Critical race theory (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveXA

Reaction score
    Frankly, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the Critical Race Theory curriculum. What is it, where does it come from, and is it legitimate? Has anyone here read it and maybe give a quick summary?

If this has been covered in another thread, then I missed it.

Some better information on what's happening in Loudourn County School District. Fox really can't be trusted with this subject matter other than to play to the white grievance/fear side of it. And it works exceedingly well every time for their audience.

Spoiler alert, this is a district with a lot of historic and entrenched racism.

Last edited:
    Farb: what does this have to do with critical race theory? It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the subject of this thread.

Note, also applies to zztop’s post as well. Maybe these should go in the racism thread?
    I thought 2 articles about parents fighting to not have CRT taught in schools would fit in better on the CRT thread.

Edited to add this: https://www.foxnews.com/media/critical-race-theory-kory-yeshua-father-daughter-viral

Before the conversation shifts to 'white supremacist' against CRT being taught in schools. This family says it wonderfully.

I thought 2 articles about parents fighting to not have CRT taught in schools would fit in better on the CRT thread.

Edited to add this: https://www.foxnews.com/media/critical-race-theory-kory-yeshua-father-daughter-viral

Before the conversation shifts to 'white supremacist' against CRT being taught in schools. This family says it wonderfully.

This isn’t critical race theory if I understood what I read in the Fox article correctly. I know they say that in their link, but it doesn’t seem to be about teaching at all, really. It’s about some sort of program called an equity ambassador. The Fox article is woefully short of facts and long on painting with a very broad brush.

Buried deep in the article: “Although the county has said it doesn't teach CRT, critics say the terminology and ideas are too similar not to originate from that particular school of thought.”

So after many paragraphs blurring the difference between whatever this program is (which they also never describe) and critical race theory, they finally admit that the county says it isn’t teaching CRT but that critics say it is. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the “critics” wouldn’t know CRT if they read it.

CRT, as I understand it, is a college level curriculum. What the schools in Loudoun County are trying to do is get past their issues with racism. The article coldseat posted gives a whole lot more information and puts things in context.

So, this is my understanding after skimming both articles.

This county has had numerous complaints for years from opposing teams, their own students, parents, etc, about openly racist talk, racist bullying, racist chants against opposing teams, etc. They hired a consulting firm to study the situation. The first thing they did was survey people to see if there was really a problem, and then they proposed ways to deal with it. I am not sure that these even involve classroom teaching, or if they are extra-curricular.

Some parents who were concerned about the issue formed a FB group where they discussed how to change the situation. As things go, there was gossip about which parents were offended by trying to deal with the issue, and they made a list of people who are openly opposed to discussing racism at all. Someone made a stupid suggestion that the website of the group opposed to this discussion could be hacked to redirect people to their own website. Nobody acted on it, and several said that would be wrong.

Screenshots of the conversation on FB were leaked, and the right wing press plus Fox News put it in heavy rotation. As a result, the parents who were concerned about racism have been targeted, threatened, their children have been threatened in some cases. Some have already moved away from the county, some have erased their entire social media presence to avoid the threats.

Meanwhile the parents who were listed felt targeted as well, although it doesn’t seem there have been the types or at least the sheer volume of threats as the other parents have seen.

In a really classical example of gaslighting, the parents who supported the school system’s efforts to promote respect for diversity and the school system itself are being accused of teaching children to hate and promoting divisiveness.

I guess the use of racial slurs by students and teachers alike were not the problem, it was calling attention to the fact that this is a bad thing that’s the real hatefulness. There aren’t enough eyeroll emojis in the world for this level of spite.

Mother's pet gonna parrot the gqp line re: CRT and systemic racism...

Mike Pence has to be one of the strangest, weirdest individuals in history....I mean forget Trumper party over country, he goes all Trumper party over FAMILY....

Never see eye to eye on that day? that is some kind of deep sickness right there, hoping he someday gets the help he needs....

https://www.newsweek.com/columbia-p...al-race-theory-urges-parents-withdraw-1599470

professor at Columbia University denounced a New Jersey prep school on Twitter after an English teacher resigned her position because of the school's critical race theory teachings.

Professor and writer John McWhorter took to Twitter on Tuesday to commend former Dwight-Englewood School English teacher Dana Stangel-Plowe for speaking out on issues inside the school in her resignation letter, which was published by the Foundation Against Intolerance and Racism.

"All hail Dana Stangel-Plowe, who has resigned from the Dwight-Englewood school, which teaches students 'antiracism' that sees life as nothing but abuse of power, and teaches that cringing, hostile group identity against oppression is the essence of a self," McWhorter tweeted.

He followed up with a second tweet, calling on parents to pull their children out of Dwight-Englewood. "Truly antiracist parents, in the name of love of their kids, should pull them from the Dwight-Englewood school as of next fall. Only this will arrest these misguided Elect parishioners from their quest to forge a new reality for us all."

I guess this is another secretive 'white supremist'? I am sure he will try and be canceled.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-mother-slams-critical-race-theory

A Black mother slammed critical race theory (CRT) on Thursday, telling the Florida Board of Education that it was teaching hate and ruining the "greatest country in the world."

"Just coming off of May 31, marking the 100 years [since] the Tulsa riots, it is sad that we are even contemplating something like critical race theory, where children will be separated by their skin color and deemed permanently oppressors or oppressed in 2021," said mom Keisha King.

King's comments came after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis asked the school board to pass a rule banning CRT and associated ideas in schools.

This is not about college and this lady says it perfectly.

The right wing should create a Passive Race Theory (PRT) to compete with CRT in schools. Because god forbid we look at race and it's roll throughout history critically in this country. :rolleyes:

The more the outrage grows on the right, the clearer it becomes that this is about censoring what students learn about our history.

There’s nothing Fox loves more than a black hating black

Well, to be sure, there are some black conservatives and opponents of CRT out there. And of course Fox does love putting them on TV. They do have several black talking heads, so they're definitely trying to play that angle up. I dunno, everyone has their own worldviews, so they're gonna view topics like this through their own lens.

There’s nothing Fox loves more than a black hating black
    Why would disagreeing with someone mean 'hating' them. Can a black person not have an opinion different from a white hating black? And more to that, does not CNN and liberal outlets love to line up white hating whites?

I blame Harambe for this stupidness.

This is the Onion, so obviously satire. But worth the read.

Why would disagreeing with someone mean 'hating' them. Can a black person not have an opinion different from a white hating black? And more to that, does not CNN and liberal outlets love to line up white hating whites?

I blame Harambe for this stupidness.

I don't have a problem with disagreeing. I don't have a problem with black conservatives. I don't have a problem with conservatives

I do have a problem with extreme partisan nutjobs

Now I don't watch Fox so this may be wrong but it sure seems that the black talking heads on Fox are mostly there to talk about racial issues. Are any offering their view on the G7 conference right now? (again they may be)

But it doesn't feel like that's the viewpoint of theirs Fox is looking for

They're looking for the "We don't need CRT, students are forced to learn too much black history as it is" viewpoint

They're looking for the "Maybe George Floyd deserved was he got" viewpoint

They're looking for the "There is no police brutality" viewpoint

They're looking for the "All these voter laws make it easier for black people to vote" viewpoint

They're looking for the "I wish black people would stop whining about racism" viewpoint

They're looking for the "There's no such thing as racism, structural, institutional or otherwise" viewpoint

They're looking for the "IF racism exists, it's against white people" viewpoint

They're looking for the in 2008 "Why would having a black president be a big deal?" viewpoint

They're looking for the "Why do we have a Martin Luther King Day?" viewpoint

And when these viewpoints are offered on air the clips are later and gleefully posted, retweeted, shared all over the internet (including a certain NFL team political spin off board) as a real AHA! moment, "You see! YOU SEE!!!! Look at what this ONE black person says! How can racism be real when this ONE black person says it isn't. I win!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom