usual, but I will seek counseling because I am off the deep end......

Thanks for proving just how far off the deep end Fox News and most on the right have gone.

Thanks for proving just how far off the deep end Fox News and most on the right have gone.
    Not a problem. Glad I could help.
    It is strange that the simple statement of facts and an opinion that is contrary to one you hold is now considered the deep end. Truly fascinating.

Not a problem. Glad I could help.
    It is strange that the simple statement of facts and an opinion that is contrary to one you hold is now considered the deep end. Truly fascinating.

It has nothing to do with having a different opinion. It's that you're comparing stories that are either legitimate (Russian Election Interference) or that where biased but, as you acknowledged, largely forgettable and minor that CNN did to long running big stories on FOX that where outright propaganda lies. Things like Pizzagate, Birtherism and Election Fraud that have led to things like a gunmen holding up a pizza store, a rise in right wing nationalism, a January 6th violent Insurrection and the resulting spree of voter restrictions all based on lies.

Like I said, off the deep end.

Last edited:
    It has nothing to do with having a different opinion. It's that you're comparing stories that are either legitimate (Russian Election Interference) or that where biased but, as you acknowledged, largely forgettable and minor that CNN did to long running big stories on FOX that where outright propaganda lies. Things like Pizzagate, Birtherism and Election Fraud that have led to things like a gunmen holding up a pizza store, a rise in right wing nationalism, a January 6th violent Insurrection and the resulting spree of voter restrictions all based on lies.

Like I said, off the deep end.
    Do you want to hear something crazy, I disagree with just about everything you said here.
    Crazy how we forget left wing crazies launching armed assaults/burn down police stations, citizen's business, attempt to assasinate congressmen at a charity baseball practice, attempt to destroy an ICE facility, killed a lot of innocent people all over narratives pushed by the left media and you just typed out what most of those wacko also went crazy for, false narratives.

I guess the best case scenario, we are holding hands as we take that plunge together....off the deep end

Do you want to hear something crazy, I disagree with just about everything you said here.
    Crazy how we forget left wing crazies launching armed assaults/burn down police stations, citizen's business, attempt to assasinate congressmen at a charity baseball practice, attempt to destroy an ICE facility, killed a lot of innocent people all over narratives pushed by the left media and you just typed out what most of those wacko also went crazy for, false narratives.

I guess the best case scenario, we are holding hands as we take that plunge together....off the deep end

Of course you disagreed. Your side is extremely prone to the false equivalency. It's basically what Fox News and all of the right wing is built on.

The media covering Race issues, protest, riots or anything else is not equivalent to Fox News knowingly pushing false propaganda lies and distorting their audiences view of reality.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom